Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 AM

7 posts, read 30,951 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move from California to New York towards the end of the year. The cost of living in the San Francisco/Bay Area is at an all time high and we simply can't afford to live here. We are looking to relocate either in Dutchess or Orange County. Some of the cities we've looked at are Beacon and Poughkeepsie. One of our main concerns is the quality of school. We have two children who will be starting elementary school next year. Other concerns, of course, are the cost of living and safety. Any information, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
You might want to rethink Poughkeepsie...

Old 08-01-2006, 10:40 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beljag
My family and I are planning to move from California to New York towards the end of the year. The cost of living in the San Francisco/Bay Area is at an all time high and we simply can't afford to live here. We are looking to relocate either in Dutchess or Orange County. Some of the cities we've looked at are Beacon and Poughkeepsie. One of our main concerns is the quality of school. We have two children who will be starting elementary school next year. Other concerns, of course, are the cost of living and safety. Any information, good or bad, would be appreciated.
You should look at Tarrytown and Irvington. While not cheap, it will pale in comparison to the Bay Area. Additionally they are reported to have some of the best public schools in the area. I was up there this weekend. While taking a picture of an unusual house, a lady walking by stopped and told me how great the schools were in the area (while I don't have kids I am at an age that most do). It is also an easy commute into the city and right on the Hudson. Georgous!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,884 times
Default Orange County

Orange County is also nice, and Monroe-Woodbury Schools are rated some of the best in the state.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:11 PM

Thanks mhogan10010 and hjlacey! This will give us a good place to start on our relocation research. If you have any more suggestions, please don't hesitate.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Default You are in for a shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beljag
That is so funny. I would trade places with you in a minute. Actually I was planning to move out to Los Angeles back in March, but got a job offer here in Manhattan that I really couldn't refuse but next year (2007) I am out of here.

But, you think that the Cost of Living, Taxes, & Quality of Life will be better here in the NYC metro area (Orange & Dutchess is still part of NYC metro like Nassau & Suffol)?? You are in for a rude awakening. At least in the Bay Area & LA you can rent a nice apartment or house for significantly less than owning. Not so around here. It is nearly impossible to find a legal apartment for less than $2,000 a month. Plus rents are skyrocketing everywhere in and around NYC and the suburbs.
Taxes, commuting costs, groceries, gas are confiscatory expensive.

If you need $100,000 to live on as a single person in the Bay Area, you need closer to $200,000 around here.

Also, you will have to say goodbye to that laid back, friendly, neighborly attitude you find out west. Here you are judged by what you drive & what you wear as well as your ethnicity.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
lol; Nick has clearly never spent a lot of time on the west coast. All of these hometown loating New Yorkers are starting to get on my nerves. And I'm not even from there. I do know however that the Bay Area is BY far the most expensive metro in the country. You can't find much of anything less than 2 hours outside of San Fran for under 700k. 700K can definitely get you a decent house throughout most of the NYC metro.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
But, Nick, isn't LA expensive, too? California is more expensive than NY for housing. (I am not sure about renting but I would think that would also be out of sight).

Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 AM

Gypsysoul22, it is expensive to live in L.A, as well as the San Francisco bay area. Although there has been a slowing trend of homes being sold, prices of homes continue to go on the rise. As a result, renters are taking advantage to increase the cost of rent in apartments/homes.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:56 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28
That is so funny. I would trade places with you in a minute. Actually I was planning to move out to Los Angeles back in March, but got a job offer here in Manhattan that I really couldn't refuse but next year (2007) I am out of here.

But, you think that the Cost of Living, Taxes, & Quality of Life will be better here in the NYC metro area (Orange & Dutchess is still part of NYC metro like Nassau & Suffol)?? You are in for a rude awakening. At least in the Bay Area & LA you can rent a nice apartment or house for significantly less than owning. Not so around here. It is nearly impossible to find a legal apartment for less than $2,000 a month. Plus rents are skyrocketing everywhere in and around NYC and the suburbs.
Taxes, commuting costs, groceries, gas are confiscatory expensive.

If you need $100,000 to live on as a single person in the Bay Area, you need closer to $200,000 around here.

Also, you will have to say goodbye to that laid back, friendly, neighborly attitude you find out west. Here you are judged by what you drive & what you wear as well as your ethnicity.

Nick, are you kidding us? You've done nothing but complain about the high cost of NY and LI, and explained to prospective newcomers about how impossible it is to live here. Now you're looking at California???? Isn't that like going from the frying pan into the fire???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York