Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,875 times

Advertisements

i recieved a 78 in a 55 and a month later a 53 in a 30 in the SAME county... what do i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollazo88 View Post
i recieved a 78 in a 55 and a month later a 53 in a 30 in the SAME county... what do i do?
Slow down.
Prepare to pay fines and points or lawyer up.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
You don't have a CDL so I'd just pay the ticket & not try to negotiate a price... But 17mph over the limit???
If you'd had done that in Pennsylvania, you might not have a license.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartach View Post
i recently got a speesing ticket on 481 in clay new york and the cop said that I was doing 83 in a 65 but when i looked down i was only doing 70 in a 65, does anyone know how much this is going to cost me? the other thing that makes me really mad is that the cop noticed that my friend didn' have his seat belt on and didn't give him a ticket for that, where is the fairness in that. the cop just might of been hateing woman on that day or some thing.
You may have gotten bitten by that too... You're in control of the car so you are in control of your passengers.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
I understand Canuckexpat....the reason they don't put the fine down is because you do have the 'opportunity' to 'plead down' your ticket with the DA in front of the judge.
For example going 10+ miles over the speed limit would be I think, 4 points on a NYS license+ larger fine. If you could plead it down to maybe 5 miles over, you would only get 2 points and less of a fine with the option of taking a drivers ed course to even get those two points taken off your license.

NYS likes to make things complicated LOL
The drivers ed course (Correct name Point Insurance Reduction Program) does NOT remove points from your license.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollazo88 View Post
Lawyer up! I got an 83 in a 65 (which I absolutely disputed). Got myself a lawyer and had it reduced to 'Vio Misc Rules'.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:25 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
"...only 17 miles over the limit??????" Are you serious? How much over the limit is too fast? Frankly, this is why limits are posted. There's no sliding scale. The law is the law.
82 mph is an extremely reasonable speed to drive on a limited access highway. Most European countries have speed limits up to 130 kmh.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 442 times
I got a ticket for doing 49 in a 30. I was going to plead guilty just to get it over with. But should I plead not guilty and see what happens? I'm just afraid to and they ask me why I plead not guilty and to only say because I know I wasn't going that fast. They'll believe the cop over me regardless no? Help anyone?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubskixo View Post
I got a ticket for doing 49 in a 30. I was going to plead guilty just to get it over with. But should I plead not guilty and see what happens? I'm just afraid to and they ask me why I plead not guilty and to only say because I know I wasn't going that fast. They'll believe the cop over me regardless no? Help anyone?
Contact a lawyer. Depending where you got the ticket, and if pleading to a lower offense is an option, you might be able to either get it knocked down to a lower infraction (ideally less than 15 over the limit, I believe insurance in NY can't ding you for a single violation of less than 15 over, if you have an otherwise clean record) or to an equipment or other moving violation.

Or, the cop might not show up in court, or they may not have a clear record of servicing the radar gun, etc. If you plead guilty it's all moot.

And before you think that a lawyer is more expensive, you're talking at least hundreds in fines now, plus the potential for higher insurance premiums for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York