Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:17 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times

Advertisements

I've been posting queries on Upstate NY for a big road trip through the state on my way to and from Maine.

On the return I will be passing through the southern Finger Lakes with probably an overnight in Elmira or Ithaca (thinking of staying at the Ithaca Ecovillage, but that's still open...Elmira also sounds like a good option for me, for what I'm into).

But the big thing on the way down there is Binghamton. I've been reading a bit about the place in my old WPA Guide to New York, which is a good historical resource at least (mentions something called the BBB Binghamton Busy Boys shoe factory!), and it sounds like the kind of place I'd like to explore a bit...actually it sounds like a PA mountain city a bit (like Scranton or Johnstown maybe...both places Ive visited and liked a lot).

So for modern Binghamton, could you all recommend perhaps a good driving tour through some old neighborhoods...particularly old blue collar/ethnic ones, with old churches, old industrial districts, maybe a good spot for lunch like a neighborhood place that is a favorite with the locals....I ran across these on my other trips to the Northeast and was interested if something like that is in Binghamton.

I guess for example would be a place that has some sort of ethnic specialty (like for example I ran across an out-of-the-way place in Syracuse that served Polish stuff and an Irish place that had those salt potatoes...this is just an example...).

So, looking forward to seeing Binghamton and vicinity (from reading about the area in that guide and looking at maps, it looks like there is a string of industrial towns in a river valley, with Binghamton the biggest), up close and in real life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I work with a guy from the area that worked at the Little Venice restaurant in the city. There should be spots that serve Spiedies, which is a Binghamton area creation. There's this festival: Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally - July 31 August 1-2, 2015 - Binghamton, NY

Endicott has a Little Italy on its North Side and Johnson City is historically known for its Slavic/Eastern European population. Both are company towns formed to manufacture Endicott-Johnson Shoes. In the Union-Endicott school district, a couple/few elementary schools are named after the founders. IBM still has a small presence in Endicott and started in the area.

To be honest, given what you are looking for, those things shouldn't be hard to find in the area. Just take Main Street.

You might like to check this church in Johnson City out: Home - Sacred Heart Ukrainian Catholic Church

Also, you may want to check out Recreation Park on Binghamton's West Side, which has free Carousel rides during the warmer months. I believe that CFJ Park in Johnson City has them too. Parks Department

Parks & Recreation | City of Binghamton

Carousels - Binghamton Convention and Visitors Bureau

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-22-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
http://www.sharkeysbinghamtonny.com/

Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I work with a guy from the area that worked at the Little Venice restaurant in the city. There should be spots that serve Spiedies, which is a Binghamton area creation. There's this festival: Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally - July 31 August 1-2, 2015 - Binghamton, NY

Endicott has a Little Italy on its North Side and Johnson City is historically known for its Slavic/Eastern European population. Both are company towns formed to manufacture Endicott-Johnson Shoes. In the Union-Endicott school district, a couple/few elementary schools are named after the founders. IBM still has a small presence in Endicott and started in the area.

To be honest, given what you are looking for, those things shouldn't be hard to find in the area. Just take Main Street.

You might like to check this church in Johnson City out: Home - Sacred Heart Ukrainian Catholic Church

Also, you may want to check out Recreation Park on Binghamton's West Side, which has free Carousel rides during the warmer months. I believe that CFJ Park in Johnson City has them too. Parks Department

Parks & Recreation | City of Binghamton

Carousels - Binghamton Convention and Visitors Bureau
Here's a streetview of the parks. Here's Rec Park and its Carousel behind the lot: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...8ad1fe1ff276d9

Here's CFJ Park's Carousel: https://www.google.com/maps/place/CF...73fe945d0e0623

Here's the Carousel at George W Johnson Park in Endicott: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...826711e0bdf7ff

Here's the Carousel at Highland Park in Endwell: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...f625a9f064ac3c

Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 PM

You may like something like this too: Village of Endicott New York - Little Italy

Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM

There's this as well: http://www.pastny.org/tours/support/...e-Churches.pdf

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM

If you are into Zoos, the Zoo at Ross Park is the 5th oldest in the US: http://www.rossparkzoo.com

Ross Park also has a Carousel.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 AM

Just curious, but has anyone eaten at this diner? https://dinerhotline.wordpress.com/2...-its-location/

How is it?

Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 AM

22 posts, read 32,416 times
Sad to say the glory days of BC are over, but many of the old favorites are still around. Just don't go walking around at night, it's not safe anymore... watch your back even during the day.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseToLoveNY View Post
Sad to say the glory days of BC are over, but many of the old favorites are still around. Just don't go walking around at night, it's not safe anymore... watch your back even during the day.
In Binghamton? It isn't different from most cities and the metro is usually one of the "safest" in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York