Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 38,851 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.. I'm flying out from Burlington to Ft.Lauderdale in order to save some money and have a few questions.

Option 1: I'm coming down from Montreal and have a choice to take the amtrak from Montreal to Plattsburgh $25 for both me and my 7 yr old. Travel time 3hrs. However I need to then get to Burlington and heard there is a ferry that crosses over. Additional expenses for cab fare isn't an issue but cleanliness and safety are my concerns.

or....

Option 2: Take the Greyhound $58 straight into Burlington. Travel time 4hrs.... has anyone taken the Greyhound? Is it safe? Clean? I've read mixed reviews on the Greyhound. I'm with my son and don't need to have any issues.

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
I noticed that the Amtrak has a seasonal stop at Port Kent, NY while the Burlington-Port Kent ferry is running. Amtrak - Routes - Northeast Lake Champlain Transportation That might be a better bet for convenience, since the Plattsburgh-Grand Isle ferry end points are way out yonder even though it's a shorter crossing that runs all year. (The "Plattsburgh" end of that ferry is several miles out of town.) My 6 yo thought it was fun to ride the boat when we were on it (on a nice day) last week.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,340 times
Post Issues one and two........

I honestly don't believe that the Greyhound around here is that dirty or awful just because so many of our college kids take it back and forth to NYC, however, I might want to check it out personally one day and see before going. You never know these days.........

My real concern if you are going to do this traveling method which can be done, but I would allow PLENTY of time for error.......I have heard of trains and buses being delayed at the border and then the ferry at Port Kent runs a very limited schedule even in the summer..........You would definitely get on (we have had to wait for the next ferry on one occasion due to too many cars and trucks and not enough room on boat) the ferry you want to ride because you will only have suitcases and not have a vehicle to take up extra room. The ferry ride is about an hour to Bton and then you can get a taxi which shouldn't be too bad. They used to call a taxi for you and have it waiting at the dock but now with cell phones, you can just get the number for Benway.....or whoever you want and they will take you to the airport......Also keep in mind that this time of year is very busy with tourists and students and there is more traffic, so I just worry that you won't allow enough time to have a nice relaxed time with your son...........Hope your flight is later in the day and you have time to do all of this. It will be fun for him. How are you doing the return? Same thing?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Thank you both for the great information. We're actually staying one night in Burlington and don't fly out until the following morning so we're really not pressed for time if we need to wait for another ferry or experience delays. The times are actually fairly close with only an hour from the amtrak drop off to the ferry pick up. I believe the Ferry is within walking distance from the Amtrak platform.

My greatest concern was sitting on the bus with either a less than desirable individual or several for that matter making the long ride even longer. I realize that can happen anywhere. After reading several other reviews and experiences on the Greyhound, a great point was brought up where you really can't stretch your legs much let alone get up and take a walk if needed. There are certain so called luxuries on the train... snack cart, more comfortable seats, less cramped environment, outlets and better scenery. We actually took the train from Montreal to Ottawa last week and just couldn't believe how incredible the experience was.

Thank you both for the wonderful information and assistance... I will recap our experience once we're on the other side :-)

Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Post Great!

If you ever get the opportunity to take Amtrak from Montreal into NYC........do it! It offers the most spectacular scenery ever.............you see all along the Hudson and even pass West Point and all the little towns like Croton-on-Hudson and you pass by 'SingSing' (Ossinning?????) prison. Many little town stops on the way......in the ADKs and just a real old-fashioned train feel until you get into the high-rises of upper Manhattan/Harlem and get to Penn Station. I took it down one Thanksgiving to meet my sis and it was so easy...................and cool. Once the door closed on the Amtrak on the way back up here, it was like entering another world. I wish train travel would come back again................in a big way! Sooooooo much more civilized right now than airports........I used to love to fly, but not now! Have a wonderful relaxing vacation with your son!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Thank you to all who took the time to offer your input. Here's the end result and may surprise many of you. :-)

Decided on Amtrak after reading some last minute reviews. Realizing there may be delays in either transportation method, I went with Amtrak. Here are some interesting details.

Greyhound One Way from Montreal to Burlington: $58 for me and my son (7yr old)
Amtrak One Way from Montreal to Port Kent NY (just south of Plattsburgh) $33 total!!!

WiFi -
Greyhound No
Amtrak Yes ( I used my aircard )

Food/Snacks-
Greyhound No
Amtrak Yes (wide selection, from breakfast sandwiches, burgers, hotdogs, coffee, juice, sodas etc...) very reasonable cost wise. I got a bagel w'cream cheese, coffee, juice, breakfast sand for $6 and change.

On the amtrak you're allowed to walk about the train and stretch your legs without having to feel caged. Several bathrooms to choose from incase one was not available or just simply inoperable.
Large windows allowed for some beautiful scenery and incredible pictures.

There were some individuals that spent much longer with the custom agents who boarded the train thus creating a slightly longer delay than what the amtrak crew was used to. 1 hour is the norm, this one took 1.5hrs. No big deal, as the seats were comfy and very roomy.

The Port Kent station is an unmanned platform and only 100 yards away from the Port Kent Ferry.
The ferry every hour or so and only cost $7 for the two of us. There's a small local beach on-site at the ferry station where many locals visit along with a small restaurant and souvenir shop to pass some time while waiting the ferry.

The ride over to Burlington was short of an hour but a relaxing and breathtaking ride over. Mountains, sailboats and beautiful weather was an added bonus.

Took a cab from the other side to the hotel, $11. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and would highly recommend it to anyone. It took us less than 5hours in travel time but had was a nice journey to spend with my 7 yr old.

Burlington airport was only 10 mins from the hotel and another $14 in cab fare but I saved over $400 if I had flown directly from Montreal. Allegiant air does fly from Plattsburgh but the rate for the day I needed was too expensive.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time and contributed to this post.

P.S... I'm currently typing this from 26,000 feet on AirTran and their new GoGo Inflight WiFi service.
$9.00 charge unlimited surfing.

Cheers everyone!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 AM

Post Wow.

Thanks for sharing all the information.

You were extremely lucky in that you had a non-rainy day..........I supposed Montreal has had more than its share of clouds/rain this summer as well, so you know just how lucky you were!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York