Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM

35 posts, read 90,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Maybe the City of Middletown, but the Town of Wallkill? If anything the crime in the Town of Wallkill probably has to do with all the shopping and stores being there.
Agreed. I grew up in the Town of Wallkill and there is practically zero crime in the residential areas. The crimes that do occur are along the lines of petit theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
Hi Evenstevens58 (Linda),
Glad to hear your moving here. If you like quiet country, the hamlet of Wallkill is a cozy place. FYI, I have a (hamlet) of Wallkill mailing address, but my home (and small business) is about 6 miles from the actual hamlet. I've done a lot of small purchases in Wallkill, at the hardware store (very helpful and friendly), the auto mechanic (Tim is very honest and capable), and the small grocery store (new ownership about 2 yrs ago - very clean). The hamlet sits aside the rambling Wallkill river, and the traffic bridge crossing it is one of the most scenic on the small river. The name Wallkill is derived from the dutch useage of kill means- nearby water, stream or brook. There's often fishermen seen in the waters as you drive across. If I can brag, I took my grandson fishing, and he caught an awesome small mouth bass, (almost half his 4 yr.??? old) size- honest. Not much industry except Fair-rite Electrical and Electronic components (you can look them up).
Lots of small business'. Surprised that no one mentioned it is the home of the original Borden Farm (yes-Elsie-the-cow variety Borden). There is a local effort to not develop the farm property (Save-the-farm) - I have not personally followed the effort.
My son just started working for the local School Bus & Driver Company that is big located in the Hamlet (called First Student), which employs many.
The school system is typical rural America, with more attention available to individual students than other larger schools. As mentioned in other posts, crime is not a significant factor here, but within 15 miles the cities of Middletown, and Newburgh are making (local) crime headlines every week.
The local people of the Hamlet still line the streets for the Memorial Day, Veterens Day, and St. Patricks Day parades. My favorite is the Memorial Day (often a speaker from West Point in guest speaker). If you want a mall experience, drive 15 miles to Newburgh or Middletown. Restaurants are very few (Chinese, Elsie's (American-routine) and a couple of breakfast/lunches and Stewarts). One wine store (also new ownership last year). Little league is important to many residents of the hamlet.
My name is Tom, and my business (son/father business) is home remodeling, home improvement. [mod] no soliciting/ads [/mod]
I've lived here for about 25 years.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 05-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,954,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlpdm View Post
Hi Evenstevens58 (Linda),
Glad to hear your moving here. If you like quiet country, the hamlet of Wallkill is a cozy place. FYI, I have a (hamlet) of Wallkill mailing address, but my home (and small business) is about 6 miles from the actual hamlet. I've done a lot of small purchases in Wallkill, at the hardware store (very helpful and friendly), the auto mechanic (Tim is very honest and capable), and the small grocery store (new ownership about 2 yrs ago - very clean). The hamlet sits aside the rambling Wallkill river, and the traffic bridge crossing it is one of the most scenic on the small river. The name Wallkill is derived from the dutch useage of kill means- nearby water, stream or brook. There's often fishermen seen in the waters as you drive across. If I can brag, I took my grandson fishing, and he caught an awesome small mouth bass, (almost half his 4 yr.??? old) size- honest. Not much industry except Fair-rite Electrical and Electronic components (you can look them up).
Lots of small business'. Surprised that no one mentioned it is the home of the original Borden Farm (yes-Elsie-the-cow variety Borden). There is a local effort to not develop the farm property (Save-the-farm) - I have not personally followed the effort.
My son just started working for the local School Bus & Driver Company that is big located in the Hamlet (called First Student), which employs many.
The school system is typical rural America, with more attention available to individual students than other larger schools. As mentioned in other posts, crime is not a significant factor here, but within 15 miles the cities of Middletown, and Newburgh are making (local) crime headlines every week.
The local people of the Hamlet still line the streets for the Memorial Day, Veterens Day, and St. Patricks Day parades. My favorite is the Memorial Day (often a speaker from West Point in guest speaker). If you want a mall experience, drive 15 miles to Newburgh or Middletown. Restaurants are very few (Chinese, Elsie's (American-routine) and a couple of breakfast/lunches and Stewarts). One wine store (also new ownership last year). Little league is important to many residents of the hamlet.
My name is Tom, and my business (son/father business) is home remodeling, home improvement. Moderator cut: no soliciting/ads
I've lived here for about 25 years.
more good news bus service improved too it would be more frequent than it is now

Old 10-01-2015, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,676 times
I live in the hamlet of Wallkill and have lived here for the past 22 years. The schools are good. The area is quiet. Local events include programs put on by the library, schools, scouting organizations, the fire department and other groups. Supermarkets are between 4 and 18 miles away as are restaurants.(There are restaurants here in the hamlet.) Other cultural activities can be found in surrounding towns particularly in Newburg, New Paltz and Middletown (about 18 miles away).As for the crime statistics quoted in an earlier post, that does not sound correct to me. To my knowledge the major crimes here are not crimes but traffic infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York