Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 07:07 AM

20 posts, read 46,313 times

Advertisements

So I was read all that you guys wrote!!! Is North Carolina not a good place to live? My family and I are from Ohio we was looking to move next year to North Carolina or somewhere along the ocean!!! What is your opinion? We have children and want a great school for them!!! The neighborhood has to be good b/c I don't want my children to grow up with gangs etc!!! You get my point!!! Please give me any information you may have!!! Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 21,987 times
I moved from Florida to here two years ago and I understand 100% what you are talking about. I bought house here and now is hard to get out from here. My two daughters are in public school and they hate it. The school here is not 50% of the public school in Florida. The teachers don't have authority over the class. The people and their mentality is cruel. They have a big issue with the outsiders and people with color(hispanic or black). My older daughter got depress the first year because the clicks in the school. The students make their own groups by race ,color or if your come from the north etc. The have prejudice.

Don't do it! The school system here is not good. I was living in Florida and I moved here two years ago and I regreted. I have two daughters and they hate the school here. My older daughter got depress the first year that we moved. The job market is bad and the salaries worse.

North Carolina is just for retired people, not for people that has to depend of a salary because there the job market is poor and the salaries worse.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-07-2008 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Hi, my wife and i live in central upstate (Utica/Rome Area) and were moving to south carolina this summer. I've been talking to people that live down there and they say it's nice
good luck

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-07-2008 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: clarified

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isantiago View Post
I moved from Florida to here two years ago and I understand 100% what you are talking about. I bought house here and now is hard to get out from here. My two daughters are in public school and they hate it. The school here is not 50% of the public school in Florida. The teachers don't have authority over the class. The people and their mentality is cruel. They have a big issue with the outsiders and people with color(hispanic or black). My older daughter got depress the first year because the clicks in the school. The students make their own groups by race ,color or if your come from the north etc. The have prejudice.

Don't do it! The school system here is not good. I was living in Florida and I moved here two years ago and I regreted. I have two daughters and they hate the school here. My older daughter got depress the first year that we moved. The job market is bad and the salaries worse.

North Carolina is just for retired people, not for people that has to depend of a salary because there the job market is poor and the salaries worse.
Uh, I don't know what your talking about, but Florida's public schools aren't any better. Neither is the economy - slow job growth and low salaries. Oh, and if Florida isn't for retired people, then I don't know what is! There have to be more retired people in Florida than in any other state.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default In a word....

Quote:

I disagree with most of the assertions in this post. I don't know the posters school(s) or neighborhood but our experience is very different.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
Default Whaaat?

Quote:

I had to register just so I could respond about this post. I've lived in South Florida for most of my life! The schools are COMPLETELY overcrowded, the job market is terrible, the prices keep rising, people can't even afford to live in the same locations. I know plenty of families that rent- one in which is now having to rent a one bedroom instead of a two. My little sister is in the public high school system and she is left out from the majority because she's white. I can understand comparing to northern states, but I must say if you compare NC and FL, you're not going to win the argument that NC is any worse.
I'm actually about to move to NC from FL, and then move more upstate (hopefully NY) in two years. Still, the more north I go, the better it sounds. NC seems like a better deal then FL, but I guess that's just how I see it.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,271 times
Default Hi Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1208 View Post
Hi, we just moved from Nassau Cty to NC in Oct. but we are in the Raleigh area, like it a lot. Good luck
Hi Justin I am new to forums and posting. I have a quick question. I am still living in Queens (lived in nassau too for half my life). My wife and i are thinking about moving to NC (the 3 weve narrowed down, we think, are indian trail, cary, and wilmington). My question is, what do you like about Raliegh?

How is the enonomy (I know nationally its in the toilet, but I meant relatively). Any opportunity?

How are the taxes?

Schools?

Thanks for any imput.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default It all depends...

The issues with the economy are national (actually global) so we're feeling the pain down here as well. Jobs are in short supply because of it though there are still opportunities;l you just have to work harder to find them and you need to be well qualified to be considered. While it's never a good idea to relocate without a source of income lined up it's a particularly bad idea under these current conditions. However many people relocate to the area with an abundance of cash and can afford to wait out the current downturn.

As for the schools, here's what I can tell you. The quality of the education our children receive is equal to and in some ways better than what they received living on the North Shore of Long Island. Plus because the system is county-wide and they bus kids around to keep the mix relatively consistent our children are exposed to a way more diverse student population than they ever would have had we stayed in NY. I like that my son has friends of almost every ethnic and religious persuasion and has quickly learned to see them all as people and not clichés. However there remains the issue with reassignment as school administrators try to keep up with the rapid growth here in the Triangle. I'm not going to lie, that part can be stressful but it's truly the only negative we've encountered and we're not even overly concerned about it because kids adapt.

As for taxes, it's silly what things cost down here relative to the New York area. We pay less than one-fifth in property taxes for our 1.2 acre house versus what or .18 acre house cost on Long Island. Gas is about $.25 per gallon less as well. Utilities for us have run about 50% less, auto insurance about 60% less and on it goes. There are some hidden costs (e.g. car taxes run about $200 or so per car) and unless you live within certain city limits you have to pay for your own trash removal ($300 per year). But overall you'll feel good about how it all shakes out.

If you do your homework, visit the area for an extended period (I recommend at least two visits of five days or more) and still feel good about coming here chances are good the move will work out for you.

The roads here are not lined with gold, the people aren't waiting for you with open arms. But life here is easier in many important ways and while the people operate differently here as opposed to NY, if you're committed to assimilating and becoming part of the community you will. It's taken a little longer than we anticipated but it eventually happened but only because we were and remain committed to making this home.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
Alittle about me first,
I am a single mom who decided to leave a relationship of 23+ years and re-start her life (with her daughter to soon follow) in a warmer, and what she thought, calmer place.

Yet, I have never felt so badly in all my life. First I moved to a suburb outside of ATL. Not too bad there, but traffic was horrendous and I met someone I considered truly special. I believed his words and followed our well-thought out plan to relocate and eventually get married. So, I moved to East North Carolina 3 years ago with him. Shortly, after I landed things went south ...besides the location. He turned out to be exactly the type I see around here BIG TIME. That is...Lazy Crazy.

The local people here I find rude, ignorant, lazy and bible thumping without a true clue of what "their good book" says.

Don't get me wrong, I had 3 southern grandparents who meant the world to me. I never figured on being in the position I am now. NEVER EVER did I think I would find such a cultural clash (is it?).

Unfortunately, I found many of the local people here are clanish, uneducated and without a conscience.

Men treat women like children even if they don't have a job, money, benefits or an idea on how to get either aside from finding a woman who does.

Families (both men and women relatives) sit and watch rude displays of behavior from the XY-Chromo types and act like nothing is happening. They live in some kind of code of family silence when the men folk act up.

I am not religious, and granted, that would make things harder on me being in the bible-belt, but I thought I had a social network who would look after me even if one of theirs misbehaves and acts a fool.

My brothers would never get away with treating a woman rudely in front of me. NEVER! Who was right stuff and the details of the relationship would not matter to me if I see rude and hurtful words and or actions. I would not sit there and put a stop to meanspiritedness regardless of what sparked it. You don't sh## where you eat...most animals even know that.

I lost all respect for most of the locals here. I NEED to leave or else someone will end up in a casket or be closing mine...FO REAL.

Sad, unhappy and disrespected former NYer

Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
I think if I moved south it would be to Charleston, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York