Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
im from NY and go to school down in NC. NC is full of rednecks and is real boring
IF you don't like NC and are only there to go to school, why NOT transfer back to NY?

I could say the same about NY...full of rappers and real boring... but I KNOW that isn't all of NY, just a small portion of it. I have friends who live in NY, just not NYC and they don't even like NYC except for an occasional visit. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCharlotte View Post
I lived in the Hudson Valley for 41 years beofre moving to Charlotte. The winter you just had up there WAS NOT a typicle winter at all. Snow and lots of it and COLD is the norm. Heating bills in the HUNDREDS a month and still all the humidity in the summer so AC bills all summer.

41 Years was enough. You cannot base the past winter as norm!
Actually our winters have changed considerable over the last few years....ask the ski slope operators: they are barely making it some winters and wouldn't make it at all if not for man-made snow....these are NOT the winters of the past at all..

Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 AM

222 posts, read 690,983 times
Default Crusty Italian Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I'm Italain born in Throgs Neck. Kind of big hair and gum snapping. I love crusty Italian bread haven't had it in years. I hope I can get it in NC.

Good luck with that one!!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
I think that many from the north that move to North Carolina, will always feel somewhere in between of liking it and tolerating it. Lets face it when you pack up and move to a different region, there are some difficulties, the south has a different feel to it than most northern areas, and many will never find a comfort level with it. Perhaps in 20 years if that long if this huge influx keeps going on, and I imagine it will, North Carolina will have a very different identity than now, and my feel is alot of people that are natives to there will not like that, I can't say I blame them, when you watch the character of your state change from what you know it to be, it is a very hard thing to do. However I would always need alot of the northern lifestyle where I lived if I relocated to a southern area, and Im not sure it really exists there in any numbers that would not be artificial, and why should it, North Carolina was not meant to be New York or Jersey.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Default I'm informed/lakeman

After reading your posts, now I wonder if NC is the right place for me..........
I will go to NC and look around, but the main jest of most of the posts is that everyone is running from somewhere, why??? I know that the NE is pretty darn expensive, my daughter lives in rural NJ, would go back to NY if I could afford it, but on limited retirement, money is a big consideration. I'm tired of living my life in A/C, house/car/shopping. I want to be outdoors, smell fresh air........hang my clothes on a line, so they smell fresh....go for fresh fruit, pick apples, pumpkins. Have friends over for coffee.

Am I living in a dream world or what.........I've lived for 20 years in Fl. and have had my fill.......but where to go............been to TN......too isolated, houses acres apart, not for me...........SC........crazy and getting very expensive..........now trying NC..........but now I don't know.......any suggestions????

Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Songbird, A few pages back I posted some alternative suggestions you might want to read. All of the NE is not expensive. As you get basically away from the coastline and the big cities the cost of living drops. In some cases, quite dramatically. Areas around Syracuse and pretty much all of "Upstate NY" (away from Albany and at least North of Ulster and Greene counties) is a pretty big drop off in price. As is a lot of Western MA, and VT. So if you are not ready to take the plunge into NC, take a weekend drive and check out those areas and also check out Pike County/Wayne County PA area and DE - south of Dover. Those would be my starting points to find a little bit easier breathing room.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
CMF

1 posts, read 3,954 times
Default First post - thinking of moving south.

This is my first post here. I don't have time to read all 37 pages of this thread so I jumped to the end after reading 10 pages or so.

My family and I currently live in a DC suburb and are toying with the idea of moving south. The goal is to live closer to my family in Orlando and to buy more house for the money. I've been doing some research and found that some southern towns are ranked as the top places to live in the US; they include:

St. Simons Island, GA
Williamsburg, VA
Cary, NC
Raleigh, NC
Mount Pleasant, SC

Also, some of the best high schools in the country are in North Carolina - this is important to us.

This thread causes me to question whether moving further south is the right decision. IF you HAD to pick a place between Richmond and Orlando, where
would you live? We are looking for great high schools and a 5+ bedroom house with a beautifully landscaped yard and an in ground swimming pool. Houses like that in our area run about $1.2M We can buy the same house in the south for about half.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charles

Old 04-27-2007, 12:58 PM

26 posts, read 112,741 times
Oh my God! I made NC to be an affordable paradise. Where southern hospitality reigned supreme and all the creature comforts of home and a safe community were all just outside my front door.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy1 View Post
Oh my God! I made NC to be an affordable paradise. Where southern hospitality reigned supreme and all the creature comforts of home and a safe community were all just outside my front door.
Depends on where you are but if you come looking for all of the above in a metro area, prepare to be disappointed.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy1 View Post
If only you were the only person to believe that...but alas...that fantasy is in the minds of A LOT of people who move to NC and make that little fantasy further and further from the truth every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York