U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM

1,283 posts, read 3,144,816 times

Advertisements

Was recently in the Norwich area and was curious about this town. The downtown area looked surprisingly busy and well kept. What is the job situation like there? major employers? I have a cousin who is thinking of moving back north and is looking for recommendations for small towns in upstate NY and this one looked nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 PM

63,351 posts, read 88,836,797 times
Well, it did have a big Proctor and Gamble operation there, but now they have Norwich Pharmaceuticals: Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturer | Pharmaceutical Outsourcing Provider | Rx and OTC Clinical Trial Support | Solid Dose Manufacturing | Norwich Pharmaceuticals NBT Bank is another place to look: NBT Bank - Reach for your Star! (http://www.nbtbank.com/about_careers.html - broken link) Chenango Memorial Hospital also might be a place to look as well: https://secure.uhs.net/uhsjobs/search.asp Here's more jobs within 25 miles of Norwich: Norwich, NY 13815 Jobs | Indeed.com

It is a nice, neat city of about 8,000 or so. It did have around 10,000 people in 1970. So, they have felt the loss of people as well.

Here's more on the area: Norwich New York
The Evening Sun | Chenango County, NY's Hometown Newspaper
Chenango County Chamber of Commerce
Norwich (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Norwich City School District
Chenango County

Are there any other similarly sized cities that you want to know about as well?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM

4,264 posts, read 10,257,947 times
I went on a hike near there a couple of weeks ago with http://www.bullthistlehiking.org/ Since there were a few pre-retirement folks on the hike I asked what they did. One grew up in the area and got sick of living in Boston so he works for a group home and as a wedding photographer (was a commercial/advertising photographer before). Another worked at an aerospace company affiliated with GE.

There are three small-town history/auto museums I noticed in town on Rt 23 just east of Rt 12 that might be worth a stop for connoisseurs of such things.

NBT must have gotten bigger in my time away from upstate NY, at another point in our summer's travels we stayed near Wolf Road in Albany area and noticed a big NBT building in that area.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,615 times
Chenango is a beautiful county if you have money to live on.
P&G is moving out and many are being left behind to find jobs. Other companies are cutting back. Many companies in the area are outsourcing. Those with educations cannot find jobs. Those without education can find jobs with low pay and no benefits. Taxes kill you, especially in the city. The only people making money are those who have it already and invest wisely in the market.
But at CDO Workforce (The people trying to help others find jobs) business is booming. They give a lot of people good advice, but there are no jobs. Especially no jobs that pay. Unless you have an income you can count on, I would not move here. It isn't cheap and the good paying jobs are almost gone. (Those that are here are taken.)

On the other hand, the area is beautiful. There is a lot of state land for hiking and snowmobiling. There are several ski areas nearby. There is a large selection of churches. We have a small local hospital with options of going to big hospitals in Syracuse, Bnghamton, and Cooperstown. There are music and art festivals. There are several organizations dedicated to bringing the arts to the community: Chenango County Council of the Arts, Monday Evening Music Club, The Blues Fest and the Bluegrass festival, Colorscape Chenango, the Pumpkinfest where there are thousands of carved and/or painted pumpkins on display plus a lot of fun activities, There is the car museum, two garden clubs, great Italian food, and plenty of empty buildings where you can get your new enterprise started.

PS There is big controversy about drilling for gas and what it will do to our water supply, etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM

63,351 posts, read 88,836,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsearch607 View Post
Chenango is a beautiful county if you have money to live on.
P&G is moving out and many are being left behind to find jobs. Other companies are cutting back. Many companies in the area are outsourcing. Those with educations cannot find jobs. Those without education can find jobs with low pay and no benefits. Taxes kill you, especially in the city. The only people making money are those who have it already and invest wisely in the market.
But at CDO Workforce (The people trying to help others find jobs) business is booming. They give a lot of people good advice, but there are no jobs. Especially no jobs that pay. Unless you have an income you can count on, I would not move here. It isn't cheap and the good paying jobs are almost gone. (Those that are here are taken.)

On the other hand, the area is beautiful. There is a lot of state land for hiking and snowmobiling. There are several ski areas nearby. There is a large selection of churches. We have a small local hospital with options of going to big hospitals in Syracuse, Bnghamton, and Cooperstown. There are music and art festivals. There are several organizations dedicated to bringing the arts to the community: Chenango County Council of the Arts, Monday Evening Music Club, The Blues Fest and the Bluegrass festival, Colorscape Chenango, the Pumpkinfest where there are thousands of carved and/or painted pumpkins on display plus a lot of fun activities, There is the car museum, two garden clubs, great Italian food, and plenty of empty buildings where you can get your new enterprise started.

PS There is big controversy about drilling for gas and what it will do to our water supply, etc.
Here's some examples of jobs in the area or vicinity: Jobs in Norwich, NY 13815 | Indeed.com

https://secure.uhs.net/uhsjobs/search.asp

Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,615 times
Thanks for the link! However, please note some of the interesting features.

There are an awful lot of postings that look great, then you see they are all from HomeCallCenterJobs.com Yeah. Right. These are the vast majority of the jobs.

Online Text Chat Operator $0.25 per chat. (Listed twice) Can you make a living on that? I'm not sure if it would even pay for the required telephone and internet access.

The Census is looking for people in Lincklaen... Pretty far out, as are many of the others.

Now go down to the Department of Labor and find out how many people are competing fo these jobs. If you are good, you may get an interview, but there are also half a dozen others at least as well qualified as you are. Companies are now looking for top notch people who are overqualified, and who can be bought for a song. And if you are lucky enough to find one of these jobs, you should take it because there si no alternative.

On the other hand, if you have a healthcare background things look pretty good. There are openings for a dentist, a PT, a PA, Nurse Practitioner, Med Lab Tech, Occupational Therapist Assistant, Program Development Coordinator (requires a Nurse Practitioner) among others. I have no idea how the salaries compare.

I still believe, with few exceptions, that you need to bring money with you if you want to live in this area.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-19-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: No links/recommendations for posters with fewer than 10 posts.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 9,201 times
I grew up in Chenango County, and as mentioned, it is absolutely beautiful. But the job situation is very bleak. I graduated college in 2007 and couldn't find anything before I moved to FL. But if you can find a decent job, it's not a bad place to live, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York