Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 33,318 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a more scenic route or routes to make my way across New York this fall, on my way up to the coast of Maine. I'll actually be starting in Pennsylvania near Emmitsburg. I realize I have to get on the interstate part of the way to save time, but I am totally unfamiliar with New York State and points north, and would like an alternative to I-84. Just from reading previous threads, I see the general consensus via the interstate route is to go I-81 in PA, then I-84 around Scranton, take I-84 all the way across New York, then to I-90 in Massachusetts, and then 495 to 95.

I would not mind if it took me two or even three days to arrive in Maine. I would appreciate any advice on more picturesque routes as I see this part of the country for the first time. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:12 PM

93,344 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgal View Post
I'm looking for a more scenic route or routes to make my way across New York this fall, on my way up to the coast of Maine. I'll actually be starting in Pennsylvania near Emmitsburg. I realize I have to get on the interstate part of the way to save time, but I am totally unfamiliar with New York State and points north, and would like an alternative to I-84. Just from reading previous threads, I see the general consensus via the interstate route is to go I-81 in PA, then I-84 around Scranton, take I-84 all the way across New York, then to I-90 in Massachusetts, and then 495 to 95.

I would not mind if it took me two or even three days to arrive in Maine. I would appreciate any advice on more picturesque routes as I see this part of the country for the first time. Thanks very much.
Maybe take Route 15 or 11 to Route 17 East to I-88(Route 7) to I-90. Maybe take I-81 to Route 20, just south of Syracuse and take that East to about Albany, where it ends to I-90 that way. There are so many ways to go.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,339 times
Another option. Take I-81 to Binghamton, then I-88 to Albany. Cooperstown could then be a stay over. Both routes are interstate. Another route, and very scenic I understand, is route 20.
Take I-81 to near Syracuse and then go on route 20 east to Albany. Note though that 20 is not an interstate. Have a good trip.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
I agree with Homer...Rt 20 is gorgeous.

If you get your timing right...and don't mind a few extra bucks and want a real adventure...come out through Long Island and take the Orient Point Ferry to New London CT. From there you can catch I-395 N to I-90/I-495. Then take Rt 1 vice I-95 in Maine.

Long Island is gorgeous in the fall...the north shore is dotted with wineries and pumpkin farms. You do have to plan correctly to get through NYC though.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
I was going to suggest the Long Island route as well.

My suggested route through NYC would be to take the Staten Island Expressway over the Verrazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway, which on the Eastbound side generally isn't too bad on weekdays before the afternoon rush. The ride over the Verrazano itself is impressive, and you can pull off the Belt into a parking area and take scenic waterfront pictures of the Narrows, the bridge and the harbor, then get a hot dog at Coney Island.

The Belt seems to have more traffic on weekends when all of the Brooklynites get in their cars after taking the subway back and forth to work all week. Avoid the Lincoln and Holland tunnels and the GW Bridge at all costs.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Rt 20 may well be one of the worlds prettiest roads, in a quiet bucolic manner of course.
But for an Interstate 84 also has many quite beautiful stretchs-hands down prettiest I road in US.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Wow, thank you so much for all these suggestions. And just to show you how technologically naive I am, is there a GPS system you can buy that you can plug in the route you want to take? I've got the basic Tom-Tom, and it only allows me to enter an address. I'm not able to "tell" it I want to take a certain road, e.g. route 20.

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions. I would never have thought about Long Island Sound. I definitely need to consider that. And I most definitely will take route 20 at least part of the way. Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:04 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
I guess it depends on whether you want a mountain route or seashore route! Being from PA, you are probably quite used to mountains.

Another suggestion would be to head up the Hudson Valley. The mountains dropping into the huge river create stunning vistas along route 9W as it winds its way through several state parks and cool little historic towns. With this route you'd basically be stuck with I-84 because there is no other east-west artery in this region, unless you stayed on 9W all the way to the NYS Thruway near Albany (I-90). If you took this route, you'd want to take I-287 through NJ to I-87 (NYS Thruway), then head southbound toward the Tappan Zee bridge, but exit onto 9W north in Nyack before the bridge.

Regarding your question about GPS systems, I don't know, but Google Maps can certainly do that. Just pull the route line over the roads you want to take and it will reconfigure itself and the directions.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:45 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
As has been sugusted by HomerBrink the heart-stopping aspect of Rt 20 is from just east of Syracuse, on to Albany from it heights just before Cazenovia you see the northermost extention of The Appallacians , east of Utica great vistas up and down the Mohawk Valley etc.
The sheer beauty of Upstate NY is one of the least known facts to most americans.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 AM

Well, after I posted my last comments, I read two articles from the New York Times about traveling on route 20. That settles it! It's got everything I'm looking for. I'll probably stay on it to cross the state, with a few detours as mentioned by UpstaterinBklyn and others; in fact, I may not ever reach Maine - haha. Again, I appreciate these very helpful recommendations.

UpstaterinBklyn, thanks for letting me know about Google Maps. I had no idea you could do that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York