Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 PM

29 posts, read 144,813 times

Advertisements

Hello I am 30 yr old young man looking to get out of the hustle and fast pace of the city. I am looking to move upstate NY. I really love the adirondacks area, but I dont believe there are enough jobs there. I am an entrepreneur owning a few businesses. I currently own an indoor skatepark, skateboard company, skateboard hardware company, and skateboard bearing company. I would love to continue what I am doing now. If you know of a place that has alot of children that skateboard/rollerblade/bike and are in need of an indoor skatepark facility, please let me know. I would also be looking for an affordable warehouse, house, and possible rental units to rent. I may be interested in buying a bar/restaurant because the NORTH needs great Pizza!!!

Contact me if you can help:
SrgUws@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
You might want to visit communities such as Old Forge, Saranac/Lake Placid, and obviously Lake George. I know that Old Forge is trying to attract mountain biking to the area which might also attract some skateboarding.

Actually, I think the North could use some great Mexican food. But if you can make GREAT pizza, that's always welcome too!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
It is a beautiful area but sadly much of NNY is economically depressed & the job market is non existent. We recently relocated to the Buffalo area when I was laid off from my job in Plattsburgh because I really had no other options in my field in the area. Pizza shops are a dime a dozen so you better make something really special if you want to lure customers away from the places they currently buy from. I have to agree that Saranac/Lake Placid & Lake George would be your best bets for opening a successful business, many of the other towns can be very cliquish & some towns can seem downright creepy to outsiders (especially on the northern side of the Adirondacks). Though it is a little north/west of the Adirondacks, Potsdam is a nice town with a strong college presence. Whatever you do, stay away from Massena, Malone, Chateauguay & Dannemora!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 AM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Also look at cities on the southern end of the Adirondacks like Glens Falls, Saratoga Springs, Gloversville, etc.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

50 posts, read 149,938 times
Saratoga Springs is probably a good bet and a close drive to the bigger mountains. Lake George is definitely a seasonal town and their school is small (as are the rest of the schools in the ADKs), so going towards the foothills may be your best bet for your business. (I am assuming you want your business to be busy outside of the summer months too!) Northern Saratoga county may be what you are looking for.

Also, people up here really don't know what good pizza is, and I agree you better have something special to start out upstate. I also agree we need more REAL Mexican foods/restaurants. Or anything ethnic for that matter.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM

29 posts, read 144,813 times
Thanks for the repsonses. I have been to many of the places you mentioned. I love the moutains. I snowboard all the time at the COLDEST MT. EVER WhiteFace and usually leave with a very RED Face. But you cant beat the cleanliness of the ADK area. Im not looking to get rich, just looking to survive, be happy, and content. Its cold up there, that is the only negative I see, but it could be a plus for business.

If anyone has kids ask them about a skatepark. Thats my main interest. As for a bar/restaraunt/pizza that is just something to help keep moving. Truly looking to for peace and quiet with friendly people.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Post There is a skatepark up here in

the summer already built at the former Bailey Avenue Park, now Melissa Penfield Park so you already have some interest and also, I see when I leave the college on the weekend library run guys skateboarding along the rails and ramps near the library and college campus center, so there are some fans and probably more outside the city that I never see........I think the key is to make it a hip wannabe place.......even the bowling alleys up here are filled on the weekends in winter........kids get fries and burgers and glow in dark bowling and parents feel safe giving them 20 bucks and picking them up at midnight after they've all spent their money..........Not sure best location right now for you.............maybe near bowling alley???????? Good pizza and wings will fly up here for sure...........and fries. Their are places that are good, but aren't the whole package.............

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Some other communities to consider are Ticonderoga, Port Henry, Malone, Lowville, Tupper Lake, Potsdam and Canton.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Wink Personally, and I don't want to step on

anyone's toes, but I would not even consider Port Henry or Lowville or any of the places without a college or a particular 'vibe' to them. I don't see how there could be enough customers to keep a place like he is describing open. We recently have a hookah bar downtown and a couple of coffee places downtown some with live music on weekends.........

Point being that it takes a particular type of crowd to have the cash and spare time to do what he is suggesting and there are more of those types around here these days........It could be some Vermont spillover.......or college kids (record enrollments for the state school here lately and also the community college), but I definitely see more hippies, and youngsters, teens out and about this year than ever before...........Think we might be getting more influx from downstate as well since the economy is at least holding its own........Check out news re: Nova Bus company and there are many Canadian companies now on the new base and development area. I must say that I have never seen so many Vermont plates as I did around here at the beginning of this week.............Expected to see the Quebec plates because of the holiday yesterday, but not Vermont...........explanation from anyone?

Bottom line: just make sure you have enough potential customers......check out the downtown areas or malls or already built skateboard places before deciding...........

Old 06-26-2009, 04:04 PM

145 posts, read 498,849 times
Honestly i don't think your business could really function year round in ADks... however if you could keep your overhead low I think Old Forge actually draws lots of families with kids because of the water park in the summer. Lake George too. A skate park coupled with maybe a paint ball park might work? Not just a skate park. Might be tricky to get anything to pass with APA... come to the area chat with some local business owners and real estate agents that specialize in businesses. There are a ton of restaurants for sale in Old Forge right now, but that isn't exactly a great sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York