Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 AM

10 posts, read 39,205 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in the Bronx and living in Glasgow Scotland, I miss NYC so much. I'm moving back home June 13. I think though I miss it most of all because of my family. I miss Manhattan too, no place like it. I don't necessarilly miss the Bronx all that much but I'd take my area of the Bronx over Glasgow any day.

I imagine though that as I get older and will want to expand my family, we will move out of NYC as I don't think the city is a great place to live for families. Sure there are some nice areas, but I don't see us being able to afford it.

I am moving back to my home city with my husband (he is from Glasgow, Scotland), and I'm sure we will enjoy our time in NYC for a while, but after a few years we will probably look to move a bit away from there, probably somewhere in the New England area hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,685,789 times
Default Yep Miss it bigtime!

We moved from Long Island NY to Henderson Nevada like 10 years ago. We still miss NY bigtime!!

Many New Yorkers currently live in Nevada but there really is no place like home. The food isnt the same, of course the weather nor the people. And i feel the traffic here is alot worse then LI, Vegas traffic is all day & night.

We are currently planning a move back east, would move back to LI but the taxes and home prices are a joke. Looking into PA.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:24 AM

38 posts, read 141,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I haven't left yet (unfortunately again) and already miss it.

After living in Florida for over 6 months back in my 20s, I took a greyhound bus back from Florida to NY.
I moved from Fla to NY when I was 15 and found a new life away from gangs and the street violence that was about to consume me in Fla. That move saved my life and introduced me to my first love, whom I miss to this day. Unfortunately, I left there to go to a college in SC. I love NY (or is it the dimmed memory of love?) and plan to spend a week there this summer, for the first time in over 20 years.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:14 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,124,335 times
Been away 20 years and while I still miss friends, certain restaurants, comfortable summers and the beach, I no longer miss the NY experience.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,150 times
Red face yes i miss ny too

I moved to Los Angeles and have missed NY since the day I left. figured LA would be a fine place to live after 20 yrs of nyc. people here are pretty phoney, landlords worse than ny ones. except for the mexican food, the rest of the food is bland. it rains here and people panic. been trying to find a way back east. you're not alone. but until you can go back i suggest finding ways to be part of your community--such as the library, dance or exercise classes, anything that will get you involved.

it helped me. there are nice people everywhere, and some may be able to help you with the transition. good luck.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM

22 posts, read 65,081 times
born and raised in utica but have been in houston since 1997. i am homesick but have no desire to ever go back. at least not the utica area. the decay, economy, hopelessness on top of the long winters was too much.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,389,493 times
Left Buffalo 6 years ago for Charlotte. Turns out, half the city had done the same thing. Met some good friends in Buffalo, enjoyed the Falls area and the proximity to Toronto. Hated Buffalo, the winter, the economy, the crooked politicians, the high taxes, etc.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,881 times
Left Lancaster NY back in 1981 to live in Raleigh NC. Wake county has changed considerably since we moved here. The traffic, and the school system is a disaster. My two daughters that were both raised in North Raleigh, no longer live in North Carolina. Looking to retire in 10 years back in WNY.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:19 PM

38 posts, read 152,115 times
I hope I can answer this question soon if I can get out of this hell hole, liberal state with an satisfying "NO!"

Old 05-23-2007, 05:37 AM

48 posts, read 184,058 times
I moved to NC and miss NYC alot
But not enough to Move back
I visit frequently and that satisfies me
I got priced out .Wish I could afford to stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York