Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,741 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to the area soon and wonder if I'll have to have my own car. I'd rather walk or ride my bike and use mass transit and perhaps Ithaca Carshare when it is cold.

How is the mass transit there? Clean, on time, etc? What are the bus stop/shelters like? Maintained, well lit, etc? Is it biker friendly? I noticed that there's no bikeshare program. Are there bike lanes?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
As far as I know TCAT is pretty good and I believe that you can get around easily with a bike. It's a very walkable city too.
Home : TCAT Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit
Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance
Welcome to the Bike Rack of Collegetown!
Bike &Walk Ithaca

Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,794 times
How the bus system works for you will largely depend on where you live and where you're going.

First off, if you're an undergrad, don't bother with a car--it's a royal pain to keep on campus and 98% of what you need will be immediately to hand.

If you'll be living near CU or downtown, and/or if you plan to be working near CU or downtown, being carfree is very doable. For a town of its size, the Ithaca bus system is excellent. The buses are very reliable, clean, and well-used. Most stops do not have bus shelters, but those that do are clean and in decent shape, though occasionally a map or time schedule gets ripped or falls down and is not replaced for a long time, so knowing routes is important. I don't drive (though I have access to a car via my SO) and I rarely hurt for it. I know several other carfree people who live in town. Cycling in town is a bit funny--the culture of the town is very bike-friendly, the geography much less so. The buses have space for two bikes in the front, and if your plan is to ride downtown and bus back up, you may not get a space on the bike rack because lots of other people have the same idea.

However, if you plan to live and work near IC, or more than a few blocks from the downtown area, the bus schedule can be tricky, particularly if you want bus access at a time that is not between 9 and 6 M-F. Because the town is relatively small, the walkable urban-like area is also quite small, so some places that look close to town are very rural, without sidewalks, etc. It really depends.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,741 times
Thanks for the info and the links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: