Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times

Advertisements

BTW-

IF you want to check out teaching vacancies in the district, the website is

ArlingtonPersonnel "dot com"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM

27 posts, read 109,999 times
OMG!!!! I've never seen anything like this! Have you considered becoming a real estate agent? If I end up in Dutchess you should get a commission - LOL!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:37 AM

NO, I am not an agent...although people have tried desperately to get me to sell..or become a loan officer (I was in banking long time back--but gave it up because I was tired of making money for others!!!)...

LOL...I am just a mom of two small kids..that lives in the district. LOL....thank you for the kind words.

BTW--I dont want anyone to think I am selling on dutchess county...or arlington schools..I just know the websites and stuff.

Actually my firm belief is that you SHOULDNT blame the school disctricts if your child is lacking in anything. I think resposibility starts at home with childrens schooling. I mean the best school district isnt going to get your kid into yale, and the worst school district isnt going to get your kids addicted to crack.....So while I talk about arlington schools...all the schools are fare rather well...Same with Putnam county....but it all depends on how far you want to commute..dutchess is farther up.

But no..I dont get any commision, I dont know a real estate agent or loan officer..and I am NOT one myself...I just have the website memorized for school delays and closing purposes!!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 AM

10 posts, read 54,728 times
Mahopac is a village in the town of Carmel, kind of confusing but I grew up in the area and can tell that both places remain very separate from each other. I was born and raised in Mahopac and went through the school system. Mahopac schools are rated higher than Carmel in terms of academics, Mahopac has also had higher budgets for sports and other extra curricular activites in the past. I would say both districts are getting over crowded at this point. My brother is a Carmel Police officer and would probably tell you that Carmel has more criminal activity than Mahopac, although nothing major exists in either area. Taxes are extremely high in both and housing costs are starting to level off but still over inflated in my opinion. I am moving back to the area from Atlanta in a few months and personally have chosen Orange county rather than going back to Putnam. the schools are as good or better and taxes are much lower. You should consider it...

Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 PM

How are they different? I know that's probably close to impossible to answer, but you grew up with it so you might as well say whatever cliches you're thinking! LOL! We all have opinions about our home towns that we can't prove, but instinctively know are true. Do some people look down on others? What stereotypes are there? Don't worry, I won't take anything verbatim, it's just your opinion. But I'd really appreciate your opinion! Thanks, and by the way I love your name, "hatesthesouth"!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM

ditto to "hates the south"..carmel schools are just "okay"..mahopac are higher rated.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,375,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatesthesouth
Mahopac is a village in the town of Carmel, kind of confusing but I grew up in the area and can tell that both places remain very separate from each other. I was born and raised in Mahopac and went through the school system. Mahopac schools are rated higher than Carmel in terms of academics, Mahopac has also had higher budgets for sports and other extra curricular activites in the past. I would say both districts are getting over crowded at this point. My brother is a Carmel Police officer and would probably tell you that Carmel has more criminal activity than Mahopac, although nothing major exists in either area. Taxes are extremely high in both and housing costs are starting to level off but still over inflated in my opinion. I am moving back to the area from Atlanta in a few months and personally have chosen Orange county rather than going back to Putnam. the schools are as good or better and taxes are much lower. You should consider it...
YEP...Mahopac schools are rated higher academically than Carmel schools. Eventhough we're down the road from CHS, we were planning on sending our son to a Catholic HS (either in Somers or Whiteplains). It would have been worth the trip! Taxes are high, especially the school taxes & they're going up again in Carmel.

What criminal activity are you talking about in Carmel? Quality of life or felony? It's pretty quiet here. You do get the unruly teenagers at the movie theater on Fri & Sat nights & some activity at Putnam Plz. DWI seems to be the "big ticket" item. Other than that, it's pretty quiet around here. The village of Brewster, on the other hand, is becoming a little hot bed of criminal activity. Brewster has no police dept. of it's own, it's patrolled by the Sheriff's Dept. & NY State Police. They've just hired part time Constables to patrol the Village during certain hours. Carmel & Kent have their own police depts.

BxRosie

Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 AM

Now we're getting somewhere... sigh. Of course, it was easier thinking that both high schools were great, but didn't seem logical. Somehow the more people talk the more info comes out. It's tough cause I know that the scores don't mean much so hearing someone was going to send their kid to a private school means more. Darn - Mahopac is more expensive... Of course, there seem to be places in Carmel that are in the Mahopac school district. That probably affects the price though. Boy am I glad I started investigating early! As for Brewster, I could tell when we drove through. And the funny thing is that we actually talked to a real estate agent who kept pushing Brewster even though we mentioned we'd driven through town and saw all the illegals. By the way, what is "Putnam Plz"?

Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 AM

BTW, if it's not too nosy, why were you considering Catholic H.S.? It occurs to me I'm assuming the academics at Carmel weren't good enough but you might have different reasons (my daughter is in all honors so I'm looking for a place geared towards that.) Thanks!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM

stay away from brewster...I know that it doesnt look bad..and its not horrific....(I always laugh because its hilarious to see how the kids "rough it up here" kwim?)---But you dont want to go down that road.

I think because there isnt a whole lot to do in carmel..that you just have kids who hang out with alot of free time on their hands....thats my guess...whereas up we are (or farther down south near the mahopac/yorktown areas)..they are more industry, more parent involvement....you just get to know the locals.

Ironically we are thinking very seriousely of moving closer to the city....on the OTHER side though...and are researching rockland schools and orange county.

The only place in orange county that I would consider though is the monroe school district....very very highly rated, and at least near shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York