U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,666 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the ticket in the mail once the court receives it? I am living in Canada and waiting for the ticket from NY.

Also, I have travel plans to southern state in December. Will I be denied entry into the USA bc of my NY state speeding ticket?

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 7,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl0990 View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the ticket in the mail once the court receives it? I am living in Canada and waiting for the ticket from NY.

Also, I have travel plans to southern state in December. Will I be denied entry into the USA bc of my NY state speeding ticket?

Thanks in advance
I doubt you're still wondering about this, but if you still haven't received a response from the court after sending in your Not Guilty (or Guilty) plea by mail, you should contact them immediately. I work at a busy traffic ticket office Upstate and we see people suspended all the time for Failure to Answer Summons, which in your case, would mean the court never received or filed your Not Guilty plea. Stuff gets lost in the mail all the time and even when it gets to the court, clerks can lose or misfile your documents and they will not take the heat for you. If you are suspended, make sure to contact a traffic lawyer immediately and do not drive. If you get pulled over with a suspended license, you can be charged with a misdemeanor (crime), and have your car towed, etc.

If your case is still open or pending a resolution (this is for all the future searchers coming to this thread), you should not have any problems coming in to or driving through the U.S. Remember also that NY, Quebec & Ontario have agreements to track violations in each other's territory. And New York state records all traffic violations committed in the state whether you are from New York, another state, country, or have no license at all. A good resource is NySpeedingTicketFines.com where our office has details about what happened in real cases throughout the state.

Hopefully you've got it all cleared up though.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM

12,750 posts, read 11,789,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseBillow View Post
Remember also that NY, Quebec & Ontario have agreements to track violations in each other's territory. And New York state records all traffic violations committed in the state whether you are from New York, another state, country, or have no license at all.
Well, that is VERY interesting and something to keep in mind. I knew some states shared info, but had no idea that some of Canada shared!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM

908 posts, read 962,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Not guilty not guilty not guilty! Why pay if you don't have to?

NY courts are very likely to lower the fine.
I love how people - instead of taking responsibility for their actions - go and plead not guilty for something they did.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 PM

9,842 posts, read 19,473,858 times
Out of state vehicles are magnets for speed traps & greedy small towns.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,617 times
NEED HELP!
This past weekend, I got a speeding ticket for 82-mph in a 65-mph zone in NYS I-90(Pittsford).
There was a situation: I was on the right lane. The front car (RED) pushed the brake and slow down a lot. There were moving cars behind our car closely. If I pushed the brake, it might cause an accident. Right at the moment, I had to speed up to change to LEFT lane, then moved back to RIGHT lane by passed the RED car. I was caught by the police officer at that moment.
The ticket was written with two mistake - wrong car plate number and color of our car (GXXXXX to CXXXXXX and SILVER to GRAY). All other info are corrected, including my drive license number and address. Can it be dismissed? If so, how should I approach it? Do I need to go to the court in Pittsford NYS? Please advise. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q3999 View Post
NEED HELP!
This past weekend, I got a speeding ticket for 82-mph in a 65-mph zone in NYS I-90(Pittsford).
There was a situation: I was on the right lane. The front car (RED) pushed the brake and slow down a lot. There were moving cars behind our car closely. If I pushed the brake, it might cause an accident. Right at the moment, I had to speed up to change to LEFT lane, then moved back to RIGHT lane by passed the RED car. I was caught by the police officer at that moment.
The ticket was written with two mistake - wrong car plate number and color of our car (GXXXXX to CXXXXXX and SILVER to GRAY). All other info are corrected, including my drive license number and address. Can it be dismissed? If so, how should I approach it? Do I need to go to the court in Pittsford NYS? Please advise. Thanks.
Sounds like you were following too closely to begin with. Mail it in and plead not guilty. You'll get a court date with location mailed to you and normally everyone will be offered the same deal. You can pay an attorney to do the same thing and get the same offer which is what frequently happens so you're paying extra anyway.

Silver and grey isn't enough to get a ticket dismissed. That's a pretty lame way to try to get out of a ticket and it won't work. Doubtful that the G and C error would do much either. They have your license and address so you're ultimately on the hook.

There's really not much you can do to fight a speeding ticket. It's your word against an officer of the court who got you on laser probably. Really hard to fight that! You were speeding so I'm not sure what you think you're going to get out of. Stick to 10 mph or less over the speed limit and 99% of the time, they look the other way.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,617 times
Many thanks "ss20ts" advise. I am a safe driver in general, always under 70-mph. As you know, there are not too many cars under 70-mph in highway. I don't know how I got up to this 82-mph.

I agree that I was following too closely to the front RED car at that moment (sunny and nice driving condition), so did the car behind me. I had followed the RED car for a while. It was my mistake.

I were told that if there are incorrect information written (by the officer) on the ticket, the ticket should be dismissed. Just wonder if there are any chance (how many %) I can get away from it. Should I hire an attorney (specialize in these type of cases) to handle it with better chance? Please advise again.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM

You can contact an attorney and pay them, but NY is hard up for $$$$ so your chances of dismissal are slim to none. An attorney is going to cost you a couple hundred bucks. Might as well just pay for the ticket! The system is designed so you have to pay no matter what.

Years ago my cr wasn't inspected. I got a ticket for it. I got it inspected and was told by several people that the ticket would be dismissed because I got it inspected. Nope. The ticket was like $15 or something cheap. The state fee was over $75. The state fees are even more now. You can't go by what people tell you. NY does what they want. Like I said, they're hard up for $$$$ so they're taking every penny they can these days!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,190 times
You should state your case as to what happened maybe we can see if its worth fighting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York