Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 47,242 times

Advertisements

I went to Warwick in OC this weekend to view some house and found out many houses there have elevated levels of radon that require a special vent sysytem. Is this in all of OC and is it reason to be concerned about moving there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Yes. The area, as you probably saw, sits on a huge pile of granite. There are some large cavern areas underneath the county and Exxon back in the day tried to buy most of the ridge land in West Milford and Warwick because of its large uranium supplys. We are in a hot spot for radon, make no mistake. The EPA ranks Orange and the surrounding area as a, "red zone," meaning the average indoor radon screening level is greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter).

This does not mean that radon can't be controled by proper monitoring and venting. It most certainly can. Uranium is one the most common elements in the environment and properly monitored and addressed, it can be a non-issue in a modern home.

Here's the EPA zone map for New York:

Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Well shoot..this is annoying..when purchasing again, do you just get a seperate test for radon then?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 52,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Well shoot..this is annoying..when purchasing again, do you just get a seperate test for radon then?
Yes make the test a contingency AND if the radon level is above acceptable then the seller should remediate the situation or deduct the cost $1-2k from the cost of the house. Insure you pick the test company. Also - I have heard of some contractors/sellers who will move the radon traps to upper floors - these must be in the basement to be accurate. And they must be sitting for approximately 2 days.

I have an abatement system here in my NY house and had on in my house in Maine. They are very effective and unobtrusive.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
A friend of ours in carmel had radon and they put these fan "thingies" under their house..I guess it worked,but anything toxic scares the bejeezus out of me now.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 AM

14 posts, read 47,242 times
Default Thanks

Jason,

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: