U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,805 times

Advertisements

The Bronx is NYC, ALONG WITH BROOKLYN, QUEENS, MANHATTAN, ETC....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,796,010 times
Go to Jamestown in summer. It sure isn't dead then.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM

199 posts, read 373,023 times
Jamestown.. full of potential, with a beautiful downtown and stately homes, the industrial sector may be in need of tenants but the buildings aren't collapsing wholesale. You really do have a great opportunity moving forward to be a bit more.

I've worked with a few agencies in Jamestown in the human services sector, the education level of employees is really high and the staff I've spoken with tend to like the area. While large industry won't be back for at least another decade perhaps, I think smaller employee-owned and operated businesses are the model moving forward. They keep costs down, there is no corporate profit sent elsewhere - they're just difficult to transition to since employees don't have the necessary capital. The poster who compared Jamestown to Elmira or Williamstown, PA seemed about right - the city isn't dead, it just operates on a smaller scale.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM

970 posts, read 1,747,976 times
That's an excellent snapshot of Jamestown. I happen to work for a startup mfg. in Jamestown, leasing part of an old brick foundry. There are loads of vacant industrial buildings, many brick, but most are in poor shape and require a lot of improvements. But, it is still better than building new. It is also difficult finding good and skilled workers... this is a problem shared by many in town.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM

9,093 posts, read 17,208,312 times
Go Jammers!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,326 times
Default From a former Jamestown Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Jamestown has a lot going for it so why is the economy so bad there? It has a relatively good sized population, a beautiful lake, an interstate, proximity to larger cities in the North East and is surrounded by an extremely beautiful countryside. But then you look at the economy you find that their are hardly any jobs or businesses.

Why do you think this is?
It's not Jamestown,at all.Its all political and it is a sad situation because Jamestown, really is surrounded by its natural beauty.I left there years ago because I can't handle the cold on my bones.I haven't been home in 20 plus years I certainly miss it with my whole heart.I believe that Jamestown needs to bring in a stronger office of builders,to recruit ppl back to work so that our ppl can live a decent life,that we deserve.Go to the city hall and talk to officials I would picket a job fair for equal rights.New jobs new plants restore the old ones in Falconer,and the surrounding areas.If I were home that is exactly what I would do.I reside In San Diego California, now and If my body could handle the cold I would be home.Blessings to you and good luck with standing up to our officials who need a strong mouth to speak out.From Gay Garris

Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,846,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
Jamestown.. full of potential, with a beautiful downtown and stately homes, the industrial sector may be in need of tenants but the buildings aren't collapsing wholesale. You really do have a great opportunity moving forward to be a bit more.

I've worked with a few agencies in Jamestown in the human services sector, the education level of employees is really high and the staff I've spoken with tend to like the area. While large industry won't be back for at least another decade perhaps, I think smaller employee-owned and operated businesses are the model moving forward. They keep costs down, there is no corporate profit sent elsewhere - they're just difficult to transition to since employees don't have the necessary capital. The poster who compared Jamestown to Elmira or Williamstown, PA seemed about right - the city isn't dead, it just operates on a smaller scale.
Very well said. I think the future of small cities like Jamestown or Elmira and others throughout NYS and the US is to bank small local/regional businesses rather than wasting resources attempting to lure large corporate facilities to them. I've been reading some material on the decline of Buffalo's economy in the 20th century, and it seems that a significant portion of the city's industrial decline can be ascribed to the change in the ownership from local to national and multinational. I think that can be true all over Upstate New York and even throughout the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
That's an excellent snapshot of Jamestown. I happen to work for a startup mfg. in Jamestown, leasing part of an old brick foundry. There are loads of vacant industrial buildings, many brick, but most are in poor shape and require a lot of improvements. But, it is still better than building new. It is also difficult finding good and skilled workers... this is a problem shared by many in town.
It's surprising how many people who claim they want to work cannot pass a drug test or can't regularly get their butts to work on time if they do get a decent job.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
my family and i (husband and 3 kids) are thinking about relocating in NY and have found beautiful homes that are loaded with updates and seem like a steal price-wise in Jamestown....with that said ive been researching the schools and city in general. it seems as though the schools all have pretty low test scores all the way around. i know that there are many factors as to why they are low but would love to hear from some parents of children who attend ANY of the public schools around the city....i have a 16yr old going into 11th...a 9yr old going into 3rd and also a 3yr old who will attend preschool this fall....

also...wondering about the average utility costs as well....most of the homes we've looked at are older but beautiful Victorians/colonials with 4+ bdrms built anywhere between 1880-1930s assuming there isn't any updating as far as insulation goes can anyone share their average costs with me? my husband is an otr truck driver so we have the ability to move where ever but like i said we've fallen in love with some of the homes we have found.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,890 times
Post Unemployment in Jamestown is NOT 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
What a bizarre turn this conversation has taken, that I would like to steer clear of.
Jamestown is struggling, mostly, in my opinion, because much of the industry has left that provided solid incomes to large groups of workers. The shells of industry are everywhere, still standing testaments that there used to be alot being created and made here, mainly to be replaced with government and social welfare & services industries that are selective in their hiring practices and leave alot of the population without real income-earning potential. Add to this the bizarre state hiring mandates, and terrible economy -straight from Chautauqua Works, 70% of the male population of Jamestown is out of work with no real prospects. These are big problems for Jamestown to overcome.
Here are the correct numbers in whole..

[mod]link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,890 times
Default LInk doest work, so here are the stats as of today

Jamestown, NY Unemployment Rate by Month
Moderate Unemployment Area
Jamestown, NY Current Unemployment - 5.8%
2015 Jamestown, NY Unemployment Rate
Month/Year Jamestown, NY% New-York% National %
1 / 2015 8.2% 6.5% 5.7%
2 / 2015 7.5% 6.4% 5.5%
3 / 2015 6.9% 5.8% 5.5%
4 / 2015 6.4% 5.5% 5.4%
5 / 2015 5.9% 5.3% 5.5%
6 / 2015 5.8% 5.3% 5.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York