Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 18,464 times

Advertisements

Our young family is looking to buy property in Wappingers Falls and are very concerned with surrounding apartment/housing communities in the immediate neighborhood. We are concerned that this would impact the property value and seems to be a strong deterrent from making the purchase. Pls advise on whether this is a problem or something we should in fact be concerned about.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times
I personally won't buy near a apartment community in Wappingers. You don't say which one you'd be near. A couple of them have a high illegal population and unfortunately some of the residents have made the Southern Dutchess Police reports. With prices dropping around the area-there are plenty of homes with prices that are under 300,000. Take a look here at the MLS for the Wappingers area-gives you a good idea of what's out there. National Real Estate United States Homes For Sale - HomeSeekers.com (http://homeseekers.cyberhomes.com/Scripts/list.asp - broken link)

Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi 'CampingMom',

Thank you very kindly for your reply. The community homes are along the MacFarland Rd stretch. Do you have specific feedbck on these communities. It's difficult to find specific info that zooms in on these things....so your feedback is especially helpful.

Thank you in advance for the link. I was able to peer in more on the community' demographics which we found to be quite helpful. Please advise further if you can regarding the above.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 PM

That would be White Gate Condos and the Pavillion over there. Years ago White Gates were apartments and converted to condos-a lot of them are rentals. I have a friend with a home on the road and complains about speeders trying to cut off the light to get to Old Hopewell. My SIL lived in White Gate about 20 years ago, it was so so back then. The Pavillion became famous when Tawana Brawley lived there and it had a heck of a reputation for a while. Don't know much about it anymore.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Thank you for your well informed feedback. You've given us a lot to continue in our research.

All the best.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 AM

3 posts, read 12,487 times
I was wondering about that - White gate - is it a high crime one at the moment, or just ok. Would it be good for someone who wasn't there all year, but as a place to have instead of a hotel room?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Not so much crime-but not one I'd be comfortable living in. The area there has changed quite a bit from what it had been. There's other places in Wappingers I'd look into first or even in the Fishkill area there a a few new apartments that have been built recently. Merrit Park down off Merrit Blvd is new, there's a brand new one offering a discount for 2 months rent I drove by yesterday off Rt. 52 just beyond the town hall.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,487 times
wow - really getting built up! We moved overseas, and this year should be finished paying off the moving expenses. Kids are growing up and I know that they may want to go back. Oldest in college now. Was thinking of in the next 12 months investing in an apt, but not an expensive one. Just to have. What is the going rate on maintenance etc in these places? What about the property taxes on the apartments? Lived in Edgehill Manor for 10 years.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM

33 posts, read 105,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
That would be White Gate Condos and the Pavillion over there. Years ago White Gates were apartments and converted to condos-a lot of them are rentals. I have a friend with a home on the road and complains about speeders trying to cut off the light to get to Old Hopewell. My SIL lived in White Gate about 20 years ago, it was so so back then. The Pavillion became famous when Tawana Brawley lived there and it had a heck of a reputation for a while. Don't know much about it anymore.
Tawana Brawley did not live there. She set her self up as being dumped there but she did not live there (I want to say she lived in White Gate but I can't swear to that). I lived in Pavillion (they were condos at the time and White Gate was apartments) at the time. At that time me and all the other kids I knew were not allowed to go over into White Gate and were told it was bad but I don't know how much was true and how much was rumor since I was so young at the time (this was the mid eighties I believe). I've been out of the area for a long time so I can't say how either complex is now.

I also don't believe that it had a reputation at the time. Everything I heard was that she put herself there since it was a nicer complex and had a very white population at the time since she was setting it up as a racist attack. It may be horrible now, I have no idea.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh522 View Post
Tawana Brawley did not live there. She set her self up as being dumped there but she did not live there (I want to say she lived in White Gate but I can't swear to that). I lived in Pavillion (they were condos at the time and White Gate was apartments) at the time. At that time me and all the other kids I knew were not allowed to go over into White Gate and were told it was bad but I don't know how much was true and how much was rumor since I was so young at the time (this was the mid eighties I believe). I've been out of the area for a long time so I can't say how either complex is now.

I also don't believe that it had a reputation at the time. Everything I heard was that she put herself there since it was a nicer complex and had a very white population at the time since she was setting it up as a racist attack. It may be horrible now, I have no idea.
She did live at the Pavillion. I drove her on the school bus at the time. White Gates had a rough crowd of teens living there for a while-the Pavillion like you said were more middle class and since they were newer, it attracted and different ilk. White Gates converted over to Condos, but a lot of them are rented out now. People who bought them found they had a hard time selling them and had to rent them because they were stuck with them when there was a glut here on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York