Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 06:16 PM

57 posts, read 296,696 times

Advertisements

Hello folks. My house in CA is on the market and we are still planning on relocating to Warwick. I've read some bad stuff on this site about Middletown. Seems to me that's pretty close to Warwick when looking on a map. We lost the house we were in escrow for in Warwick because the market out here in Los Angeles is so stale. Once it sells though we are coming back. We'd love to be in Westchester or Rockland county closer to MAnhattan, but can't afford it, and it seems though you can get much more bang for the buck in Orange. Is Warwick our best choice as far as good schools and quality of life as far as Orange County goes. When we come back, we want to make sure we are focusing on the right place. We thought it was beautiful when we were there, but some of the postings concern us. Also... been checking the weather reports out there, and you guys aren't that much colder than us here in Los Angeles. Has it snowed there yet? Is this Uncommon? Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 PM

277 posts, read 773,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrakern View Post
Hello folks. My house in CA is on the market and we are still planning on relocating to Warwick. I've read some bad stuff on this site about Middletown. Seems to me that's pretty close to Warwick when looking on a map. We lost the house we were in escrow for in Warwick because the market out here in Los Angeles is so stale. Once it sells though we are coming back. We'd love to be in Westchester or Rockland county closer to MAnhattan, but can't afford it, and it seems though you can get much more bang for the buck in Orange. Is Warwick our best choice as far as good schools and quality of life as far as Orange County goes. When we come back, we want to make sure we are focusing on the right place. We thought it was beautiful when we were there, but some of the postings concern us. Also... been checking the weather reports out there, and you guys aren't that much colder than us here in Los Angeles. Has it snowed there yet? Is this Uncommon? Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!
Warwick may be close to Middletown geographically, but they are still very different towns and your concern is pretty much a none issue.

I would recommend the Monroe, Harriman, Highland Mills area. They are part of the Monroe/Woodbury school system which has a great reputation. I also like these towns because they are much more conveniently located than Warwick. They are the closest towns to the NYS Thruway and have easy access to public transportation to NYC. The downside is the property taxes are more than in Warwick.

As for the weather, we are having an unusually mild winter so far. We normally would've had at least a couple of snow storms by now.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 60,860 times
hello, I lived in warwick ny for 13 years, great town ,beautiful old down town , friendly people , my house is for sale and i am moving back to ny! hate the south!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 AM

5 posts, read 46,877 times
I've also heard good things about the washingtonville area

Old 01-07-2007, 05:57 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,445 times
Default Orange county, NY

Middletown City is not good nor is the schools, but 5 min. aways is Scotchtown with Pine Bush schools, not bad there and close to everything. Warwick is nice but taxes are up there so are the home prices. But coming from Ca taxes may not be high for you.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:52 AM

52 posts, read 288,354 times
Default Warwick

I hung out in Warwick for about two years. Beautiful country, esp. for Orange County. It's worlds apart from Middletown. Warwick is great to raise a family, and if you don't mind a long commute (work is very hard to find in the Warwick Valley). I was single, so for me the town was very boring, although it's diverse with friendly people. It had a pretty interesting philo cafe. I heard Monroe was overrated.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:20 AM

24 posts, read 126,228 times
we lived in orange county for 13 years had my 2 children in st anthonys in warwick, beautiful hospital, quaint town, but they are changing rapidly. We moved out of monroe woodbury because of the Hasidic population they are growing in vast #s and are out of control, leaching off the NYS tax system that we pay into and they dont. They are having alot of problems with them overtaking and the orange county taxes are extremly high, we went up 3000 dollars in just one tax year. The schools are medioca, they have gone down in testing scores since my 2 older children attended in the 90's. The clintel is coming up from NYC and bringing with it its bad habits, gangs, loud car music, rudeness ect... sure most of the originals from the orange county are still there and they are wonderful but you have to be careful with the influx coming into the towns. Its a shame because it is a beautiful area but it has gone to the dogs, sorry to burst your bussble. Also I hear from my friends that people can not sell their homes there either.
good luck
also this past winter was a fluke, they usually come like that every 10 years or so, but this year was definitly not the norm.

Last edited by gig harbor; 02-04-2007 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: spelling fogot something

Old 06-13-2009, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 17,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Warwick may be close to Middletown geographically, but they are still very different towns and your concern is pretty much a none issue.

I would recommend the Monroe, Harriman, Highland Mills area. They are part of the Monroe/Woodbury school system which has a great reputation. I also like these towns because they are much more conveniently located than Warwick. They are the closest towns to the NYS Thruway and have easy access to public transportation to NYC. The downside is the property taxes are more than in Warwick.

As for the weather, we are having an unusually mild winter so far. We normally would've had at least a couple of snow storms by now.
I am also relocating to Warwick. The house is located on Old Mt. Peter Road. I am terrified of the winding mountains that everyone has been speaking of. Are they really very dangerous, and is there another way to get to Rt 17 without going over the mountain?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,485 times
Have you ever driven the road to Hana in Hawaii? If so , you have nothing to worry about! Honestly, unless you are a dangerous driver and it is icy conditions, it really is no big deal! You can easily exit or enter the village from numerous roads and get to major hihghways in a snap! You should read the other threads posted they are very explicit. My husband and I are house hunting there and it is no problem getting around, unless you are geographically challenged! LOL....Good luck!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 17,084 times
Thanks,Emaxcy, I haven't had the opportunity to visit Hana yet. But I am moving to Old Mt. Peter Rd, so I have to travel over 17a. I am a safe driver, but afraid of heights. The thought of having to drive over 2 mountains in the winter, when it snows is frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York