Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times

Advertisements

I've been following this state lay-off debacle since Paterson first mentioned it a few weeks ago. No matter which side you fall on as to the pay rate of state workers - Paterson IS acting like a spoiled brat. Not ONCE has he responded to the THIRD choice to solve this problem: the consultants being paid exorbitant amounts should be the first ones to go. Even if he had at least acknowledged this query; I might give him a bit of credence. But he blatantly ignores that 3rd choice.

Politics as usual here in wonderful New York. I'm not a state worker, but my business does rely on a lot of state employees for revenue - just about any business here in Albany does. The moron is cutting off his nose to spite his face. Every time he's in front of a mike, he acts like he hates his job & can't wait to get the hell out. Please, let me hold the door for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 53,904 times
Re-elect him? We didn't elect him to begin with. Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-15-2009 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

169 posts, read 418,962 times
While I aknowledge that patterson needs to make cuts at the top level, I cant imagine this was an easy decision for him. The unions are extremely stubborn and I find it offensive they are running commercials against patterson with our taxpayer money. Yes, union fees are paid for, involuntarily, out of state paychecks, which allows them to run their BS tv and radio campaigns. This state needs to downsize the government big time, and as hard as it is to do that, I see patterson making some tough decisions.

Let me guess: most of you would not raise taxes and not lay off workers, right? sorry guys, this is impossible. Cuts must be made someplace and you should be lucky you're not in patterson's shoes right now having to make these decisions.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
Let me guess: most of you would not raise taxes and not lay off workers, right? sorry guys, this is impossible. Cuts must be made someplace and you should be lucky you're not in patterson's shoes right now having to make these decisions.

Only impossible until the consultant pool is thinned. Estimated 100,000 NS consultants (non-specified; not pay-grade levels)....surely losing 8,900
of them will hurt a lot less than culling from various departments & grades. I personally know many of these consultants & even they are scratching
their heads. Several of them told me they were recruited out of retirement from a previous state job, & then were assigned the task of training state
workers in various departments. Just some of the problems with that? Well, some of the positions needing training were absorbed into other departments
and thereby removing the need for the consultant. But instead of saying, "sorry, we no longer need you"; the consultant checks in in the morning & makes
sure his face is seen by a few souls here & there.....and off he goes to spend the day as he likes. This isn't an isolated incident.

And another example? Check out NYS OFT - the Office for Technology. Specifically read up on Melody Mayberry-Stewart. The printed crap on her is bad
enough, but the first hand stuff I've seen should curl every tax-payer's toes. She charged into Albany & decided her floor - not just her office, her
entire floor - needed new furniture. The furniture that was in there wasn't even 2 years old yet & most of it unused. Ka-ching, ka-ching. There are
SO MANY ways NY could save money...Paterson is just another $hit-head politician throwing around his clout for the (thankfully) little time he has left in office.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,869 times
Spitzer like him or not was the first outsider to hit Albany in decades, if ever. He was the first shot we had at dismantling the disaster that is Albany lead by Sheldon Silver who is controlled by the teachers unions. Paterson is just a pawn that didn't want the job.

The only ray of hope that the state may have is Michael Bloomberg. Otherwise the only solution i see is fiscal implosion and catastrophe for NYS. That is the only other way I see NYS releasing itself from the tax and spend culture in Albany.

A great example I have recently learned is that teachers health benefits fully cover plastic surgery like botox and breast implants.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
First off, he canNOT be re-elected. He was NEVER elected governor of anything!

His numbers are so low right now because he's running the state even further into the ground. Who knew it could get worse?

Him and George W should hang on Georgie's front porch drinking some beers discussing ways to run us into the ground even further. Georgie was such an expert at this. Maybe Patterson took some notes from Georgie.

The man is a complete and utter moron. That's the nicest thing I can say about him.

His budget is a joke. He complains and whines for months we have no money. We have to cut back and balance the current budget during the last fiscal year. Yet, when the nimrods in Albany announce the current budget, they increase it by 9%. HELLO???? I admit I'm not a math whiz, but even I know you can't add 4 and 4 and come out with 13 in the end!!

Get rid of the state consultants! They aren't necessary or even reasonably paid.

Won't even get into the Water Bottle Tax and problems with that stupid thing. I can't wait to get out of this hell hole sometimes referred to as New York aka the Tax Mecca.

Last edited by ss20ts; 04-16-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,700,653 times
Yes we have to raise taxes and cut jobs. But they are opening these offices around the state and gave Joe Mesi a 70K a year job to be a manager for one of those offices. WTF is this state govt thinking.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 AM

91 posts, read 528,029 times
Angry Ooooh....that Paterson....

Oh yeah I totally agree.Everytime Paterson's name comes up on the news I know it's not going to be anything good for the people of NY State.
Let's get that incompetent out of office!!
I cannot wait to vote him out!
He's doing a terrible job for the people of New York State.He's sticking it to us every chance he gets!
Voting him out just can't come soon enough.....

Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,025 times
I think I'd like to see who he'll be running against... and yes there are worse choices out there.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,443 times
Default Whats next

Please,before judging the N.Y.State work force,let's look at the actions of this state's Govenor.Cellphones for low income ? Really! OR how about the fact that N.Y.S Inmates are PAID to take programs that benefit them.(GED,ASAT,SEX OFFENDER PROGRAMS) Also no generic medication for the murdering,raping,pedophiles of this state.So please the next time you feel like bashing the benefits of the working N.Y. state employee,remind yourself that we give away better benefits to those who really are the worst of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York