Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 44,930 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

Me and the wife and the cocker spaniel are moving to the NYC area for my job in the next few months.

We're looking for a house that has a mid century modern look and feel. Something build in the 50's or 60's. Nothing colonial. Price range is 400 to 500 thousand.

We're not too picky about location as long as I can commute into the city on a train in an hour or so.

We're also having a baby so schools will become important in 5 years down the line, heh.

Does anyone have an advice on how to find a mid-cent. mod home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 AM

26 posts, read 228,387 times
Texnet wrote: Staton Island, Brookland, the Bronks, Manhatton, West Chester County and Queens

Well, with one of six locales cited correctly, would you trust someone from Texas when talking about New York?

Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
So much for one Texan's 'knowlege' of Staten Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan and Queens. Although he DID say he knew nothing about NYC, so he proved it! And I DO take advantage of the deregulation!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:20 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
You might want to find out more about Nyack, Tarrytown and towns south of Monroe - Suffren and Greenwood lake come to mind. I have not lived in any of those towns but have friends who work through there and I have been through them a few times so they might be worth a look.
Maps are decieving when planning a NYC commute so keep that in mind. As far as I know you must be south of Monroe if you plan to live on the western side of the Hudson and south of I would say Peekskill if you want to live on the eastern side of the river as a general rule. On the western side you have the Port Jervis line of the train which I have been told is agonizingly slow (my father refers to it as the twilight zone), or the bus which seems to have OK schedules. My father takes the bus from Monroe and his total commute from Walden to NYC is usually 1:30ish and Monroe is 30 minutes south of where he lives so I am using that as a general cut off point. On the eastern side of the Hudson you have the train which is pretty good and I am not sure about other options.

Some towns are pretty expensive property-wise but the prices have come down in the last couple of years so you may be moving in at a good time.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,561 times
Default New Yorker, born and bred...

Hi-
Try Hastings-on-Hudson. It's a beautiful town, and the schools are GREAT. It's about 35 minutes to Grand Central Station by train. I lived there during junior high and high school and it was fantastic. I think, though, that the houses might be priced high, and the school taxes may also be high because it was rated as having exceptionally good schools. But you can do that research.
I hear that the "Park Hill" section of Yonkers is having a Renaissance, and that is even closer than Hastings. Yonkers covers a large area and is in "transition". It got pretty depressed for a number of years, but I think it's being rediscovered.
If you can do a slightly longer commute, Beacon, which is about 90 minutes by train, also on the Hudson River, has gone through some BIG changes in the past couple of years. A large art museum, DIA, opened a new branch there and since then, the town (or is it a city?) has been on the upswing, becoming a major destination for people interested in the arts. Lots of housing restoration, etc.. Not sure about the mid-century homes there.
Mid-century homes are in demand and good ones are pretty hard to find, but they ARE around. I know that there are a number of them in Hastings, but whether they are available or affordable I can't say.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM

33 posts, read 83,596 times
Hi-mid century modern homes go for closer to 1 million-we have some really nice ones in Westchester. If you can go higher on your budget, I'd be happy to recommend-and they are alot coloser than an hour from mid town by train.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,087 times
Default shanapuppy | Mid Century modern close to NYC

Shanapuppy,

Can you recommend specific towns/neighborhoods?

I live in Queens, we are starting to look for a new home next year. The only home we want to buy is a mid-century modern place with a soul, that's in a good school district (we have an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old).

Thanks,

Greg

Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 AM

233 posts, read 753,421 times
Why has no one mentioned Long Island, is that the red headed step child of nyc?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
Why has no one mentioned Long Island, is that the red headed step child of nyc?
Maybe the posts on the LI board scared them away...

Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_midcenturymodern_greg View Post
Shanapuppy,

Can you recommend specific towns/neighborhoods?

I live in Queens, we are starting to look for a new home next year. The only home we want to buy is a mid-century modern place with a soul, that's in a good school district (we have an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old).

Thanks,

Greg

For you and the OP you could look into New Windsor/ Cornwall border distict. I am not going to try to tell you about Newburgh schools because everything I say will be torn down. But I will say compared tk the Monroe, Washingtonville and Cornwall central high schools, Newburgh free academy is one of he most looked at school because it carries almost all AP courses in addition to over 200 electives as well as a salon, autobody shop, kitchen and fashion studio

Anyway that being said if you move somewhere past Riley Rd, on route 94 in new Windsor you will be part of the Cornwall district which is good (taxes are really high though) you can also look into the town of Newburgh/ Montgomery district. As well as Monroe central schools (all nice towns )

However me being Spanish it was important for us to not be the only Spanish people in a neighborhood, which is why we avoided Cornwall and monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York