U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 PM

17 posts, read 62,223 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I have been back and forth on where to move. We have an infant daughter and want to make sure she has access to good schools. We want to spend up to $275k for a home. We prefer a single family home or town house. I am considering Westchester, Orange, Putnam counties. Here are the specifics:

1) We need at least 3 bedrooms.
2) We will work in the Bronx and Manhattan. We prefer to use public transportation. However, we can drive if we must.
3) A Good school district is one of our top priorities.
4) Finally a safe environment.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I will greatly appreciate it. I am looking for specific city names. Areas we should definitely try to avoid.

I appreciate your input in my search!

Thanks a bunch!!!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,831,868 times
Question What Side Of Manhattan?

Commuting to and from the Bronx from any location will be a problem...for almost everything is set up for commuting to Manhattan...depending on what side of Manhattan you work on...E or W...Westchester/Putnam are set up for an easy commute into Grand Central Station...and Orange/Rockland for a commute into Penn Station or the GW Bridge bus terminal...

Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Status: "Getting by in the age of corona" (set 29 days ago)

9,753 posts, read 15,789,961 times
$275K will not get you a "home" here even if you live in a town/city with "poor" schools (i.e. Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, Peekskill, etc.......though I think in all three cases there are neighborhoods where you'll be fine for elementary school, just not beyond). Prices have not gone down that much here. If you are willing to commute from Putnam County (one county above Westchester), I am starting to see some very small homes or "fixer uppers" in the high 200s again being listed. I live in a very small 2br coop in Mt. Vernon with an 8 y.o. and 6 y.o. and am looking to possibly leave the entire area within the next 1-3 years due to high housing costs.

You "may" get a condo or more likely a coop apartment at or below that price, noting that you will have to pay some sort of common charge or maintenance fee in addition to your mortgage. (For example, my mortgage is just $550 month, but my maintenance is about $650/month, more than my mortgage.....condos usually have a smaller such charge than coops, but go for higher prices, so it's made up in your mortgage.....also with condos you directly pay the property tax like with a house, whereas in coops it is part of your maintenance fee). With coops (unlike condos), you have to get approved by the board first unless you're lucky enough to buy what is called a "sponsored apt." which is relatively rare but not impossible to find.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM

We actually found a number of homes in our price range in Warwick, new Windsor and Cornwall. Any input on schools, neighboorhoods, and commuting from thee areas.

Also rusty78, how long is the commute to the gw from orange county?

Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,831,868 times
Exclamation About An Hour!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving for Baby View Post
We actually found a number of homes in our price range in Warwick, new Windsor and Cornwall. Any input on schools, neighboorhoods, and commuting from thee areas.

Thanks
The commute on the express bus to Penn Station is 45 minutes to an hour or more...depending upon time of day...traffic...road conditions...etc... and of course you have to remember that bus service stops somewhere around 12PM...so you could end up stuck in Manhattan over night if you do not get out in time......the trip to GW Bridge would be about 15 minutes less...but bus service is not as frequent to the GW Bridge...

Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 PM

That's not too bad. What parts of orange county do you recommend?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,533,634 times
Since you're looking at Orange County, I'll move this thread...

Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM

63,235 posts, read 88,740,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving for Baby View Post

Thanks
What about the Monroe-Woodbury area? It's the southernmost school district in Orange County and has quite a bit in the area.

Also, would places like Peekskill, Ossining or Dobbs Ferry have homes within that price range?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:46 AM

I have been reading that Peekskill schools are not that great. Is there any truth to that?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,205 times
There is a great neighborhood in wallkill nyfor 250k with 3 bdrms.
Woodside Knolls at Wallkill - New Single Family and Town Homes in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York