U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,788,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
He is correct about that being central, but I think there are much better places in Orange county. Maybe Goshen, Monroe, Maybrook....But just stay away from Newburgh. There are nicer parts, but its just not worth it to me.

Middletown is iffy, but there are some nicer parts towards Scotchtown and New Hampton.

Port Jervis is also a complete dump. I lived there and was very happy to move out. I could imagine what the city used to be maybe 25 years ago, but its almost like the residents and city don't care anymore.

Isn't that sad? Orange County was one of the last places I seriously looked at for commercial property before deciding that my interests would be better
served out of state. I was attracted to many of those struggling towns because of the price on commercial real estate; many of the towns I am
considering from Pennsylvania to Tennessee are also struggling. But I see a real desire in those other towns to find a rebirth.

Middletown, Newburgh.........such potential just goes wasted. Goshen though...now there is a town I would have loved to have gotten in on when I could
still afford to. Love that "main street, USA" feel it has. Gypsy, how much time will you actually have to visit before you settle in? There are so many spots,
and a difference of 2 or 3 miles can really make or break a community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 19,957 times
Thanks for everyone's responses but a week before my husband was to start they pulled the deal. No New York. After all this research I was really excited to live there. It sounded so beautiful and lively! Guess I know where our next vacation spot will be. Thanks to everyone!
signed
Disappointed

Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 AM

5,440 posts, read 16,173,669 times
What is Maybrook NY like?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM

540 posts, read 1,614,839 times
Aacole gave a good summary. Middletown is horrible. My ex used to drive from LaGrange to Middletown for work every day because we wanted to keep the kids in Arlington schools, where we had also graduated from. You will be hard pressed to find a better school district than Arlington, except for perhaps Spackenkill.

Ulster, Orange, Putnam (obviously Dutchess), and part of Westchester counties will be a breeze for him. He will learn to love/hate the Taconic Parkway. Remind him not to speed too much on it, the police love giving tickets, just ask my dad, who traveled from LaGrange to Westchester every day for 20 years lol. If you situate yourself, keeping the Taconic Parkway in mind, you and your family can be anywhere very quickly, even into NYC itself. You'll also be on the prettier side of the aformentioned counties, imo.

Stay away from: the CITY of Pougkeepsie (heavy heavy drugs), Beacon (same) & Newburgh.

The TOWN of Poughkeepsie is broken into different school districts, some go to Arlington, some go to Spackenkill. Spackenkill has generally higher priced homes (not always), but a superb school district, especially elementary.

As a person who was raised in LaGrange from 10 yrs old to 36, I wish I never left. I'm in SC now, and I really do NOT like it. 0 culture like I'm used to. You'll have a whole new world open to you with NYC a little over an hour from you. Huge museums, Chinatown, Bronx Zoo, shopping galore, Radio City Music Hall...you name it. 1 1/2 hours north you have Albany...more (smaller) museums (visit the state museum, the kids will LOVE it), great places to eat. Ok, I don't miss the snow or the cold winters.

Oh, and you MUST MUST MUST visit Adams Fairacre Farms on Rte 44 on the Town of Poughkeepsie/Pleasant Valley border. Huge farm style market, where the prices of fruits and veggies will keep you wondering why you paid such high prices in the SOUTH for such things (this still baffles my mind every time I go to the store).

Trust me...you'll love it there. I miss it terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York