Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM

136 posts, read 763,387 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago my husband got a speeding ticket on the I-90 in New York State. He was only 17 miles over the speed limit. When we looked at the ticket it did not specify any amount of the fine. It only gives two options if you want to pay by mail to either plead guilty or not guilty. He has a CT driver's license and the state trooper said it would not affect his CT driving record.

I have gotten speeding tickets before and they have all specified the amount. Is this like some sort of warrning?

In the section "Plea of guilt" it says that if you plead guilty that the court will impose a fine after. How much can be the maximum of that fine?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
"...only 17 miles over the limit??????" Are you serious? How much over the limit is too fast? Frankly, this is why limits are posted. There's no sliding scale. The law is the law.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:53 PM

He was going with the flow of traffic and there were quite a few people going much faster than us. Just because he was going faster does not mean he was driving like an idiot.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:00 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
well, technically there is no "flow of traffic" rule. cops can pull you over the second you go over that posted speed limit regardless of what speed everyone was going around you. kind of like "if they jumped off a bridge would you?" there are cops who are more lenient but technically there's no room for negotiation when it comes to the posted speed limit.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 AM

118 posts, read 626,741 times
Your husband does have to take a plea of either guilty or not guilty. If he pleads not guilty he will have to return to the court of the town in which he received his ticket to go in front of the judge and the DA to possibly have the charge pleaded down with the DA.

If he pleads guilty he will just be mailed a fine, which at 17MPH over will be probably $150 plus. You can call the Town Court and they can tell you a pretty approximate amount of how much it will be.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Thank you MovesAlot, that's all I wanted to know! I was not trying to justify whether he was right or wrong, just we found it strange to get a speeding ticket with no amount on it.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Not guilty not guilty not guilty! Why pay if you don't have to?

NY courts are very likely to lower the fine.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 AM

118 posts, read 626,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckexpat View Post
Thank you MovesAlot, that's all I wanted to know! I was not trying to justify whether he was right or wrong, just we found it strange to get a speeding ticket with no amount on it.

I understand Canuckexpat....the reason they don't put the fine down is because you do have the 'opportunity' to 'plead down' your ticket with the DA in front of the judge.
For example going 10+ miles over the speed limit would be I think, 4 points on a NYS license+ larger fine. If you could plead it down to maybe 5 miles over, you would only get 2 points and less of a fine with the option of taking a drivers ed course to even get those two points taken off your license.

NYS likes to make things complicated LOL

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM

136 posts, read 378,866 times
yes reduce the offense to a non-speeding charge because then the locals don't have to share the ticket money with the state, so go in person and ask and most likely they will reduce the charge as long as they get their money for the local court, in fact it works out better for the local court that way of course.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM

136 posts, read 378,866 times
do not, do not, do not plead guilty without that reduction in offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York