Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 AM

192 posts, read 594,910 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

Just got back from my second trip to upstate, and this time I drove in from Wisconsin, following the Southern Tier Highway and then branching off at Bath to get to Trumansburg.

I've fallen so in love with the area and my genealogical research there that I've started working on a novel set there. In trying to set the stage, I'm doing as much research on the area as I can.

I noticed on the highway a specific type of wildflower that appears to clump in variegated shades of white, lavender, and deeper lavender/purple. Can't seem to find it through internet searches. Anyone know what they are?

Thanks!
cc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I don't know of any summer flower with that range of colors but here are some common roadside wildflower/weeds of upstate NY:

Chicory (this is a tall, light blue to pale lavender blossom)
Queen Anne's Lace (white, tall)
Sweet pea (fuchsia or bright pink)
Purple loosestrife (fuchsia or purplish spikes - strong color)
Crown vetch (pink to light pink)
Cow vetch (medium purple, climbs on fences)
Black eyed susan (bright yellow)
Day lilies (orange)
Birdsfoot trefoil (a low-growing yellow flower that seems very common this summer)

How tall is your flower? That might offer a clue.

I particularly love the chicory blooms although they are considered common weeds. With the Queen Anne's lace (they are often seen together) they make a lovely cloud of blue and white along the roads:

Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 AM

Thanks Jeromeville, I appreciate these suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them seem to look like those I saw.

These were very low growing, and as I said, they grew in masses of clumps, going from white to lavender to magenta in the clump. Anyone driving on 86 now who knows what I'm talking about, let me know.

Hmmmm...

Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Perhaps purple crownvetch: purple crownvetch, Invasive Plants of the Eastern United States

Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM

107 posts, read 507,356 times
Dame's Rocket?

I've seen it from white to purple to practically blue.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Cha Ching: Maybe you saw masses of wild sweet pea? They are creeping/climbing and are variegated white to magenta. As the flowers grow older, they fade to a light purplish color.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Cha Ching: Maybe you saw masses of wild sweet pea? They are creeping/climbing and are variegated white to magenta. As the flowers grow older, they fade to a light purplish color.

Jerome--

Think that might be it! Still a little tall, but it was probably just my perspective from the highway, and they were taller than I remember. Thanks for that!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Anyone who is not from the area:

For the sake of others who are not from here and "like" the plants., do your area a favor and check them out if you can't resist a sample to take home....

Do not take loosetrife away to plant it. The stuff has huge rock hard roots and is invasive and clogs the waterways, ponds, streams, damp ares. Almost impossible to get rid of. A neighbor broke blades plowing his field where it was in damp areas when it first came here.

The invasive crownvetch will mess with any planting you have ( bushes, etc). It will even come up thru industrial weed block . This, you can yank out -- but daily or it will take over. [I got that is top grade topsoil.] Try pulling it out a a barberry hedge.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 880 times
Wild Phlox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York