Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,297 times

Advertisements

Good Points: NC has a good economy, the weather is mild year-round. Housing prices at the moment are attractive(especially to a New Yorker).

Bad Points: NC is homophobic, mostly fundamentalist(which means social life revolves around a narrow group of like-minded individuals at church). NASCAR is King. The people are not friendly to outsiders generally(unless you happen to be of like kind). Barbeque restaurants abound and just about every business has the word "Carolina" in its title. The state is also too close to my state of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Bad Points: NC is homophobic, mostly fundamentalist(which means social life revolves around a narrow group of like-minded individuals at church). NASCAR is King. The people are not friendly to outsiders generally(unless you happen to be of like kind). Barbeque restaurants abound and just about every business has the word "Carolina" in its title. The state is also too close to my state of Virginia.
Our church is gay-friendly, and I find Wake Forest to be pretty open. That being said, Ithink it is perfect for family type people. If I were single I know I would be restless here, unless I was college age.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Good Points: NC has a good economy, the weather is mild year-round. Housing prices at the moment are attractive(especially to a New Yorker).

Actually, a good point is that NCers have standards and won't let themselves be bullied. They have fundamentals and that is a good thing. NASCAR is not as big as you would think down here and so what if people like it? I don't but I would never tell someone that it is "bad". And they bbq here is excellent!

Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Actually, a good point is that NCers have standards and won't let themselves be bullied. They have fundamentals and that is a good thing. ...

I think that the backbone you describe is a great thing.

My family is comfortable here. I admire the strength of the natives.
However, it is open enough for us to have found a comfortable life here so far.

Plus, especially in the triangle there is a place for alternative lifestyles.

I wish the middle class people on Long Island had more of it, seems that all we held dear was swallowed whole.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:04 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,732 times
Backbone? LOL

Drop them off in the South Bronx; let's see how much backbone they have left.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Actually, a good point is that NCers have standards and won't let themselves be bullied. They have fundamentals and that is a good thing. NASCAR is not as big as you would think down here and so what if people like it? I don't but I would never tell someone that it is "bad". And they bbq here is excellent!
It is a good thing Unless they treat outsiders that dont have their same views like cr**!! As in our case and that of many others we met while we lived there. And no we didnt go there trying to change things, we didnt go looking for conflict, they just couldnt understand we didnt believe like them.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:15 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I wish the middle class people on Long Island had more of it, seems that all we held dear was swallowed whole.
Word of advice.....please do not make this comment by referencing ALL the middle class people. I lived on Long Island for 12 years before I recently made the move down here and my family was not like what you described. Don't let the bad apples ruin the entire batch.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43 View Post
Word of advice.....please do not make this comment by referencing ALL the middle class people. I lived on Long Island for 12 years before I recently made the move down here and my family was not like what you described. Don't let the bad apples ruin the entire batch.
... obviously I did not mean all, I mean, my family moved. I have tons of family & friends there, too, many of whom are active in their communities.
Beyond that, read in other places like LI Politics dot com about all the people who are standing up against corruption, & the disintigration of the Island.
We decided that we wanted our lives to change quickly, and that we were on the wrong side of many debates, that is why we left.
I certainly mean no disrespect to those who stay.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:39 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
... obviously I did not mean all, I mean, my family moved. I have tons of family & friends there, too, many of whom are active in their communities.
Beyond that, read in other places like LI Politics dot com about all the people who are standing up against corruption, & the disintigration of the Island.
We decided that we wanted our lives to change quickly, and that we were on the wrong side of many debates, that is why we left.
I certainly mean no disrespect to those who stay.
Thank you for clarifying for me.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 20,858 times
Default Im with you on that

You couldn't pay me to go back to NY I pretty much grew up there - I lived in quite a few places after leaving NY and you could not give me a house for free if I had to live there. The filth, the rude people, the urine stink in the subways, the traffic congestion, the rat race, the 2 hour commute to work....no thank you. I rather stay where I'm at now. N.C has everything I need and would ever want.....great educational system for my kids, great cost of living, nice mild climate, slower paced lifestyle, great healthcare system....etc. I have also lived in CA, FLA, NJ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York