Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,985,399 times

Advertisements

700 NYC teachers are paid to do nothing - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090622/ap_on_re_us/us_rubber_rooms - broken link)

This is exactly the type of thing the UAW used to do. If you were laid off, you received a pay check for the next year even though you were not working.

The mayor was on the radio the other day he gave the union one of two choices, either don't take raises this year, or we will have to cut jobs. Rochester lost 200 teachers, how does this benefit our children? I'm all for making good money, but at some point don't you say, maybe we have enough?

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,536,050 times
In general I support labor unions but this is just ridiculous. I understand that some of these teachers may be falsely accused but they need to put something in place where they have their hearings within 90 days or so, then get the bad ones out of the system & put the others back to work. Would it not be cheaper to hire more arbitrators to preside over these hearings than to pay a teacher their full salary for 5 years (in some cases) while waiting for their hearing?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 AM

I would have supported labor unions, when they were needed. Today we have things like OSHA, workers rights, equal opportunity etc. Especially today when we are in a recession, when everyone is loosing their jobs and taking pay cuts, the teachers unions still want the same benefits and raises? Companies and governments need to be able to grow and expand, wouldn't unemployment and a small severance pay be good enough?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:10 PM

107 posts, read 506,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
In general I support labor unions but this is just ridiculous. I understand that some of these teachers may be falsely accused but they need to put something in place where they have their hearings within 90 days or so, then get the bad ones out of the system & put the others back to work. Would it not be cheaper to hire more arbitrators to preside over these hearings than to pay a teacher their full salary for 5 years (in some cases) while waiting for their hearing?
Exactly.

It sounds like the hearing process is broken. Whose fault is it that there are only "23 arbitrators who work only five days a month?"

Hire more/full-time arbitrators. Give these teachers the hearing they deserve and get them back to their job or out of the system.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,695,542 times
public employee unions are a cancer. The leaders and politicans that are in their pockets should all be hung. The public employee unions are partly to blame for our taxes and decline of the state. They take up budget room with insane benefits and unfair pay raises. In the private sector, do what you want. But when tax money is being spent on union propaganda, trying to sway budgets and elections, I get mad.
Thanks to the education unions, both administrative and teachers, we have a system where crappy teachers keep jobs over the good ones(a friend of mine was laid off today but apathetic teachers with tenure kept their jobs). The unions the administrators belong to rob the public blind. Why do we need so many administrators? When backed into a corner they threaten to cut teachers while keeping their usless high paid jobs.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM

107 posts, read 506,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post

The mayor was on the radio the other day he gave the union one of two choices, either don't take raises this year, or we will have to cut jobs. Rochester lost 200 teachers, how does this benefit our children? I'm all for making good money, but at some point don't you say, maybe we have enough?

Comments?
Does that apply on April 15th as well? Say that out loud at your accountant's office and you'll go home wearing your tongue as a necktie.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
Does that apply on April 15th as well? Say that out loud at your accountant's office and you'll go home wearing your tongue as a necktie.
I do not know what accountant's make, I do not know their benefits, I do not know if there is a local union and I did not say that this applies to everyone. Isn't April their only busy time though? I am weighing the effects of the union on the state economy and the welfare of the students.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM

19,131 posts, read 16,957,052 times
I'm amazed, no shocked! That reviews could take so long and the accused is receiving full pay during this time. As written above 90 days is a fair window to review and dispose of the incident, if it takes longer than that then perhaps criminal charges need to be filed.

I am no fan of the union from my school days and I remember vividly teachers that should have been terminated but couldn't be due to the union.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,239,696 times
Another reason why the state of F-up!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 PM

585 posts, read 2,219,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I would have supported labor unions, when they were needed. Today we have things like OSHA, workers rights, equal opportunity etc. Especially today when we are in a recession, when everyone is loosing their jobs and taking pay cuts, the teachers unions still want the same benefits and raises? Companies and governments need to be able to grow and expand, wouldn't unemployment and a small severance pay be good enough?
Well said. I don't understand why unions are needed these days.

I recently moved to NY from out west and I'm shocked how so many aspects of this state is unionized. I was helping someone get a commercial building ready for rent and I was replacing ceiling tiles. The property manager joked about how I'd better keep a lookout for the ceiling tile union because I was stealing their work.

My wife, who worked for a tiny commercial development company north of Albany, told me about how these union guys came into the office...trying to be all intimidating about getting the first bid in on a big project in downtown Albany.

And then...I learned that state workers are unionized. WTF? Why do state workers need a freaking union? There are soooooo many layers in this state that just make it so easy for people to take advantage of tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: