Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 PM

38 posts, read 141,144 times

Advertisements

I moved from Norwich to go to college many years ago and have returned for two visits. I love the town and would move back if it were not so-o-o-o-o cold! It's a great little town; I lived there for 10th through 12th grade and couldn't have gone to high school any better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 PM

302 posts, read 1,047,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneus96 View Post
3 years is long enough and I have tried to find something, ANYTHING, good about Orlando, FL. Still looking. Hope to move back to upstate, NY end of August. Toto, there's no place like home.

Me too!! I just returned from Syracuse for a visit. I'm gone from Orlando come June-July. I've been here too long.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,682,187 times
Default yes i Miss it!

I miss my family, the seasons, food, especially Chinese food, and some of the people! I'm currently in Las Vegas.

But i dont miss the incredibly high prices of homes or the crazy taxes!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 21,000 times
I lived outside of NYC for eleven years- South Florida, Atlanta, and back to SF again...and it was awful. I have some good friends from that time but it really is as though a chunk of life was stolen...especially since my daughter was small and the childhood I had in mind (like my Washington Heights childhood!) was just not there for her. I didn't stop wanting to go home until I got here.

Other than the (dwindling) natural beauty, living in the South was *horrible.* I found people rude, fake, and really very hostile under a veneer of "politeness." New Yorkers are polite. They meet your eyes and connect on the street. You can ask them the time, strike up conversations. In the South people look at the ground when they walk and I hardly ever spoke to a soul. Now that I am (thank god!) back home, albeit upstate, I talk to everyone everywhere about everything, and it's a delight.

The city (NYC) is not what it was, sure, and I'm angry the yuppies from who-knows-where, who litter and drive up apartment prices, have made my hometown unaffordable. But even NYS is just plain different than anywhere else, and I am so happy finally to be HOME. People might ask me my origins meaning nationality and I say I'm a New Yorker, because that's what matters!

BTW, for folks not home yet, H&H Bagels does do express mail order. If anyone in Atlanta wants Indian food, go to Udipi Cafe on Lawrenceville Highway.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM

585 posts, read 2,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodave1916 View Post
I moved from Norwich to go to college many years ago and have returned for two visits. I love the town and would move back if it were not so-o-o-o-o cold! It's a great little town; I lived there for 10th through 12th grade and couldn't have gone to high school any better place.

We thought about moving to Norwich but we've never been there. Someone from Binghampton described it to me as "Mayberry".

Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM

956 posts, read 2,490,152 times
Are you still planning on moving to upstate NY?

Old 04-02-2007, 04:47 PM

585 posts, read 2,218,454 times
Yeah, we will be arriving at the beginning of May. Our house went under contract and we close at the end of the month.

The wife pretty much has a job already lined up with a couple of back ups. Two companies are interested in me so we'll see. But if worse comes to worse and things fall through, we can always stay at her folks for a few weeks.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 12,614 times
I lived in a town called Andes, NY live in texas now but miss the town alot will be visiting this summer can`t wait! Bart

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,838,684 times
We are happy in Wake Forest. We are making a better life here. The kids play basketball and hockey in the street or explore by in the creek behind the house every day after school.
We came here seeking to give ourselves the life that was possible on Li in the 70's, and we have found it.
That being said, I will always love the island and I truly miss being close to my family and friends.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:30 PM

166 posts, read 984,996 times
Nope. I don't miss it, and I wouldn't want to live there, unless I lived in a penthouse in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York