U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,230 times

Advertisements

I know there's probably thousands of un-employment questions on here, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Everything on official sites seem to be in another language to me, and are very hard to follow.

Anyway, recently I was employed through a contractor. We are cleaning up a factory, but once things slow down again I can guarantee a lay off period. My question is how long do you have to work to qualify for NY un-employment OR is it based on wages? Any reference websites would be great along with the answer, obviously.

Thanks everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,171,700 times
How long have you had this job & were you employed by anyone else during the last calendar year? You need to have been employed for at least 2 of the last 4 quarters (6 out of the last 12 months).

New York State Department of Labor - Before You Apply For Unemployment

Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 AM

35,222 posts, read 35,670,715 times
It is based on a min. length of employment and min. amount of wages during that time period. You need both to qualify.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
How long have you had this job & were you employed by anyone else during the last calendar year? You need to have been employed for at least 2 of the last 4 quarters (6 out of the last 12 months).

New York State Department of Labor - Before You Apply For Unemployment
I have no idea what that means. I've been to that website but I don't understand quarters and all that stuff. That's why I posted here - to get an answer in plain english, not some crazy lingo.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,171,700 times
There is really no easy answer. Without knowing exactly how long you have worked during the last 15 months & how much you have made during that time (as well as total for each individual quarter) it is impossible for any of us on here to tell you if you will qualify.

A quarter is a quarter of a year = 13 weeks.

Base Period = The primary base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to the calendar quarter in which your claim is effective.

You need to have been employed for at least 26 weeks during your base period & you need to have made at least $1600 during one of the quarters (13 weeks periods) during that time. You also need to have made at least 1.5 times your high quarter wages during your base period.

The easiest way to find out if you qualify is to file a claim as soon as you become unemployed. They will have all of your information & either they will approve you or they wont.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 PM

922 posts, read 3,598,740 times
You also need to be employed on the payroll. If you were an independent contractor or working "under the table" you won't qualify for benefits because your former "employer" would not have been paying into the fund with unemployment insurance taxes on your wages

Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,109,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
You also need to be employed on the payroll. If you were an independent contractor or working "under the table" you won't qualify for benefits because your former "employer" would not have been paying into the fund with unemployment insurance taxes on your wages
The poster above is correct if your working for a contractor and they aren't paying in taxes on you. Your considered self-employed . To find out for sure look at your pay stubs are they taking out federal, and state taxes? If so post and let us know.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Yeah they are taking taxes out apparent to my pay stub. I'm not under the table, then. Thank goodness. I really hope the factory stays in good business during the winter or I may get layed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York