U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,896,632 times

Advertisements

Dealing with them was impossible. While a student I had summer work, doing painting and whatnot for a school district. There was a school being built and we went in to paint. The union guys doing the construction treated us like garbage because we weren't part of a union. Swearing at us. Literally wound not give us the time of day if we asked. Bunch of scumbags.
In my current job I dealt with the IRS union on several occasions. What a bunch of dirtbags. To get a simple question answered I had to go through three different people and all of this red tape.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,483,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Dealing with them was impossible. While a student I had summer work, doing painting and whatnot for a school district. There was a school being built and we went in to paint. The union guys doing the construction treated us like garbage because we weren't part of a union. Swearing at us. Literally wound not give us the time of day if we asked. Bunch of scumbags.
In my current job I dealt with the IRS union on several occasions. What a bunch of dirtbags. To get a simple question answered I had to go through three different people and all of this red tape.
With the UAW at least, you had to fill out a workorder just to change a lightbulb. And they would send TWO people. I couldn't believe the all time running joke could be true.... Even though the lightbulb is right there on the floor, you could not reach up and change it without someone filing a grievance on you. They would say you were taking someones job, with all of the people standing around, why are those people even there? I mean I would never want to see someone let go, but this is the type of thing driving costs through the roof.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM

10,462 posts, read 10,931,964 times
In my area if you wanted to go into a trade plumber, electrician etc you needed a dad and 6 uncles in the union just to get an apprentiship card. Without it you couldn't work.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,753,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
public employee unions are a cancer. The leaders and politicans that are in their pockets should all be hung. The public employee unions are partly to blame for our taxes and decline of the state. They take up budget room with insane benefits and unfair pay raises. In the private sector, do what you want. But when tax money is being spent on union propaganda, trying to sway budgets and elections, I get mad.
Thanks to the education unions, both administrative and teachers, we have a system where crappy teachers keep jobs over the good ones(a friend of mine was laid off today but apathetic teachers with tenure kept their jobs). The unions the administrators belong to rob the public blind. Why do we need so many administrators? When backed into a corner they threaten to cut teachers while keeping their usless high paid jobs.
I have to counter that if the state would end its addiction to consultant labor and just use the public employees it has, that would save a hell of a lot more money than cutting state employee salaries or benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or