Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtoRetire View Post
The hamlet of Wallkill is a pretty little town about 20 miles from Middletown, NY.

A map of the Hamlet of Wallkill in the Town of Shawangunk, Ulster County:
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Please explain...Wallkill...-wallkill.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 47,482 times
i just moved to middletown and i too was confused with it all. the maps helped me with my confusion. wallkill which surrounds middletown is broken into 6 hamlets, it is still part of the city of middletown its just not named that way. just like newburgh town and city. and before reading this thread i didnt even know there was another wallkill up in ulster. i have been tempted to put wallkill, ny on my correspondence, but its ok. i'm in the mechanicstown section of wallkill and its great. granted the urban part of middletown is close but i'm in a great part of town. besides if youre going to move you have to go see where it is before you move. if it seems like a great neighborhood who cares about stats and ratings. i lived in nyc before and not even the city of middletown can compare to the crime rate and *hitty schools. its no highland mills here but you get what you pay for and my mortgage is pretty reasonable. lower than my rent in the city.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostnyc View Post
wallkill which surrounds middletown is broken into 6 hamlets, it is still part of the city of middletown ...
Towns and cities are separate municipalities; and, by NYS definition, a town can not be part of a city.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Noo Yawk".

Quote:
i'm in the mechanicstown section of wallkill.
Mechanicstown is a hamlet in the Town of Walkill.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 47,482 times
yeah youre right Walter. when i went to apply for the star program i accidentally called the city of middletown and the told me i had to call the wallkill government center. so then is the town of wallkill just on its own? why do i have to keep putting middletown, ny on my mail?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
why do i have to keep putting middletown, ny on my mail?

Because, more often than not, the community named in a place's mailing address is not the community where that place, or in your case, your home, is located.

A postal zone "City" and "Town" is an administrative district established by the U.S. Postal Service to deliver the mail. Postal zone "City" and "Town" may not (but are encouraged to) conform to municipal or community borders. Thus, postal zone location does not always determine city, village or hamlet location.

And, you should be aware that in many areas of New York State, as well as in other states, the problem of non-conforming postal zones leads to a situation where the majority of places have a different community name in their mailing address than the community where that place is actually located.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 9,580 times
Hello, all. I also live in the Hamlet of Wallkill. Actually in the hamlet, walking distance to all the ammenities listed in one of the above posts. We really enjoy it here. Have a sizable lot, nice house, nice neighbors, etc. Also, if you check school zoning, you will see that alot of the Town of Newburgh is part of the wallkill central school district, where the City of Newburgh has their own district. It is quite confusing to many. And the new little grocery store has finally opened We actually like our location right now so much that we will most likely add on to the house, rather than find or build a bigger one. (or buy a farm farther out)

My husband actually drives over to Beacon and takes the metronorth into the city to work

Jennifer

Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 9,391 times
I live in Wallkill but on the Orange County side near the border of Ulster. Most people I know work in the City - they either take the express bus or travel from Beacon with Metro North.

Most of the Crime that happens is small time and are mainly concentrated in the cities like the City of Newburgh, Middletown, New Paltz (as it is a University town with a large population of young people). Most crimes relate to drugs, drinking, or gang activities in the cities. It is a beautiful area but if you are looking for action, New Paltz or Middletown would be good or travel to Rockland or to New York City.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc22 View Post
I live in Wallkill but on the Orange County side near the border of Ulster.
The Hamlet of Walkill is in Town of Shawangunk, and is solely in Ulster County.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in New York State.)

Just plug in your street address and the ZIP Code postal zone, leaving out city and state, and hit "GO".

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM

38 posts, read 81,850 times
Town of Wallkill (Middletown - Orange County) has a high rate of crime.

Hamlet of Wallkill (Town of Shawangunk - Ulster County) has a LOW rate of crime.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust77 View Post
Town of Wallkill (Middletown - Orange County) has a high rate of crime.

Hamlet of Wallkill (Town of Shawangunk - Ulster County) has a LOW rate of crime.
Maybe the City of Middletown, but the Town of Wallkill? If anything the crime in the Town of Wallkill probably has to do with all the shopping and stores being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York