Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 PM

64 posts, read 263,726 times

Advertisements

homeward bound, you described NC to a T. Your points are what I was trying to explain as a better quality of life in NY. Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.... hey, is the "lake" in your name by any chance refering to Lake Ontario?
No, although I have fished on Ontario a few times. I used it because I have always lived on or near a lake. In NY we had a place on Rushford Lake which is south of Rochester.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
Default You are all sheep

Ahhh Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at all of you who want to move to North Carolina. Keep your bags packed, don't bother unpacking, you'll be needing them for the return trip. Especially those who live upscale, urban lifestyles. You are all sheep. I love to see the Lexus with NY plates, the fake tanned NY woman, her dirtbag NYC lawyer husband, getting into an argument with a good ol' boy in the parking lot, him with his pickup truck with gun rack. He may spit some chewing tobacco on your $800 Armani shoes, NY'ers, but you can always sue him and get the rights to his trailer.

Wait till you see the artificial lakes so polluted you can't swim in them, the smog that is deforesting our trees, the mosquitoes, the humidity that feels like a giant dog is breathing on you. But don't worry, Long Islanders, the Williams Sonoma has air-conditioning. Like good NY pizza and Chinese food? It might take a while for the chinese guy on his bike to deliver Chow Mein from NJ to NC, because thats how close the nearest good Chinese food is. Or the pizza that is Prego sauce on cardboard. High quality food here is always available at Red Lobster.

Sheep.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:51 PM

146 posts, read 638,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump
Ahhh Ha Ha Ha. I laugh at all of you who want to move to North Carolina. Keep your bags packed, don't bother unpacking, you'll be needing them for the return trip. Especially those who live upscale, urban lifestyles. You are all sheep. I love to see the Lexus with NY plates, the fake tanned NY woman, her dirtbag NYC lawyer husband, getting into an argument with a good ol' boy in the parking lot, him with his pickup truck with gun rack. He may spit some chewing tobacco on your $800 Armani shoes, NY'ers, but you can always sue him and get the rights to his trailer.

Wait till you see the artificial lakes so polluted you can't swim in them, the smog that is deforesting our trees, the mosquitoes, the humidity that feels like a giant dog is breathing on you. But don't worry, Long Islanders, the Williams Sonoma has air-conditioning. Like good NY pizza and Chinese food? It might take a while for the chinese guy on his bike to deliver Chow Mein from NJ to NC, because thats how close the nearest good Chinese food is. Or the pizza that is Prego sauce on cardboard. High quality food here is always available at Red Lobster.

Sheep.
Gump, make plenty of room for the Islanders they are a coming.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 PM

25 posts, read 87,071 times
Forest Gump,sir,your right.The same people that are making a mess out of NC and SC have messed up rural NJ,they move in with their ideas how things should be done and try to make it like where they came from.While we may or may not move South,I wouldn't have the bad manners to try to change things.Think if you were a quest in someones home,would you start changing things and making them "better"?I may come from NJ but I'm a pick-up driving,blue collar redneck,I say yes sir and no ma'am.I'm sure the good ol'boys in NY don't like what your doing to their area either.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:14 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Default Who else is movong?? ME!

We went to the Charlotte area 3 times to look around before buying in a subdivision in Mooresville (Iredell county). All I know is that I'm getting more for my $$ in NC than I am in NY. I have an old, small house in need of repairs that I'm being out taxed of because of all the new mansions that are going up around me. Services are minimal & the schools are way overcrowded. In NC, I'm getting more house that's new, better services & a child that's entering a HS only a few miles down the road. I can afford to live a comfortable, good life in NC on an NYPD pension. Can't do that in NY without having to still work a F/T job.

Everyone I've had the pleasure of meeting in NC has been more than helpful & gracious to us, very warm & friendly. My new neighbors next door are from NJ & lots of people in the subdivision are from LI & upstate NY (retired FDNY & NYPD) We are very happy with our decision to move there come August. BTW...go to Brooklyn Boys in Mooresille for EXCELLENT tastes-like-NY pizza! No cardboard with prego sauce there!

Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
NC is overrated.... it might take you 11 years to figure that out like it did me, but you will. I'm not saying it's not the right thing for you or for anybody. But it's definitely overrated. Like, EXTREMELY overrated. And I seriously started to laugh out loud when you mentioned overcrouded schools. NC is to overcrouded schools as Long Island is to people with the last name Romano or taable possessions.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-28-2006 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-29-2006, 05:43 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
Those moving back to NY are NOT coming back to LI, there is a huge difference between the upstate area of i'minformed and lakeman to LI, so remember the costs up there may very well be less than NC...I have yet to see anyone from LI that has moved to NC return because they A-cannot afford to and B-from what I've read - do not want to...while this feud goes back and forth, I know many people who would like to stay here on LI but cannot afford to, many of no choice to leave due to the high costs - eveyone keep in mind the views expressed here in any area are limited to those of us on the forum...(we are a small few) ask 10 people, you will get 10 different opinions, we all must keep that in mind ..

Old 06-29-2006, 06:01 AM

Something else is the produce in NC. The fresh vegetables eg.(corn, tomatoes, strawberries) you get from the local farmers markets and roadside stands, taste like the stuff you get at the grocery store in winter.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:00 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
People don't want to hear the truth if it's not what they invision to be so. A lot (not all) of the people moving down here really don't see any problems. Many just believe that everything will be better once they move south and escape the evilness that is the northeast. If they were to take a reality check they'd realize that as with everthing, there are tradeoffs..... depending on the individual, some can be worth it, while others are not. For me personaly , AFTER moving and living down here for a long time, I realized the tradeoff of not being near family was most definitely NOT worth it, and that's why I'm moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York