U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 04:00 PM

12 posts, read 37,926 times

Advertisements

We are moving away from Houston by the end of August (and we browsed Google Map and found Dutchess County, NY). I am an corporate finance executive and I do all my business in China and UK, so I do not need to be tied down by any particular city or area here in the US. I met my wife in China and we had a son there. We moved back to the US last July in order to raise the child. We picked Sugar Land, TX because it was 'The Best Place To Live' by Money magazine. Well, it might be if you need to look for a job in an oil company a year ago, but the air quality is bad. So here is not for us.

My initial questions are:
  1. How good is the air quality in the region? Particularly the area near Dutchess Golf and Country Club?
  2. Is it a safe place to raise a young child?
  3. Easy access to the light rail?
  4. How was the drive to NYC?
  5. How long is the ride on rail and subway to JFK International Airport (I travel a lot)?
  6. I'd appreciate any suggestions for other parts of the country as well.

Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,830,873 times
Huh? Subway to JFK? That's a 2h drive from Dutchess. At least.

Are you sure you're talking about Dutchess County???? To get to JFK by rail you'd have to FIRST take the train to NYC. Then get the subway or a taxi to JFK. And then you'd want to get on a long-haul flight to, say, China? I guess, if you're a masochist, this'd be great!

But are you moving to NY or to Oregon? According to your posts you're moving to both...

Old 04-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Hi Viralmd,

Portland is off for now, and we are considering Dutchess County. As far as our plan goes, it's a clean slate. We are open to anywhere...

Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 PM

136 posts, read 754,387 times
Quote:
How good is the air quality in the region? Particularly the area near Dutchess Golf and Country Club?
The Golf club is right on Route 9, near where I work just south of Poughpeeksie. The air here is better than Albany or NYC. I don't notice any particular air pollution problems

Quote:
Is it a safe place to raise a young child?
Easy access to the light rail?
I don't know about "light rail", but there's a Metro North station nearby in Downtown Poughpeepsie (It's the old NY Central mainline, so it's not light rail.)
Quote:
How was the drive to NYC?
I wouldn't want to drive from Poughkeepsie to NYC, especially on a daily basis.

Quote:
How long is the ride on rail and subway to JFK International Airport (I travel a lot)?
I'd appreciate any suggestions for other parts of the country as well

Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Hi ss58yy,

Thank you for your info. No, I won't drive to NYC on a daily basis. Only going once in a while for shopping, museums, Chinese food (twice-cooked pork, chicken feet...) etc.

Any regional airports to JFK?

Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM

434 posts, read 1,070,779 times
Hope they found a place by now, it's been 3 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York