Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 18,113 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are beginning to see an end in sight to the cramped space, fast-paced, high cost of living in the city. We've lived in brooklyn for about 7 years and have definitely appreciated the ammenities the city has provided us and probably wouldn't thrive being completely in the sticks. I am also looking into opening up a hair salon around our new home of choice and need to live in a place where the residents would patronize a trendy salon. My husband is in the restaurant industry so good restaurants close by are a huge plus. Family is in the future also so other young families in the community would be nice. I grew up in the catskills, so I am familiar with some upstate towns but am very curious about any great gems I haven't been to yet. We are open to Hudson Valley, Connecticut and Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about some Westchester communities like Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Eastchester, Tuckahoe and Irvington? Maybe a place like Nyack would do too. White Plains seems to be an up and coming city in Westchester too.

Some places further up like Monroe, Cornwall, Warwick, Kingston, New Paltz and Saugerties might be places to consider. Hudson, which is even further up, is a community with a nice and historic Downtown.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I'd go north of Westchester (which is too expensive and suburban). Hudson is a great little town. Lots of antique shops and quite a few good restaurants. Also try Rhinebeck, Red Hook and Woodstock.

The Hudson Valley is crammed with ex-Brooklynites. You'd be right at home. CT can be expensive and northern PA is not as sophisticated. There might not be a market for a trendy hair salon.

You could also try the Berkshires in MA. Someplace like Lennox.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 PM

If you are willing to go to some Foothills communities close to the Catskills, Oneonta or Sidney could work too. How far Upstate are you willing to go? You might places like Cooperstown, Cobleskill, Hamilton, Glens Falls, Monticello, Liberty, Livington Manor or Chatham.
Here's info. on Cooperstown and Hamilton, which are the closest communities to me: http://www.cooperstownchamber.org/ , http://www.thisiscooperstown.com/ , http://www.cooperstown.com/

http://www.hamiltonny.com/ , http://www.hamiltonny.com/village.htm (broken link)

Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default Understanding the geography of "New Yawk"

eighthstarr, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "New Yawk".

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in "New Yawk".)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 PM

61 posts, read 79,168 times
Cooperstown and Oneonta might be good. Very nice towns. Cooperstown restaurants get lots of business from the tourists. Oneonta is a classy, wholesome, college town.

If you're looking for a real metro area with all the stores (including Wegman's), try Binghamton. The fancy suburb is Vestal, where the state university is. It's 4 hrs from NYC, all interstate.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
Cooperstown and Oneonta might be good. Very nice towns. Cooperstown restaurants get lots of business from the tourists. Oneonta is a classy, wholesome, college town.

If you're looking for a real metro area with all the stores (including Wegman's), try Binghamton. The fancy suburb is Vestal, where the state university is. It's 4 hrs from NYC, all interstate.
I thought about that too. It's a city that has some undercover benefits like being a very safe metro, good schools, enough to do for it's size and in a good location.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
Can someone help. I am a native new yorker from brooklyn but have lived in south carolina for the past twelve years. I moved to connecticut for six months but had to return to sc because it was just too expensive. i love the climate in sc but i am thinking about returning north. i want to live in a small town. i am middle class with a family and a career. i am a minority so i want to live in a nice area but don't to be targeted because of race. i am a catholic and practing my faith is important too. any ideas or suggestions, please?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoca View Post
Can someone help. I am a native new yorker from brooklyn but have lived in south carolina for the past twelve years. I moved to connecticut for six months but had to return to sc because it was just too expensive. i love the climate in sc but i am thinking about returning north. i want to live in a small town. i am middle class with a family and a career. i am a minority so i want to live in a nice area but don't to be targeted because of race. i am a catholic and practing my faith is important too. any ideas or suggestions, please?
You might like the Ithaca area. It's a smaller city, but diverse and cosmopolitan for it size. There are good schools in the area and quite a bit to do.

Some other smaller cities and towns you might like are: Geneva, Oneonta, Plattsburgh, Saratoga Springs, Corning, Cortland, Catskill, Watertown and many more. I think a lot comes down to what type of work you do or want to do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York