Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:39 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Oh and the little claim that I would "tell you I've been out there to justify my opinion" was quickly proven false. You must have started your post resorting to personal insults before you saw my latest post. Again, I've shown my character contrary to your attempt to label me and you've shown yours.
Sorry, I had to go back and edit my post when you admitted you have never been here. Which is just as bad. For a person who's never been out here you sure know an awful lot about this place. I'm sure you wouldn't like my edited post either for I really called you out for what you are. As for the personal insults you asked for it, with your high and mighty "I know better than anyone else" attitude. What else do you expect? You have such good character all right!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-22-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I have far better pics through my many travels out west but don't feel they warrant access to you. Since you admit to never being here , your google searches without firsthand experience renders your generalizations useless. Your opinion means nothing per pic below.
I've got the same picture! We go past there all the time on our way up to the Wikieup Trading Post. There's an interesting story about that place about a man who bought it and wanted to turn it into a truck stop/pizzeria. He lost all of his money and ended up with "Nothing". Actually, I'm surprised it didn't do well it's right off the highway. Maybe because it's a half hour south of the "Trading Post" which is much nicer and has great food and souvenirs/Indian jewelry etc. for tourists on their way to the Hoover Dam or Vegas. We know the owners of the Wikieup Trading Post who are great people.

We often go onto Burro Creek Road which meanders about that area. It's better suited for a four wheel drive vehicle. But we have seen a few RV's there. You really are in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I've got the same picture! We go past there all the time on our way up to the Wikieup Trading Post. There's an interesting story about that place about a man who bought it and wanted to turn it into a truck stop/pizzeria. He lost all of his money and ended up with "Nothing". Actually, I'm surprised it didn't do well it's right off the highway. Maybe because it's a half hour south of the "Trading Post" which is much nicer and has great food and souvenirs/Indian jewelry etc. for tourists on their way to the Hoover Dam or Vegas. We know the owners of the Wikieup Trading Post who are great people.

We often go onto Burro Creek Road which meanders about that area. It's better suited for a four wheel drive vehicle. But we have seen a few RV's there. You really are in the middle of nowhere.
Know 93 very well and as an RVer I have boondocked up that way. The Santa Maria River and offroading between Date Creek Ranch and Alamo Lake you see saguaros and joshua trees side by side which we can only lay claim to. CA doesn't have saguaros as they end after the Colorado. I would likely be bored confined to just Phx myself so as you do, I take in the diversity statewide. Those who know nothing but deciduous trees east of the Mississippi will never know the spirit of the Desert SW. I love UT and NM equally. Here is a pic of sunset in Mexican Hat UT just north of Monument Valley.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1439403821193.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
It's not 80 percent humidity. It's 50% humidity in WNY right now and for the entire next week of weather. It's rarely 80% humidity unless we are in the midst of a rain storm. And I'm sorry, but humidity is a signature of moisture in the air. That's one of the reasons why greenery does so well in WNY, because of the moisture. You can't have it both ways. You can't claim that 90 degrees is cool because of low humidity, and that you have greenery with your low humidity. Its a complete contradiction.
What part of HEAT INDEX do you not understand ? I am not talking about vegetation. I can hike even in the lower deserts near Phx and Tucson over 100 degrees and with ar most 20 percent humidity is more tolerable than even 80 with the 50 percent you are suggesting. Stay the hell out of AZ !! We don't need people bringing the East Coast with them only to offend those who embrace the SW culture, geography and climate. ALSO know it all....the rate of evaporation makes a desert....Tucson gets more rainfall than San Diego but because the Pacific keeps San Diego's humidity at a level where evaporation doesn't take place like Tucson, you would never know San Diego barely gets 10 inches to Tucson's 15. Go Bolts !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1439665420842.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 03:22 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
The humidity down here is 90% a good portion of the time, but it doesn't bother me at all. Nope. I love full summertime from early May thru late September. I love hot lazy days, spanish moss on the giant live oaks, the fresh smell of pine that envelopes this place, and rocking chairs on the front porch in the evening.
I love the beach, and usually get out to (my favorite) Sullivan's Island twice a week.
Ahhh, life is good.
There's a reason people smile to one another here, as there is a sense of serenity and optimism that is rare to find in most places, and especially in the greater NY metro area.
Being from classic small town New England, I never cared for much of NYS to begin with, and was glad to get out after 20+ years. Living here in the low country, the only things I've missed at all have been the zingy springing of spring and also the hills and mountains. That's about it.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 08-22-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 04:13 PM

The best thing about the Grand Canyon State is one can ski and swim inside of a 2 hour drive. Wait, Mt Lemmon is only 30 miles up the mountain from Tucson. With that said, do not miss Polar Vortexes one iota. As to the gentleman in SC, glad you are near the ocean. Couldn't pay me to live in ATL or Charlotte. Plus, NYers are ruining the politics of NC, VA and FL. Fortunately new Zonies come from the Midwest and conservative areas of So Cal and keep our politics and freedoms as they should be. Vegas attracts more liberal riff raff priced out of LA, the IE like San Berdoo and Riverside along with high desert like Victorville. We enjoy San Diegans and OC folks who prefer our politics.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1440281106973.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 05:06 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
Quote:
The best thing about the Grand Canyon State is one can ski and swim inside of a 2 hour drive. Wait, Mt Lemmon is only 30 miles up the mountain from Tucson. With that said, do not miss Polar Vortexes one iota. As to the gentleman in SC, glad you are near the ocean. Couldn't pay me to live in ATL or Charlotte. Plus, NYers are ruining the politics of NC, VA and FL. Fortunately new Zonies come from the Midwest and conservative areas of So Cal and keep our politics and freedoms as they should be. Vegas attracts more liberal riff raff priced out of LA, the IE like San Berdoo and Riverside along with high desert like Victorville. We enjoy San Diegans and OC folks who prefer our politics.
I'm not a gentleman. I am in fact a gentle woman.
I'm also a liberal riff raffer who's apparently ruining things here. Hah.

Sorry you have to frame things in such a right/wong, left/right way. All I know is, I love it here, and thankfully no one has judged me as you would.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 08-22-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Know 93 very well and as an RVer I have boondocked up that way. The Santa Maria River and offroading between Date Creek Ranch and Alamo Lake you see saguaros and joshua trees side by side which we can only lay claim to. CA doesn't have saguaros as they end after the Colorado. I would likely be bored confined to just Phx myself so as you do, I take in the diversity statewide. Those who know nothing but deciduous trees east of the Mississippi will never know the spirit of the Desert SW. I love UT and NM equally. Here is a pic of sunset in Mexican Hat UT just north of Monument Valley.
Oh no the Santa Maria River! We joke about that all the time the water skiing is great! Surfing not so good! We've only seen water in it once and that was after the monsoon's. Even then there was not much to speak of. The combination of Saguaro's and Joshua Trees are the boundaries of the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts. Saguaro's being native to the Sonoran Desert and the Joshua Trees the Mojave. An awesome sight indeed. The next time you go up 93 if you are heading north, somewhere south of Wikieup about 15 minutes or so look out for "Snoopy Rock" an unusual rock formation that resembles it's namesake. It will be to your left. You really can't miss it. When you reach Kingman you know that you are in the Mojave Desert same for Bullhead and Lake Havasu City's along with the little towns along the Colorado River corridor. Lotta' swaying Palm Trees too.

We just picked up two interesting books: "Food plants of the Sonoran Desert" and "Sonoran Desert Food Plants" almost the same titles but two different books. Did you know that there are 540 edible plants in the Sonoran Desert? The Indians and ancient cultures thrived on them for centuries. The books identify and tell you how to prepare the many species. Many are from ancient recipes. It also includes plants that have medicinal values. Great information especially if you are out hiking. "Sonoran Desert Food Plants" is a paperback and can easily be carried with you. We're definitely going to bring it with us next time out and do a little foraging.

We just bought a "Go Pro" camera to take video's of our excursions. We are currently using a Sony "handycam" which is okay. But the "Go Pro" is better suited for this. Especially when mounted in a vehicle.

We love taking video's along with playing music. Especially "The Doors" Jim Morrison was known as the "Lizard King" and had a fascination with and love of the Southwest. A lot of their songs capture the mood and mystery of this wonderful and mystical place. Good Arizona songs!

We've been to Mexican Hat. After all Monument Valley was the setting for a lot of those John Ford western movies. An awesome and almost magical place indeed. You just can't live in Arizona and not visit Monument Valley. You just stand there and can't believe you're there.

We've been through New Mexico several times by rail and drove through it on our way out here. It was our third choice when looking for a place in the Southwest to move to, Utah being second and of course Arizona was #1.

Geez, we could write volumes about this place! Then there's the night skies. Sometimes I really can't believe we're here. Pictures, and movies do not do it any justice. It really has to be experienced. We are indeed very fortunate to be able to call this our home.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I'm not a gentleman. I am in fact a gentle woman.
I'm also a liberal riff raffer who's apparently ruining things here. Hah.

Sorry you have to frame things in such a right/wong, left/right way. All I know is, I love it here, and thankfully no one has judged me as you would.
You are indeed okay! That is for a Liberal, sorry I had to throw that in. I've read your posts and found you to be very open minded. Are you sure you're a Liberal?
The Liberals out here do indeed complain about Arizona, it's culture, traditions and gun laws. I can't for the life of me understand why they remain here. California is close by and the politics there are more to their liking. Some do indeed want to change Arizona, so obviously they are met with hostility and resentment. Politics does play an important role in choosing where to live.

You seem to have a good attitude about it and a sense of humor so it's not surprising that you get along fine in a "Red" state such as SC.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-22-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Oh no the Santa Maria River! We joke about that all the time the water skiing is great! Surfing not so good! We've only seen water in it once and that was after the monsoon's. Even then there was not much to speak of. The combination of Saguaro's and Joshua Trees are the boundaries of the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts. Saguaro's being native to the Sonoran Desert and the Joshua Trees the Mojave. An awesome sight indeed. The next time you go up 93 if you are heading north, somewhere south of Wikieup about 15 minutes or so look out for "Snoopy Rock" an unusual rock formation that resembles it's namesake. It will be to your left. You really can't miss it. When you reach Kingman you know that you are in the Mojave Desert same for Bullhead and Lake Havasu City's along with the little towns along the Colorado River corridor. Lotta' swaying Palm Trees too.

We just picked up two interesting books: "Food plants of the Sonoran Desert" and "Sonoran Desert Food Plants" almost the same titles but two different books. Did you know that there are 540 edible plants in the Sonoran Desert? The Indians and ancient cultures thrived on them for centuries. The books identify and tell you how to prepare the many species. Many are from ancient recipes. It also includes plants that have medicinal values. Great information especially if you are out hiking. "Sonoran Desert Food Plants" is a paperback and can easily be carried with you. We're definitely going to bring it with us next time out and do a little foraging.

We just bought a "Go Pro" camera to take video's of our excursions. We are currently using a Sony "handycam" which is okay. But the "Go Pro" is better suited for this. Especially when mounted in a vehicle.

We love taking video's along with playing music. Especially "The Doors" Jim Morrison was known as the "Lizard King" and had a fascination with and love of the Southwest. A lot of their songs capture the mood and mystery of this wonderful and mystical place. Good Arizona songs!

We've been to Mexican Hat. After all Monument Valley was the setting for a lot of those John Ford western movies. An awesome and almost magical place indeed. You just can't live in Arizona and not visit Monument Valley. You just stand there and can't believe you're there.

We've been through New Mexico several times by rail and drove through it on our way out here. It was our third choice when looking for a place in the Southwest to move to, Utah being second and of course Arizona was #1.

Geez, we could write volumes about this place! Then there's the night skies. Sometimes I really can't believe we're here. Pictures, and movies do not do it any justice. It really has to be experienced. We are indeed very fortunate to be able to call this our home.
You speak my language Ex NYer. That transition zone is pretty neat indeed along 93. The other aspect of the Mojave is WIND...That area on I 40 near Kingman I am always whiteknuckling it in the rig as it is always windy at their 3500ft in a canyon between the Hualapai Mts and the range that seperates Kingman from Golden Valley near Coyote Pass.

You are very well versed and am extremely impressed with your knowledge and travels here. I actually prefer the NE part of the state and Navajo Corridor the most as the red rocks and other neat formations just scream SOUTHWEST. I stayed in Mexican Hat because you can drink there. Had a $40 steak at Swingin Steak which was where I took the MH pic with our white truck. How Mexican Hat got its name right here.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1439403842390.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York