Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM

14 posts, read 49,454 times

Advertisements

As for rental properties:
It seemed really hard to find rental properties that were modern and were not primarily for college students. Finding places that accepted pets was also difficult. We had some trouble with people not showing up to appointments as well as false advertisement of properties. We really love the place we found, though!
As for the area:
Adirondack Park and the terrain is gorgeous. We really liked the small population and small town atmosphere of the city/ town. It is also convenient that the majority of shops are in a central location. 'Downtown' was charming, and we cannot wait to explore it further. The locals were friendly, and were quick to tell us how much we would love living in Plattsburgh. We are thrilled to be planning our move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Be sure to come visit us (Burlington area) across the lake when you get settled.
Welcome to the area!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possible Plattsburgher View Post
As for rental properties:
It seemed really hard to find rental properties that were modern and were not primarily for college students. Finding places that accepted pets was also difficult. We had some trouble with people not showing up to appointments as well as false advertisement of properties. We really love the place we found, though!
As for the area:
Adirondack Park and the terrain is gorgeous. We really liked the small population and small town atmosphere of the city/ town. It is also convenient that the majority of shops are in a central location. 'Downtown' was charming, and we cannot wait to explore it further. The locals were friendly, and were quick to tell us how much we would love living in Plattsburgh. We are thrilled to be planning our move!

If you do not mind me asking, where did you settle on living? I am still in the process of finding a modern one bedroom apartment in the city. My first trip up there was unsuccessful and I am hoping I will find what I am looking for on the next one.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM

To varial:
We did not look at any modern, upscale condos with fewer than two bedrooms (except for one). As nunoco recommended, the one bedroom in East Oval Estates was nice ($900/mo. + utilities), but way too small for us. If it is still available, I would recommend it.
We ended up paying more than we planned on for a brand new three bedroom apartment outside of the city. We found no nice, new rental properties for less than $950-$1100/mo. + utilities. A local young couple recommended Meron Properties to contact for newer townhouses, which we would have done if we had not found a place. Apparently Meron has newer apartments for about $900/mo., so they might be a good place to look next! We also had a VERY hard time finding something, so don't get discouraged!
To vter: We cannot WAIT to take the ferry across! Any suggestions for places we should visit?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times
Post Know you didn't ask me but..........

would highly recommend the Shelburne Museum................They have original everything including a covered bridge, one room school house, a round barn, an original train car (one from the days of private train cars) and a real lighthouse that used to house a family back when lighthouses were actually residences, and.......a real steamboat that used to travel Lake Champlain.
Check out the saga on film about how the museum moved the huge steamboat/ferry on a track in the winter up to its present location..........The gardens are beautiful, the location gorgeous and it is also the location of several concerts this summer..............David Byrne of Talking Heads was Monday night, Emmylou Harris is tomorrow night and Jackson Browne is sometime later this summer..........Bton's waterfront is very nice also......lots of park space and activities and festivals...........Discover Jazz Fest is this weekend and Diana Krall is at the Flynn. Oh, the Flynn theater downtown is a must as well........Great Art Deco 1920's restored theatre........Pburgh is trying to get funding to finish the Strand Theater and it will be amazing when it is done because we have an original theatre organ in place just as in the early days of cinema..........just have to finish it.....Lots of things going on as people continue to get away from the craziness of city life downstate and migrate up to this area. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks, Plattsburgher! Those sound like great suggestions.
Any suggestions for cable/internet providers in Plattsburgh? Sorry if you have addressed this in another thread- I checked a few but did not find it.

Last edited by Possible Plattsburgher; 06-04-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I agree with Shelburne Museum. Shelburne Farms is also worth a visit. Downtown Burlington is great, especially Church Street and the waterfront is beautiful.
I'm due to get over to P'burg one of these days to go to Target and I might as well stop and get a Michigan Dog

Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times
Post Come over for Mayor's Cup in July.........

Drive about 8 miles north on Rt 9 and there is an awesome little museum (gray building with gardens) in this old historic town of Chazy, NY. A fellow by the name of Miner and his wife settled in this area in the late 1800/early 1900's and he invented the coupling device so that railroad cars would not bang into each other and made millions. His name is on everything around that area........Also check out his home which is now Miner Farm Institute where you can visit all the antique cars and farm equipment and visit a real working farm that houses students from Cornell, Cali, Kentucky, and many other colleges. You can even put your hand inside a special (live) cow and feel the stomach digesting food........nowhere else have I ever been able to do that!!!! I promise!
The farm and research center is impressive and we have many visiting professors and ag people visit all the time........If you have to get a michigan, go to Ronnie's up on Route 3 just west of town, because they have fantastic homemade sauce and also afterward you can get the best ice cream/soft-serve around. If you need additional feeding spots, ask away.....we have a great 3 generation Italian place downtown, a great Greek place, a place that has a sister restaurant in Albany for the best casual Italian.......think northern Italian/Olive Garden stuff and get a BBQ pizza....mmmmmm. Oh, and for the entire deal......it's expensive, but Anthony's is to die for.......their bistro menu is fantastic. We also have tons of exquisite old Catholic churches to visit. Both St Peters and St Johns are very elaborate and no money was wasted in either interior. Our waterfront is pretty cool where the Naked Turtle is just to enjoy a sunset with a nice drink. Also the michigan stand at the marina there is good......the Turtle always has live tunes on the weekends.....lots of large Canadian sailboats here for Mayor's Cup week..............check it out.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM

Thank you for all of these wonderful suggestions- keep them coming!!! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to pass them along. What a great summer we'll have!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM

205 posts, read 389,375 times
So Possible Plattsburgher now thats its been over 2 yrs how do you like life up there?

and to everyone else... I was looking at the east oval apts myself recently... would you all still recommend them now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York