Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,851 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this. We currently live in upstate New York and will be relocating to Florida next month. I was wondering if anyone knows how the NY state income tax works if you're only here part of the year.

I'm just thinking ahead... Do we pay NY state income tax for just the part of the year that we are living here? Say, if we move in May, do we just pay Jan-April? Or do they break it up by 1/2 year. How do they know where I'm actually living if I have a home in NY and FL? I have not sold my NY home yet.

We will be changing our NY driver's license to Florida next week and will be moving things down over the course of a month or two. When am I officially not a NY resident anymore? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
You will pay tax to both states. You will end up filling out two state income tax forms.

I forget exactly how it is divided up but basically for the time you work and live in NY you will pay tax to them. The same will go for Florida for the time you live and work there.

Oh and if your work does not pay for moving expenses you can usually claim it on your taxes. We have moved from NY to NC and back again.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,851 times
Thank you, cheese9988.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
I just went through this with my mom. She moved in August last year so our accountant filed with NY for the months she lived there, mostly so they realized she moved. Her income level was below the threshold so she didn't need to file in VA.

I believe that Florida has no income tax so you'll make out for most of the year. Once you switch drivers license & Voter registration you are no longer a New Yorker. If you are a senior receiving a STAR discount on your taxes you may lose that if they found out you moved.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 14,331 times
Default allocation

You will do a part year resident return for NY. Taxes will be based on % of year lived here and how much you made here, and there and the taxes paid in the new state. It's not as complicated as it sounds. I think FLa may not have an income tax. They get you other ways with sales tax, an annual tax on the value of your car, and a few other methods. I believe taxes are still much lower there. How can they not be when you are inthe top 3 or 4 states in taxation? NY is trying hard to be number one with the Patterson approach to fiscal difficulties.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 13,226 times
I have a house in Florida and would like to become a resident of that state. We will be living there from Nov. 1-May 1. We own an apt. in NYC and a vacation house in L.I.NY. and will be there the remaining months. I have a Fla. drivers license, My husband has a NY license, our home in Fl is Homesteaded, I gave up the Star exemption on NYC apt, and 2 out of our 3 cars are registered in Fla.
Besides obtaining a Fla drivers license for my husband, what else do I have to do with regard to taxes, etc???

Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 AM

275 posts, read 793,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw927 View Post
You will do a part year resident return for NY. Taxes will be based on % of year lived here and how much you made here, and there and the taxes paid in the new state. It's not as complicated as it sounds. I think FL may not have an income tax. They get you other ways with sales tax, an annual tax on the value of your car, and a few other methods. I believe taxes are still much lower there. How can they not be when you are inthe top 3 or 4 states in taxation? NY is trying hard to be number one with the Patterson approach to fiscal difficulties.
Florida has no state income tax. The sales tax in Orange County is 6.5%. I don't think it varies that much for most of FL. There is no "annual tax" on your vehicle. There is a tag (license plate) fee that varies on the weight of the vehicle. I pretty much pay the same for a 1998 vehicle as I pay for a 2006 vehicle. Be careful of property taxes. I've lived in my house for over 25 years and I pay $1200 for property tax. It is kept low due to the "Save Our Homes" law. However, if I were to move to another home in FL, I would pay pretty close to the assessed value for the new home, which could be significantly higher. It is reduced somewhat due to "SOH" portability. However, as a new resident, you would not have that benefit. Thus, for a $300K home, you could end up paying $3K-$4K in property taxes depending on where you move to in FL.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
Chaifetz, it's not difficult at all regarding taxes. I would suggest registering to vote as soon as you arrive. If you do your own taxes, I'd suggest a computer program like Turbo Tax or Quicken. I did ours here when we moved from NY 3 years ago. You tell the program what date you moved and it'll figure out how much you pay to NY. As noted, Florida has no state income tax, but other taxes. We still find it cheaper to live here than in NY.

Best of luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York