Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 20,380 times

Advertisements

I would think those crime stats would be for the Town of Wallkill in Orange County, but it seems high for even there. I don't have any safety concerns in my town, but things happen occasionally. There was a robbery of a local gas station, but I can't think of anything else that comes to mind. The police station is right in the heart of the hamlet, and they even patrol the rail-trail on bike and with a golf cart. There is a correctional facility not too far away, but I've never heard of any breakouts or anything, and feel safe despite its location. We always keep our doors locked even when we're home, and never let our kid play in the yard by herself, but I'd do that no matter where I lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,910 times
The City of Middletown is located within the town of wallkill which probably affects the town's crime rating.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,869,093 times
Must be a mistake then. 7 and 8 out of 10, 10 being worst are *BAD*.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
The City of Middletown is located within the town of wallkill ...
By New York State definition, cities can not be within towns.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Noo Yawk".

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
By New York State definition, cities can not be within towns.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Noo Yawk".
This is true, but the town of wallkill encompasses the city of middletown. are you trying to be condescending?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
This is true, but the town of wallkill encompasses the city of middletown.
The Town of Wallkill may almost, but not completely, surround the City of Middletown, but the City of Middletown is not within the Town of Wallkill, and the Town of Wallkill does not encompass (have political authority or control over) the City of Middletown.

A map of the Town of Wallkill, Orange County:

A map of the City of Middletown, Orange County
:

Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Town of Wallkill may almost, but not completely, surround the City of Middletown, but the City of Middletown is not within the Town of Wallkill, and the Town of Wallkill does not encompass (have political authority or control over) the City of Middletown.

A map of the Town of Wallkill, Orange County:

A map of the City of Middletown, Orange County
:
Agreed, but since the town isn't nearly as big as the city, I'm assuming the crime level rating for Middletown affects the crime level rating for the town of W~~.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but since the town isn't nearly as big as the city ...
It seems from the map, that the Town of Wallkill is several times larger than the City of Middletown.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM

85 posts, read 239,055 times
In terms of area, yes, the Town of Wallkill is larger than the city of Middletown. However, population-wise, the town and the city are about the same size. The Town of Wallkill has many apartment complexes in addition to single family homes. I believe there has been some problems mainly related to gang activity in the the township which probably accounts for the crime statistics. It's my understanding that this has generally been in relationship to the area where the majority of the apartment complexes are found. For the most part, the township is a pretty peaceful area.

The hamlet of Wallkill is a pretty little town about 20 miles from Middletown, NY. residents are likely to work in New Paltz, Newburgh, or Poughkeepsie. Farming was once the primary occupation, today residents are likely to work in New Paltz, Middletown, Newburgh, or Poughkeepsie, NY.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtoRetire View Post
In terms of area, yes, the Town of Wallkill is larger than the city of Middletown. However, population-wise, the town and the city are about the same size. The Town of Wallkill has many apartment complexes in addition to single family homes. I believe there has been some problems mainly related to gang activity in the the township which probably accounts for the crime statistics. It's my understanding that this has generally been in relationship to the area where the majority of the apartment complexes are found. For the most part, the township is a pretty peaceful area.

The hamlet of Wallkill is a pretty little town about 20 miles from Middletown, NY. residents are likely to work in New Paltz, Newburgh, or Poughkeepsie. Farming was once the primary occupation, today residents are likely to work in New Paltz, Middletown, Newburgh, or Poughkeepsie, NY.
Lets not forget about that big ol prison that sits off route 208.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York