Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 13,809 times

Advertisements

I hunt in northwestern Pennsylvania. I have seen bobcats while hunting and am familiar with their size, colorations, and tails. I also frequent the Lake Chautauqua New York area and observed a Mountain Lion on a golf course East of the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,660 times
I just came across this post which is about 6 months old but indisputable that it is a mountain lion on the PA boarder town Dingmans Ferry.

I was looking because of the report of one here in my nj neighborhood manalapan nj.

Mountain Lion caught on camera in Dingmans Ferry Pa. last week! | NJ.com
Attached Thumbnails
Any Mountain Lion or Bob Cat Sightings?-mountain-lion-dingmans-pa.jpg  

Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,951 times
Indisputable? Pics are no longer good proof. If you look at the comments and at the link in the comments, you'll see a lot of indications that this is a hoax and the pic originated in Texas... which seems more likely.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,660 times
I agree, I was trying to say it was a mountain lion not were it was located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Indisputable? Pics are no longer good proof. If you look at the comments and at the link in the comments, you'll see a lot of indications that this is a hoax and the pic originated in Texas... which seems more likely.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 13,410 times
I was deer hunting in the southern part of the catskill mountain area in NY about three years ago ( 2007), late November. I was sitting on a rock enjoying the afternoon sun when i looked to my right and approx. 20 yards from me was a bobcat walking past. It was approx the size of a medium dog. It looked at me as i looked at him, kind of a mutual respect thing. It never broke stride and walked away. Beautiful animal..
Although Ive never seen one, mountain lions have also been spotted in this area.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM

158 posts, read 523,643 times
I just speaking with some people today in the Adirondacks that swear they just found Cougar track near Old Forge, NY. I can't imagine why not?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 11,998 times
I am a 60 yr old retired PD sergeant and avid outdoorsman. In the mid 1990's I found large cat tracks on my 72 acres up in Delaware County, NY. I measured them and they were too big to be lynx. I looked them up in reference books. Bobcats make much smaller tracks.
I then was having the property logged and the tree scientist walked the property with me. He asked if I carried a sidearm (yes), and he said it was because he was stalked in the general area by a mountain lion two months prior. He was truly rattled by this occurance.
A day later my 11 year old son and I then drove over to a local friend's house to ask him if he ever saw big cats. He replied that he had to "shoot near a large black mountain lion to scare it away from his 5 beef cows" that he raised. It was that very trip and while driving back home (about 5 miles), that a beautiful tan mountain lion ran right across the road in front of us. My son was as exited as I was! I remember the beautiful sleek lines and big fat, long tail trailing out behind it. We never saw another one again.
I did call NY Fish & Game and reported it. I then had the opportunity to talk to a NY State Fish & Game Ranger some time later and he said that NY State had re-introduced "a few mountains lions up in the Adirondacks, yet they are migrating down to this area". He said that NY kept it quiet and realized that it may have not been such a good idea.
So, a large black cat may not be so far fetched and anyone who states above that it was probably something else, is simply wrong and doing a disservice to local residents.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,002 times
Funny this thread popping back up to the top- just saw a very large bobcat this weekend (NW Delaware Co.)- first I've seen in about 3 years. Was in some tall grass watching me- at first I thought it was just some brown leaves/stalks that looked like a cat's face. Started walking toward it to be sure and it stood up- didn't seem too afraid, just sauntered away, looking back at me over its shoulder a couple times.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,860 times
It's almost certain that the famous far-ranging South Dakota mountain lion - the one who was hit by a car in Connecticut last year - traveled down from Canada through the Adirondacks.

So there has been at least one mountain lion in NY.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times
My last post was deleted. This one is short. I have seen three lions. One in Cadyville NY, 25 ' in front of me, as tall as my 88# golden retriever and half again as long. One at Point Au Roche just north of Plattsburgh,NY, smaller and all black, my estimate about 60#s. Confirmed about two weeks later, Border Patrol said they photographed a panther, on a fixed camera. One large black cat cross a highway in NJ around 1985.
Also my parents told stories of seeing a cat with three kittens around Cambridge NY in the late 70s.
My X father in law told a story of his wife having a panther stalk her as she left an outhouse in Clintonville NY. She confirmed the story. He told DEC he was going to shoot the cat. They asked him not to and stated NY had let 6 pairs loose in the Adirondack Park a few years prior. This was somewhere around 1990.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York