Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 05:50 AM

275 posts, read 1,285,426 times

Advertisements

Hi, I may be possibly relocating to VT from GA. I can live anywhere within VT, but I was thinking maybe even a small town in upstate NY along the border instead? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 08:18 AM

17 posts, read 98,522 times
I can't speak for the "upper border" (mostly Lake Champlain anyway), but I can cover the middle section.

I would steer clear of Whitehall and Fort Anne. They are conveniently located to Route 149/4 (one of the gateways into VT), but don't seem to be very desirable. I would also avoid other small NY towns along the VT border south of Route 4. Don't let the low home prices fool you. Go to the State of NY's Dept. of Education page and research the school report cards before you commit to an area. Even if you don't have kids, the quality of schools and graduation rate are sometimes indicative of the quality of an area in general.

Queensbury and Glens Falls seem to be a decent places with decent schools, plus they are near major shopping areas and within a long commute to Albany.

If you want to cross over the border a couple miles into VT, I know of a great restored 2600' Victorian with a giant barn, 20 minutes from Rutland, that's about to hit the market at about $235K. PM me for details if you are seriously interested.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:55 PM

518 posts, read 2,006,980 times
Default Some people.............

now live in the area of either Essex, Willsboro, Ticonderoga, Crown Point, Port Henry, New York and work over in Vermont since the very southern border of Burlington and Middlebury, Charlotte, other areas of Vermont are very easily accessed by just taking the Crown Point bridge across..............Just a thought. Real estate is much cheaper over here, people keep their Vermont license plates and registrations and pay cheaper taxes, but actually live over here and work over there (Vermont). People over here have actually started calling them the endearing name of 'carpetbaggers' but hey, if you can make it work and pay less taxes these days and beat the system, I definitely understand it................I am sure it is no different from other border states around the country.............Know in Memphis, Tennessee (that has a 9 percent sales tax), people choose to live in Mississippi and get more house for the money, pay less taxes, yet work in the Memphis metro area. Nothing new in my book.............

Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 25,328 times
Default Born & Raised in VT

I was born and raised in Vermont, went to college at UVM and spent the first 28 years of my life there. You really will be pretty excited about the state. I wouldn't bother with NY (Sorry NYers...I will be NYer in four weeks) but, there are some fantastic areas and the real estate is well priced. If you are used to cities, forget it. The closest you will get is Burlington, however, I truly enjoyed Georgia, Fairfax, Essex, and even Essex Jct are nice areas. If you are looking a little more rural...you won't have any problems. Northfield, Roxbury and Barre (pronounced Barry) are decent areas....Extra rural I recommend the VT/NH border. Newbury, Bradford, St Johnsbury, and even Fairlee are beautiful. My father is a captain in the State Police (Retired) and you will find the crime, the people, and the way of life wonderful. Feel free to email or IM me, as I have relocated a couple of times, I would be happy to let you know anything I know about the areas.

Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 12,247 times
Looking for a small vacation home/property in southern VT. It has to be close enough to commute to Albany within an hour and 15. Any suggestions?

Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,086,634 times
Pownal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York