Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Jefferson County is growing because of Fort Drum (Watertown). Outside of Tompkins county (Ithaca), I cant imagine anything west of Syracuse growing.

You are a really bitter person towards upstate/western ny. What did we ever do to you?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Education, health care and even some high tech jobs: Central New York Jobs

daVincijobs - Job Search

Local Employer Listings - CNY Works - Works for All of Us

In the Syracuse area, places like Syracuse University, Upstate Med. Center, Anaren, Sensis, Syracuse Research Corporation, Lockheed Martin, Rapid Response, Time Warner and National Grid come to mind.
Exactly! I groan outloud when I hear about the doom and gloom employment venting about the Syracuse area... where? The only person I know who's unemployed is a friend who was laid off in the marketing dept. of a radio broadcaster... she's going back to school to get her masters - no sob story offered there. Has anyone actually taken a look in the employment section of the Post Standard? Last time I checked, there were over a dozen pages of employment being offered.

Are those leaving the area leaving because there are no jobs or... no jobs they're willing to do? Even if you have to start at entry level, it's best than what much of the rest of the country has. In Michigan, hundreds of people with advanced degrees are applying for a single part-time job at Taco Bell.

New Yorkers often don't realize how good they have it...

Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
"We have some of the best festivals, Lilac, Italian, International Music, Polish Festival, Taste Of Syracuse and Canal Fest just to name a few. Theres Niagara Falls, the food, the museums, performing arts centers, universities, sports, skiing and even Nascar. You name it we probably have it."

One thing you dont have....j-o-b-s. Thats why people are still leaving. Outside of organic farming and tourism, and some residual defense spending....what else is rapidly growing up there?
Actually there are a number of job areas that are growing, Buffalo is growing rapidly in the biomedical manufacturing and r&d areas. Rochester is home to a number of corporations that are doing well and growing even with the recession.

Wilson Greatbatch is one good example. Started off as a small biomedical company near Buffalo making batteries for pacemakers, this company has grown worldwide and is doing extremely well.

I have said this before. Even though the field may be growing, educators suffer the most. There are too many applicants to open positions 1000+ in some cases. If thats your thing, great. But you may need to accept that your going to have to move. The only individuals I know of that have moved are those with a teaching degree.

Upstate NY is still dominated by, healthcare, manufacturing and services. I could rattle of hundreds of facilities off the top of my head that I have been in or worked with that most people probably don't know about. So you cannot say there is nothing here.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Exactly! I groan outloud when I hear about the doom and gloom employment venting about the Syracuse area... where? The only person I know who's unemployed is a friend who was laid off in the marketing dept. of a radio broadcaster... she's going back to school to get her masters - no sob story offered there. Has anyone actually taken a look in the employment section of the Post Standard? Last time I checked, there were over a dozen pages of employment being offered.

Are those leaving the area leaving because there are no jobs or... no jobs they're willing to do? Even if you have to start at entry level, it's best than what much of the rest of the country has. In Michigan, hundreds of people with advanced degrees are applying for a single part-time job at Taco Bell.

I don't know as much about Syracuse, but Marquardt Switch is a company that is growing and doing very well. They make switches for a wide variety of electrical applications.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post

Also, sometimes it's that people aren't willing to go back to school or get training too. Ironically, I'm looking at the newspaper talking about how only 30% of eligible workers in the Syracuse area are seeking or taking advantage of Trade Adjustment Assistance, for those that lost jobs due to foreign competition and other factors. So, maybe those people need to take advantage of things that would set them up for other occupations.

Here's the article: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...rs_seek_h.html

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
"You are a really bitter person towards upstate/western ny. What did we ever do to you?"

As an upstate NY home owner (2nd home yes..but you knew that already).....I kind of chuckle at this since I really love NNY. The Rochester pathology is like "the perfect" housewife......underneath the facade...look out!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
Lets see if a Rochesterian can find any flaws in his/her region.....lol.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
lets see if you are going to post more untrue generalizations like many of your past posts.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
"You are a really bitter person towards upstate/western ny. What did we ever do to you?"

As an upstate NY home owner (2nd home yes..but you knew that already).....I kind of chuckle at this since I really love NNY. The Rochester pathology is like "the perfect" housewife......underneath the facade...look out!

oh yeah...it REALLY shows

Personally I'm quick to criticize plenty of things about this region. The unbelievably inept local and state government, outrageous property taxes and the such. But I still take pride in my hometown and feel it is still a great place to live. When and where on this forum have you EVER said anything positive about this region?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Lets see if a Rochesterian can find any flaws in his/her region.....lol.
Acutally I have posted flaws many times. I do not 100% agree with Rochester or NYS for that matter. Tax is my biggist gripe. I also do not agree where all of the building projects are going on. There is alot I like better about Buffalo and other states than I do about Rochester. Don't assume anything man. I think NY is FAR from perfect, I just don't think upstate is as bad as what alot of people make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York