Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 13,944 times

Advertisements

Looking to settle, for a decade or so..

Has to be a small town, less than 5,000 people.. With in 50 miles of Corning.. I'd prefer it to have no interstates, no rivers; no dams above it and no major flood issues. It would be nice if it had a volunteer ambulance service.. as I'm an EMT, and that's all I've ever done is volunteer.. Going to Corning College..

I have no high expectations.. Just don't like busy towns, highways and floods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:55 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
How about Caton? No highway there, no reason to drive through unless that's where you're going.

I would have suggested Addison, a bit more of an actual town off the highway but not too far out, but that's on the mighty (and actually leveed through town) Canisteo River.

I'm also wondering about planning a decade to go through a two-year school.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I don't know about floods, as that area has had some major floods in the past, but I'm sure there are some places better than others. You might likie places like Odessa, Montour Falls, Hammondsport, Jasper and Elkland PA.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know about floods, as that area has had some major floods in the past
...which is why there are three large dams above Corning, one of the more flood prone areas in the state.

Here's an interesting site with coverage of one aspect of that event: Corning Museum of Glass - Kids and Teens Free! (19 and under)

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
it's hard to escape the potential for flooding in the area - just be smart about where you buy

between the melting of the snow and spring rains things can get pretty muddy and flood

there are a ton of small towns in the area though -

most of the towns that have population are either along the chemung, canisteo (like addison & cameron) or conhocton (campbell, savona, kanona, avoca) rivers ....... it's just the way places settled, rivers were important to living so that is where you have populations and little towns

there are smaller towns between towns that could be of interest

bradford is pretty remote and doesn't have any major rivers that go through it

also small communities like tyrone, meads creek, monteray

now that I think of it look towards jasper, troupsburg or greenwood

however, i'd be more worried about getting up spencer hill in the winter than dealing with any major flooding ....... just really look into the actual plot of land you settle on

there were some places back there that would seemingly flood over every year and the spot next to it and across the road would be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York