U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM

14 posts, read 115,611 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Please help me to get the information related to NY state tax;

I am living in NJ and working in NJ at client location. My employer is in NYC.
For some reason my employer asked me to pay NY state tax.
Howmuch is the NY state tax?? My salary is $90K. Based on my salary, how much I need to pay for NY state tax?
At the end of year when I file tax returns, can I get the benefit of NYS paid when I file for NJ

Thanks for you help.
SK2007.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM

27,558 posts, read 15,489,442 times
no

you live in Jersey
you work in jersey

you pay Jersey taxes....you are not a resident of NY...you do not work in NY

your w2/w4 (paycheck) usually will only allow 1 state claim...if you end up using NY, then NO(zero) jersey taxes will be duducted...and you will OWE jersey at the end of the year.....(side note all that you pay to ny should get back at the end of the year since you are NOT a resident/parttime resident(ie overpayment))

Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 AM

12,734 posts, read 11,778,830 times
If you spend 1 second working in the NYC office, then you employed in NYC. Thus, you will have to pay NYC and state taxes. The rates vary based on your adjusted gross income. No one can give you an exact amount.

The taxes you would pay to NY will be credited to you on the Jersey side. NY will NOT refund your money because you're not a resident. They don't care! they want their money!

You can fill out the tax forms for both states which is what you will need to do if you spend 1 second working in NY.

Where is the office you work out of? If it's in NYC, then you HAVE to file NYS & NYC tax. If you don't, they WILL come after you!

You may be working on a client site which is what my husband does. We live in NY so we pay NY taxes. he works from home and has no corporate office. If all of the sudden he was to work for the company office in Union, NJ and still work from here, he would have to NY and NJ tax.

Basically, everyone wants their money. We're tax monkeys here in the northeast especially NY.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,933 times
Hi,

My package is 67000 and working in NY state. My taxable salary per month is 5441 and I am married. Based on my salary how much tax i have to pay. How i can calculate my state tax, federal tax, SSN and medical tax. Currently i am paying 446 federal tax, 79 medical tax, 280 NY state tax and 338 SSN. I think i am paying more tax. Could any one can help me.

Thanks in advance
Rattan

Old 08-02-2009, 02:52 PM

34,990 posts, read 35,515,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2007 View Post
Hi,

Please help me to get the information related to NY state tax;

I am living in NJ and working in NJ at client location. My employer is in NYC.
For some reason my employer asked me to pay NY state tax.
Howmuch is the NY state tax?? My salary is $90K. Based on my salary, how much I need to pay for NY state tax?
At the end of year when I file tax returns, can I get the benefit of NYS paid when I file for NJ

Thanks for you help.
SK2007.
If you live & work in NJ, then you need to pay NJ taxes. If your employer only deducts NY state taxes (& you don't work at all in NY), then at the end of the year you can use the refund of NY state in order to help pay the NJ state taxes that you will owe (which were not deducted from your salary).

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM

341 posts, read 1,410,575 times
I heard that currently, there is no NYC commuter tax. Can't speak to the state tax issue, but I've heard that if you live outside NYC and commute in for work, you do not pay NYC taxes.

I live in NYC now, so I pay... years ago when I lived on Long Island, I paid the taxes as a commuter, but I'm told by my accountant that it's not the case now (but not to count on it staying that way forever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or