Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM

701 posts, read 3,313,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
They take advantage of the programs legally available to them, as do millions of other americans. And they take advantage of tax loopholes as do millions of other americans.

They give to charities within their communities, support large families, usually sending all their kids to private schools, and do this on incomes they earn without college degrees mostly. Do they fall short in broader philanthropy and community involvement compared to every other part of the Jewish community? yes. Do they have financial strains almost unheard of in most other parts of the Jewish community? Also yes.

as for English, it is in fact true that many hasidim in Williamsburg and Kiryas Joel speak little English. I do not know about Monsey.

Since mostly they immigrated in the 1950's, I don't think too many except for the young adults are 3rd generation Americans.
No, they don't just take advantage of legally available programs. They take advantage of the legal ones --- including taking illegal advantage. Again, I'm not talking universally. I don't want to paint every Hasid, and every sect, with the same brush. (And there are plenty of non-Hasidic Americans who similarly defraud the system). But largely it is true.
There were so many instances where I saw them investigated for fraud, but the DA was pressured to drop any charges.

I'm reminded of the story of Hasidim who were smuggling drugs, and their defense was that they thought they were just smuggling diamonds. (As if they would have no moral qualms about that).
SCHLEPPING TOWARD ECSTASY - HOW NYC HASIDS SMUGGLED CLUB DRUGS - AND INSPIRED A NEW FILM | Crime, Law Enforcement & Corrections > Criminal Offenses from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/crime-law-enforcement-corrections/criminal-offenses/14507100-1.html - broken link)

Of course, you also have Hasidic Rabbis involved in money laundering for drug dealers:
unorthodoxjew.blogspot.com/2005/10/chassidic-rabbis-implicated-in.html

Here though, is an example of a criminal fraud conviction in Monsey, very recently:

Monsey couple spared jail after repaying $76G stolen from welfare programs | LoHud.com | The Journal News

Just last year, you had the massive government corruption arrests in New Jersey, which included many Hasidic Rabbis:

Informant, Rabbi's Son Allegedly Aided Massive New Jersey Corruption Bust - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Even going back a few years, here is an article from the NY Times in 1997, describing how many Hasidim rely on the welfare system, AND manipulate the system:

When Work Is Not Enough - Religion and Welfare Shape Economics for the Hasidim - Series - NYTimes.com

Moving to your last point, not sure where you get the impression that the bulk of Hasidim immigrated in the 1950's. I don't know of a massive waive of Hasidic immigration in the 1950's.... Most of the Hasidim that I know, descend from families that immigrated in the late 19th and early 20th Century. (They didn't come to Monsey until the 1950s.... just as other groups flooded Rockland County in the 1950's, after the Tappan Zee bridge was built).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,505,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Moving to your last point, not sure where you get the impression that the bulk of Hasidim immigrated in the 1950's. I don't know of a massive waive of Hasidic immigration in the 1950's.... Most of the Hasidim that I know, descend from families that immigrated in the late 19th and early 20th Century. (They didn't come to Monsey until the 1950s.... just as other groups flooded Rockland County in the 1950's, after the Tappan Zee bridge was built).

they mainly were holocaust survivors who left europe after 1945, including a big group who fled hungary after 1956. Thre were few if any hasidim in the US before 1939. Perhaps you are confusing them with ordinary orthodox Jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasidic...f_Hasidic_life

You really might want to learn more about a group you seem to consider yourself an expert on.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,505,940 times
if you cherry pick every article and every scandal any hasid has been involved in, you can get a list. Most of the folks in Deal were not hasidim, and the guy who was was from a minor sect. Some of the other incidents you mention involve specific individuals or families.

As for the tax issue, here is an article showing it happened on a FEW properties, and it WAS stoppped. Note especially the many ultra orthodox jews in the comments (few other folks read this news source) who supported the crackdown.

Kiryas Joel, NY - Assessor's Crackdown Leads to 50 Properties Off Tax Exemption -- VosIzNeias.com

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
they mainly were holocaust survivors who left europe after 1945, including a big group who fled hungary after 1956. Thre were few if any hasidim in the US before 1939. Perhaps you are confusing them with ordinary orthodox Jews.

Hasidic Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You really might want to learn more about a group you seem to consider yourself an expert on.
I am speaking from direct experience. Specifically, this was reference to the practice of Hasidim in Rockland County avoiding the ordinary citizen responsibility of jury duty. Granted, countless non-Hasidim try to avoid jury duty as well, but among thousands of Hasidim I saw called for jury duty, not a single one out of the thousands ever actually agreed to participate in a jury. And countless numbers of them were third generation Americans, who spoke perfect English, who claimed they did not speak English. (How do I know this? Because I witnessed their interviews when they tried to get out of jury duty. I witnessed as they answered the questions in court (in perfect English), I witnessed as they were asked where they were born, where their parents were born, all in perfect English. And yet continued to claim, in perfect English, "I don't really speak English."

Though the excuse was nonsense, they were always relieved from jury duty, because to do otherwise would create reversible judicial error. (The losing side of the trial would inevitably claim that they lost because of a juror who admitted he didn't speak English!)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
if you cherry pick every article and every scandal any hasid has been involved in, you can get a list. Most of the folks in Deal were not hasidim, and the guy who was was from a minor sect. Some of the other incidents you mention involve specific individuals or families.

As for the tax issue, here is an article showing it happened on a FEW properties, and it WAS stoppped. Note especially the many ultra orthodox jews in the comments (few other folks read this news source) who supported the crackdown.

Kiryas Joel, NY - Assessor's Crackdown Leads to 50 Properties Off Tax Exemption -- VosIzNeias.com

It was stopped by the Town Assessor, who forced it to be stopped! Furthermore, you have no idea who the comments are from! They are mostly "anonymous" and likely were not written by Hasidic Jews! (Just a couple of posts ago, you were supporting the statement that Hasidic Jews don't speak English, yet all the comments are in English!)

So you have just posted yet another example, of the Hasidic community trying to rip off the tax payers, but thankfully the assessors office trying to stop it.

Again, I am not painting every individual with the same brush. I'm just saying that tax fraud, welfare fraud, etc, are rampant in a great number of Hasidic communities. And I have first hand experience witnesses the rampant fraud in Rockland County.

And what's especially upsetting -- even when they are not necessarily doing anything illegal -- They are often able-bodied individuals choosing to live off hard work of the rest of Americans. In Israel, they expect (and receive) preferential treatment in many ways. (Like being exempt from military service). Or in Rockland, they hold the East Ramapo school budget hostage to their demands.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,640,041 times
I am bumping this thread for a reason. My son is in the East Ramapo Central School District. My son's mom and I are considering placing him in private school. I am in a dilemma. On the one hand, I want the best education for my child. At the same time, private school is unaffordable, without most of it being paid from financial aid. We are considering Green Meadow Waldorf School. Looks like a great school. However, we do not have $5,000 - $17,000 in our pockets. I also want to plan to pay for my son's college, which is a long way away, and enough time to raise money.

I would like to know if anyone has, or has had, their child in the East Ramapo School District in the last 10 years. What was it like? What were the teachers and fellow students like. I also want the views of parents of children of Green Meadow. I would like views from both ends, so I can make an informed choice. Peace.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM

45 posts, read 152,267 times
Default suffern senior high school

Is this a good school? Is it safe? My daughter would be a sophomore.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,040,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
It's very very hard to get around the immense political power of the Hasidic community.
Is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York