Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 20,590 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I am considering an offer for a faculty position at SUNY Oswego. I visited following the recent snow fall, so I know what to expect in that regard. I'm not scared by winters as I have spent a number of years in the midwest. I'd like to hear more about life in Oswego. Ideally, I'd like to live in an older home with "character" within walking distance to campus, but I won't have time for a major renovation project. I have no children at home, so the school system is not an issue. I don't go to dinner very much, so I don't require a vast array of cuisine. I do enjoy cycling and kayaking. What should I know before accepting this offer? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,231,688 times
If you don't mind snow and have a way to make a living, you won't be disappointed with Oswego.

It's very much a 'port city' as one might find on the coast of New England. Summers are perfect. Uncrowded and vast sandy beaches are nearby along the lake. We get 'tall ships' on a regular basis, and there are three marina within the city limits. We have an enormous summer music festival simultaneously along the waterfront and in the many parks in town, all free. Nearly the entirety of the waterfront, along both sides of the river and the lake, have maintained walkways that go on for miles and tie into one another where you can stroll, fish, boat, bike, etal. You could kayak in the harbor, in the lake, or in the river.

Real estate remains relatively the same as sanity would dictate. The average house price is around $78. We never do experience the speculative and inflationary ups and downs. You should be able to find something nice in the $90 to $150 (3-4br), mansions are selling for under $300. There are no bad neighborhoods per se. You'll be able to tell the student housing areas by appearance. It never takes more than 10 minutes to get anywhere around town, though the northermost bridge will be closed this coming year for renovation which will hamper traffic flow for about a year.

Local shopping is sufficient in most cases with some cute new shops downtown. There are brand new national chain stores on the way to Syracuse and a huge mall there. The downtown art deco theatre has been cut up into cineplexes but still maintains a modecum of grandeur, and the best part is that matinees remain at $4.50. Wed nights in summer there are community concerts (bring your own chair) atop the hill in the park next to the two westside marinas, overlooking the lake at sunset and the sailboat races. Thurs are the downtown farmer's market and rock concert behind the riverfront hotels. Other cultural venues are provided on campus.

We are an hour or so to wine country in the Finger Lakes, the Adirondack Mtns, 1000 Islands, Kingston (Ont). Ottawa and Toronto are 3hrs +/-. NYC or Boston are a day's drive. It doesn't get much better than this. Crime is almost non-existent, and people are friendly. You should have no problem.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM

26 posts, read 218,535 times
what will you be teaching?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
If you don't mind snow and have a way to make a living, you won't be disappointed with Oswego.
Thank you, SGoldie, for your very helpful and informative reply. Everyone I met in the department was extremely nice, and I enjoyed my visit a great deal.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:37 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,658,876 times
Default A little off point, but...

I went to SUNY Oswego in 1977-78. I used to frequent a dive bar called "The Ferris Wheel."

Is it still there?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,231,688 times
Sorry, I don't drink so I have no knowledge of any of the bars. There are plenty of them though and several newer looking ones.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:09 PM

640 posts, read 2,003,593 times
Oswego downtown has seen better days, but the Lake location in the summer is fantastic. One of the best Reniassance fairs is in Sterling NY...nearby.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,893 times
Default The Ferris Wheel

That bar is no longer here. :-)

Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallkiller728 View Post
what will you be teaching?
Thanks, everyone. I accepted the position in the Computer Science department and will be moving to Oswego this July. We're very much looking forward to living in our new community.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,553 times
Default I went to college at SUNYCO, and know a bit...

First off, I am startled to hear that the Wheel is closed. What about Old City Hall? The owner is the same, and I can not even fathom him EVER closing either. ... wait... a sec...i have a room full of students.... campus and walking distance are only feasible if you have classes at old campus, or enjoy a healthy hike through students, and much snow. they plow well...i'll have to get back to this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York