U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 19,941 times

Advertisements

My husband is accepting a position in the Hudson River Valley area in New York. We currently live in North Carolina. We originally moved from Ohio to NC and I was stuck living in an area I disliked for 2.5 yrs. We just moved (about a month ago) to an area I love but we are relocating once again. I am so afraid of living in an area I dislike again. His territory will be Ultster, Sullivan, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, and Westchester counties. He would like to live somewhere central to all those locations. We have a daughter who will be starting second grade so schools are very important. I love culture and the arts so a cute town with lots to do would be ideal. But most important is safety and schools. We have two large dogs and we will be renting a home at first. We are not wealthy so a home under $2200 a month would be great. Any suggestions would be helpful. I feel pretty desperate for some info. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,785,705 times
I was just in Dutchess County last week and passed by a house for rent very close to where my friend lives. It is on Indian Pass Road in Hopewell Junction. I estimate it's about 2.5 miles from Beekman Elementary; which is in the Arlington School District ( I'm pretty sure - not positive). Arlington is a good district,
but really - read some of these threads; most of the schools in the areas you are looking at are very nice.

I hear people complain about Ulster/Kingston schools on these threads, but I don't know anyone who has kids there.
I love the area - all the counties you mentioned - the prices get lower the further up the valley you go.

I am trying to picture what agency had that rental on Indian Pass - sorry - I'm drawing a blank. A google search would probably help you.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Thank you so much for responding! I'm just happy to have any reference.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,724,175 times
If you need any help..you can PM..I have three kids..we only would choose arlington (and did).. you can see some of my threads regarding dutchess county and arlington schools. My daughter is in elementry and its a sticking point for me. I have lived in dutchess since 98.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:16 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,897,192 times
the area you have to live in is very beautiful. Loaded with mountains, nice country, nice homes all different styles, beautiful little towns. You will be very happy! Tell us what do you know about the area, anything? What are you looking for, hip, quiet, main streets, shops, woods , country, suburban, what be more specific.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM

I like hip (that's a word I haven't used) but safe. I do have a family but I Love the art scene and especially LOVE the music scene. I would love to expose my kids to as much culture as possible without shocking them. My husband on the other hand loves a big yard and space for our two large dogs. I don't have to live in the middle of it all but a close drive would be great. Why whaddya know? I'd love to know more about the areas. Lately my husband has been searching near Fishkill??? I would love to hear your feedback!
Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,785,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsie mom View Post
I like hip (that's a word I haven't used) but safe. I do have a family but I Love the art scene and especially LOVE the music scene. I would love to expose my kids to as much culture as possible without shocking them. My husband on the other hand loves a big yard and space for our two large dogs. I don't have to live in the middle of it all but a close drive would be great. Why whaddya know? I'd love to know more about the areas. Lately my husband has been searching near Fishkill??? I would love to hear your feedback!
Thanks

IMO, you will be immersed in culture of every kind. I lived in Wappingers Falls & worked in Fishkill. I loved that area & still visit friends there often.
I have recommended this before, but it bears repeating: pick up a copy of Hudson Valley Magazine. Better yet - subscribe to it. You will be blown
away by all the things to do & see in the valley. One of the best things about that region of NY, is there are so many day trips you can take in any
direction. The magazine is wonderful for pointing out those types of attractions.

I'm planning on moving out of state in few years; every time I read posts about the Hudson Valley I start second-guessing my decision.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM

How about Hopewell Juntion? Know anything about that area? I can relate to what you say about loving your area and not wanting to move. I love the area we live in right now, but it's nice to hear that there are other areas I may love as well. Same for you! Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Sorry I forgot to ask about Washingtonville and Middletown? My husband seems to think these are central areas for his work. But it's not worth it if they are not good areas for a family to live. Thanks again everyone for your replies. They are such a great help!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM

171 posts, read 563,988 times
He is correct about that being central, but I think there are much better places in Orange county. Maybe Goshen, Monroe, Maybrook....But just stay away from Newburgh. There are nicer parts, but its just not worth it to me.

Middletown is iffy, but there are some nicer parts towards Scotchtown and New Hampton.

Port Jervis is also a complete dump. I lived there and was very happy to move out. I could imagine what the city used to be maybe 25 years ago, but its almost like the residents and city don't care anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York