U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM

15 posts, read 52,733 times

Advertisements

I was taking an alternate route to Hartford.
I had to take RT-17 in NJ to 287 by Sloatsburg to I-84.

Most of the times when I have driven to CT through Rockland it has been by the Garden State to the Tappen Zee.
While the area looks rocky, it defintely looks suburban.

When I drove this route however, it was different.
It really did not look like, upon entering Rockland at I-287 in Sloatsburg, like I was in the suburban NY region.

It looked very rocky, hilly, and not developed.
It looked rural.
This pretty much continued all the way up I-87 until I got to Newburgh where there seemed to development and sprawl.

I wanted to know
1) Is Orange County, New York rural/suburban/sprawling?
-It seems very confusing because it has a large population (400,000) but it also has a big amount of land to lower the density AND aside from Newburgh...off I-87 it looks quite rural.
2) Is Rockland County, NY rural at all?
-I know the eastern part if not, but what about western and northern Rockland?
-Again from I-87 it looked quite rural...was this the case or is it an illusion?
3) Overall it just seems odd.
-Driving through NJ on the turnpike and Garden State there is no question when you are in a rural or suburban area, and the same is true on I-287 and I-95 in Westchester.
-However, Rockland and Orange County really DO NOT look at all from the road like North Jersey/Southern Westchester...they really look like say Front Royal, VA.
-So what's the deal...if they aren't rural then how come they have that vibe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM

7,450 posts, read 10,652,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
I was taking an alternate route to Hartford.
I had to take RT-17 in NJ to 287 by Sloatsburg to I-84.

Most of the times when I have driven to CT through Rockland it has been by the Garden State to the Tappen Zee.
While the area looks rocky, it defintely looks suburban.

When I drove this route however, it was different.
It really did not look like, upon entering Rockland at I-287 in Sloatsburg, like I was in the suburban NY region.

It looked very rocky, hilly, and not developed.
It looked rural.
This pretty much continued all the way up I-87 until I got to Newburgh where there seemed to development and sprawl.

I wanted to know
1) Is Orange County, New York rural/suburban/sprawling?
-It seems very confusing because it has a large population (400,000) but it also has a big amount of land to lower the density AND aside from Newburgh...off I-87 it looks quite rural.
2) Is Rockland County, NY rural at all?
-I know the eastern part if not, but what about western and northern Rockland?
-Again from I-87 it looked quite rural...was this the case or is it an illusion?
3) Overall it just seems odd.
-Driving through NJ on the turnpike and Garden State there is no question when you are in a rural or suburban area, and the same is true on I-287 and I-95 in Westchester.
-However, Rockland and Orange County really DO NOT look at all from the road like North Jersey/Southern Westchester...they really look like say Front Royal, VA.
-So what's the deal...if they aren't rural then how come they have that vibe?
That area of the I-87 (NYS Thruway) runs through the New York-New Jersey Highlands and contains several large state parks including Harriman, Bear Mountain and Sterling Forest. The Highlands are low lying mountains and are part of the Appalachian mountains (yeah I know that close to NYC!). As for Orange County, it has alot of good farmland and is a mixture of suburban and rural right now. But with three interstates crossing the county one has to wonder how much farmland will be left in 50 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York