Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times

Advertisements

Hi,

In late September, we'll be driving from NYC to Montreal. Is it worth it to take Rte. 9 instead of I-87 for scenery? About how long will it take? What places along that route should we plan to stop and visit?

Thanks for any suggestions ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post No, no and no............

Hi............I would never take route 9 instead of 1-87 from NYC to Montreal.....not all that much to see and oh, so much longer a trip. Actually, the I-87 interstate has the title of "most scenic highway" or one of most scenic highway in the US and you go through the ADK's.................

Having said that, if you have never stopped a bit north of Lake George there are some beautiful mountains and of course Lake George and all the shops and touristy places that make you feel as if you were dropped into the 1950's all over again.........some historic tour boats but boatloads of traffic and it slowly courses all the way through town via route 9, so if you get off the interstate there, just drive north and then get back on the highway as soon as possible.............

Another place that is very cool (IF, if, if you have time is the Ticonderoga fort and Crown Point bridge area...........especially if you are a history buff of the smallest nature..........). It's a haul to get from I-87 all the way over to route 9 but it is worth it to stop at the fort...........amazingly preserved and have the guides authentically dressed in revolutionary war garb. You and your kids will freak out............The Crown Point bridge was used in the Michelle Pheiffer movie with Harrison Ford "What Lies Beneath" and it's a cool example of a very unusual 1930's bridge............

The best place and most convenient place to stray from I 87 would definitely be from the Keeseville exit on up into Pburgh...........Their is a mountain called Pok o Moonshine where ice climbers and rock climbers go all the time and you can see them from the road (route 9)..........Also, there is a gorge called Ausable Chasm that is just awesome near exit 35 and it isn't far from I 87.......worth the trip to it.............very cool and a one of a kind place by far!!!!

If you just stay on route 9 from there until you get to pburgh, just check out the amazing homes on the lake and boaters and islands and marinas and wildlife and state parks and gorgeous homes and the third oldest golf course in the country...................That is my opinion............route 9 north of Pburgh follows the lake as well and is beautiful also..........check out Ausable Chasm's website if you get the chance.........and Fort Ticonderoga.............

Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Although it might not fit your mode or reason to travel, the Amtrak train the "Adirondack" is very scenic passing the Hudson River and Lake Champlain. I've heard train buffs count it as the prettiest train route in the East, and we very much liked our trip over it a few years ago. Takes a long time to clear Customs though.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
I agree with plattsburgher as far as what to see in the Adirondacks. How much time do you have? Perhaps on the way back you could stray off I-87 over to Route 9 in the Hudson Valley; Rhinebeck, Hyde Park....lots of history through there. The Vanderbilt & Roosevelt mansions are a kick to visit...they have wonderful vistas high above the river - perfect for a picnic before you resume your trip.

The Culinary Institute of America is just down the road from them & has several dining options from reasonable $ to $$$. On a lark once, I tried to do NYC - Montreal via all secondary highways... just too long. Much easier on time & expense to pick a few spots along the way & get off 87 just for them.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
ki0eh, I'm a railfan and quickly found the "Adirondack". Another of us is stoked about it, so we'll almost certainly take that. We'll miss out some photo-stop opportunities and local visit opportunities. But we'll all three of us be able to relax and not work at driving.

(It's myself, born in Chicago and been in SoCal since 1980; my husband, who emigrated here in 1997; and our (step)daughter who lives in Bristol and will be visiting us for about two weeks.)

plattsburgher, I saw info about the 'Ausable Chasm'. Two of us three are also geology fans and that was sooooo tempting .... . And the fort - well, I'm using the excuse that two of us have also seen the fort re-enactors at Sutter Fort in Sacramento to console us for missing this out by taking the train (lame excuse, I know *shrug* ) Lake George ... boatloads of traffic ... no, thanks, we don't deal well with that.

peperspal, we don't have *enough* time! But your suggestions make me want to plan to go back there when we do have more time!

Thanks to all. Keep suggestions coming ...

:-D

Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Just took the train myself in April..........

we drove from here to Albany and then arrived rested and knowledgeable about what we wanted to see in NYC. The scenery is gorgeous and it is such a relaxing, interesting and least stressful way to travel right into Penn Station...

I didn't know that taking the train was a viable option for the writer but if you can go from NYC into Montreal and vice versa....................perfect! If you are anywhere near Saratoga from the end of July through the end of August take a 3 dollar grandstand ticket and check out the horses and hot dogs (Nathans) with your kids................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York