Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 05:24 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times

Advertisements

I haven't left yet (unfortunately again) and already miss it.

After living in Florida for over 6 months back in my 20s, I took a greyhound bus back from Florida to NY. As we approached Manhattan, the driver had the radio playing. It was that old Simon and Garfunkel song, "Looking for America". Just as the part came to "crossing the NJ Turnpike", the Manhattan skyline came into view. The driver announced this on the PA. The people on the bus starting CHEERING. I will never forget that feeling as long as I live. It was the greatest feeling in the world. That cheer said more than I ever can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 05:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I haven't left yet (unfortunately again) and already miss it.

After living in Florida for over 6 months back in my 20s, I took a greyhound bus back from Florida to NY. As we approached Manhattan, the driver had the radio playing. It was that old Simon and Garfunkel song, "Looking for America". Just as the part came to "crossing the NJ Turnpike", the Manhattan skyline came into view. The driver announced this on the PA. The people on the bus starting CHEERING. I will never forget that feeling as long as I live. It was the greatest feeling in the world. That cheer said more than I ever can.
Awwwwwwww...

Old 05-04-2007, 06:04 AM

38 posts, read 141,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
We thought about moving to Norwich but we've never been there. Someone from Binghampton described it to me as "Mayberry".
Mayberry is about right, but with the right friends, anywhere is a great place to live!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
We are happy in Wake Forest.
We came here seeking to give ourselves the life that was possible on Li in the 70's, and we have found it.
Moved to WF in the '70's? I was in school there in the middle of the decade. I thought it was a little dull, but at least it was quiet.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
We just came from visiting NC and loved it there. (
Is Union County near Charlotte? It's pretty nice there: not far from Charlotte, beaches, mountains. Great SC beaches nearby. I hope you can move as soon as you want and that you really like it there.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
We've lived in Northern Michigan for the last 3 years and now have our house up for sale. Born & raised on Long Island and we cannot wait to get back. Mainly for the family and the food. Growing up on LI, we were spoiled. Moved here after needing to decompress for awhile and now we're ready to go back. It's just too laid back up here and the food is brutal. The key to being happy on LI is to have a couple of hundred grand to put down on a decent house (which we have, thankfully), and to work on LI. The commuting into the city thing is good when you're younger. It gets old quick and will wear you down. That is what happened to wife & I. This time, we both will work on LI and not have to deal with the LIRR. I can't wait

Old 05-05-2007, 10:43 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,727 times
After 10 years in NYC I moved south to Mt. Pleasant, SC and love it! It's totally affordable, taxes are ridiculously low, I'm 2 miles to the beach, Charleston has fabulous restaurants and history, and the people are incredibly nice...not to mention the year round golf and tennis! Although my time living in NY was valuable and I don't regret it, it's great to live like you're on vacation (NOT retired!) I'm in my early 40's.....

Old 05-06-2007, 01:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?

No I never missed it one day out of the 19 years I've been gone. I've almost erased my first 26 years of life in NY from my mind

Old 05-06-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
We are originally from Long Island NY and yes we miss Long Island very much. Miss family mainly and then i guess the the fact that Long Island holds our fond memories of childhood.

We moved due to the high cost of living, high prices of homes, crazy taxes and high utilities.

We moved to Henderson Nevada, we would move back but it seems that even my higher educated friends on Long Island are looking to leave, they say the LI salaries do not keep up with the cost of living there.

So i doubt we will return, but we are leaving Nevada, the schools here are not good at all and much more.

On LI for the majority that i know both parents have to work full time to get by, and even doing that , they still seem to be tight with cash. While out here in Nevada we are a upper middle class family where i work full time ( 40 hours ) very little traffic compared to LI and my wife could stay home and raise our kids. And we own a brand new home in a great area.

I just wish Long Island was more affordable to the middle class.

I lived there 1 year and I would take NY over that place. Try Gilbert AZ you will like that better. The schools are pretty good there.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresejenkins View Post
After 10 years in NYC I moved south to Mt. Pleasant, SC and love it! It's totally affordable, taxes are ridiculously low, I'm 2 miles to the beach, Charleston has fabulous restaurants and history, and the people are incredibly nice...not to mention the year round golf and tennis! Although my time living in NY was valuable and I don't regret it, it's great to live like you're on vacation (NOT retired!) I'm in my early 40's.....

Oh early 40's we must have been in Newburgh at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York