U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,037 times

Advertisements

For the past year we have been living in Arizona and we don't care for the traffic, congestion and crime factor. We spent the last 20 years living right outside of Cooperstown so we are familair with upstate NY and the weather.

We are looking to relocate to Norwich. I'd like to know is it a very liveable city? We are interested in the basic services, conveniences, crime rate, and housing, and taxes.

I know every city has its problem areas. What streets would you recommend I stay away from when looking for houses. But from what I've been reading online, Norwich seems like a "family friendly" relatively safe place to live. I'm also interested in job opportunities. Both my wife and I work in healthcare and our son is looking for an IT job, perhaps a clericalor database management position. I'd like to hear from people who live in or right around Norwich.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM

172 posts, read 792,892 times
Well, Norwich is pretty small, and there aren't too many jobs in the region. Many of the residents of that area commute to Syracuse, Binghamton and Ithaca, where there are more opportunities. But it is a friendly, safe place to live. Houses are a financial bargain, but house taxes are relatively high. You'll have most of your basic convieniences in Norwich, from big-box retail to small local stores.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 AM

140 posts, read 681,512 times
Default family friendly Norwich, NY

Norwich, New York, is definitely a family-friendly community. It is relatively small but still has your "big box" retailers, with both Lowe's and a SuperWalMart available. Health care is available through the Norwich Community Hospital although for some major procedures, you are likely to find yourself traveling to Binghamton, Syracuse, or Ithaca.

The area tends to be safe although there was recently a murder committed by a mentally ill person. A couple other crimes hit the news recently also. However, looking beyond these recent crimes, the area tends to be safe.

Housing tends to be older within the central Norwich area but on the outskirts of town are areas of newer housing. Housing tends to be quite affordable, especially when considering where you are presently living.

Taxes in New York State are very high. Everything is taxed...food, clothing, gasoline, hardware, building supplies, on and on. New York State has the well-earned reputation as being one of the highest taxed states in the country. On top of that, utilities are expensive and also taxed. Needless to say, it is quite expensive to live in New York State.

As you know well, you won't have any traffic congestion to deal with other than when the NYS Dept. of Transportation does it's usual road renovation projects.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,037 times
Thanks for the input. Is there a Realtor you would reccomend?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,200 times
Default Norwich

Norwich is a friendly, easy town, and I enjoy living here. There are some amenities: a decent library, a couple of banks, two big-box stores if you can stomach such things. Housing is affordable and many of the houses are beautiful. The weather, of course, if famously difficult, but the climate is changing and we're moving from heavy, heavy snow to heavy, heavy rain. But be aware, those in the know never use the local hospital and warn against it. They all go to Cooperstown, Hamilton, or Binghamton. Chenango Memorial is a poor hospital and has a very bad reputation. There are dentists, but the nearest periodontist is in Oneonta/Binghamton and only works a couple of days a week - takes literally months to get an appointment.

Decent jobs are few and far between here, as I've learned the hard way. I didn't expect to make great money, or anything remotely like what I made in New York City, of course, but it is extremely difficult to find any jobs that pay more than $14/hour or even offer basic benefits like health insurance, 401(k), or even, sometimes, vacation! Once you find a job that pays anything decent, you're pretty much stuck with it. Professionals would have an easier time of it, certainly. Science professionals would likely have the best opportunity since, though P&G moved to Cincinnati, they still have a plant here and there are other science-based companies in the area. The place could certainly use a periodontist.

On the whole, it's a pleasant place to be, but be prepared about the job and medical-services environment.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,009 times
Default African Americans in Norwich?

The statistcs say the African American population is small in Norwich (1.6%). I'm OK with it but my fiancee wants to be sure we are welcome in the community. Please advise...truthfully. My feeling won't be hurt, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM

3,197 posts, read 8,436,097 times
It is definitely a predominantly white area. Family of mine lives about 20 minutes from Norwich in a very, very small town. Put it this way, they trek to Norwich to go grocery shopping, go to Lowes, etc. There are two black families that live in their neighborhood, one family is the weekend type and keeps it as a second home. The other family has a small horse farm and lives there year round. I have never heard of either of them having any problems. It by no means is a racist area like some rural areas you would find down south. In typical northeastern fashion, most people don't care what color you are as long as you are a good neighbor.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 PM

99 posts, read 286,554 times
Default Hey

Hey Metsfan I am from Queens NY (love your screen name!!!), so by no way am I an expert on Norwich NY. However my wife and I spent a week up there about 4 years ago,(possibly thinking of moving there) and here is our view. Overall a nice area,the town is very scenic and the city has a small charm feel. The people were very friendly and overall nice. What halted our move was the fact there was very little jobs in the general area (and we looked into it alot). Plus most of the homes in the city were a 100 years old. Personally i love the homes from that period, but most needed a lot of work. It looks like a place that your gonna have a business or work from home, unless you can survive on low paying retail jobs. Your best bet is to look a little further up north (and west) toward Syracuse or Rochester, it seems to be developing a lot. Also try and find a person using the screen name of "Belafonzi" he seem to know a lot about great towns. Either way good luck!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,301 times
I am an African American and Native American who owns property in Norwich New York. I recently left because I became ill due to medical problems. I found out that my body was producing tumors which is common to both of my geneological sides. Therefore I went back to Boston. I intend to return soon. While back in Boston, I have become more independently wealthy. So I won't be relying on income from Norwich. Norwich does have a problem with some Neonatizism, and bigots. But because they are so used to their opinion they don't like to hear the truth about themselves. I had my tires slashed by an extremist while I was renting from a cabin in the mountains. That person didn't want me renting there. Though my landlady is related to this person and knew what had happened she tried to cover it up. I called the police on several occasions but nothing was done on my behalf. So choose wisely and make sure you are in a well lit area. Even the radio station did a poll and many people admitted that their past relatives were of the KKK. One of their city officials was even fired for being part of a supremacist group.

I did notice that more people of color are moving in. This will help change others views and attitudes. So if you intend to move there, I say do so. But don't be blind to your wifes fears and issues because it will break you both apart.

I hope you do move here because I like to see variety, and my grandfather is Swedish. Mixes are beautiful to me. I come from a very mixed area in Boston, and hope more people move in with variety in their families. And I do intend to move back to my property, and would be happy to welcome you.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,301 times
Exclamation Do you talk to or even associate with these families?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
It is definitely a predominantly white area. Family of mine lives about 20 minutes from Norwich in a very, very small town. Put it this way, they trek to Norwich to go grocery shopping, go to Lowes, etc. There are two black families that live in their neighborhood, one family is the weekend type and keeps it as a second home. The other family has a small horse farm and lives there year round. I have never heard of either of them having any problems. It by no means is a racist area like some rural areas you would find down south. In typical northeastern fashion, most people don't care what color you are as long as you are a good neighbor.
There are African American families in this community. And there are some people that are nice, but did you know that there are some people that aren't as open minded as you appear to be. I hope these two families are finding it safe to live in Norwich as you state. I would like to hear their views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York