U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 PM

63,419 posts, read 88,892,383 times

Advertisements

What are some communities that could benefit from the funding of this program? NY Main Street Program

Here are some communities that have benefited from this program: http://www.nymainstreet.org/communityprofiles.php
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,015,293 times
Seems like another waste of taxpayer money. They should focus on tax cuts for small businesses who open up in those areas and make good physical changes. If the area can sustain itself, it won't need to be propped up by the state. Cities would gain tax revenues, and could make infrastructure improvements on it's own dime.

Why should I (in Amherst) have to pay for Ithica to get new lampposts? Why should someone in Wallkill have to pay for new sidewalks here in Williamsville? It don't think you want to pay for your neighbor's new pool, and I don't think you want you poorer neighbor paying for your house... Why should it be any different at this level?

That being said, Elmira could really use the funds, as could Binghampton, I think Springville could too... All I can really think of right now.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Seems like another waste of taxpayer money. They should focus on tax cuts for small businesses who open up in those areas and make good physical changes. If the area can sustain itself, it won't need to be propped up by the state. Cities would gain tax revenues, and could make infrastructure improvements on it's own dime.

Why should I (in Amherst) have to pay for Ithica to get new lampposts? Why should someone in Wallkill have to pay for new sidewalks here in Williamsville? It don't think you want to pay for your neighbor's new pool, and I don't think you want you poorer neighbor paying for your house... Why should it be any different at this level?

That being said, Elmira could really use the funds, as could Binghampton, I think Springville could too... All I can really think of right now.
What I think is interesting is that the cities mentioned also serve people from other parts of the state, generally college students and in the case of Saranac Lake, tourists.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What I think is interesting is that the cities mentioned also serve people from other parts of the state, generally college students and in the case of Saranac Lake, tourists.
That's true, but honestly, these college towns are already living off the government dole. Do they really need even MORE money?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
That's true, but honestly, these college towns are already living off the government dole. Do they really need even MORE money?
Actually, Ithaca has two private colleges, with a little bit state investment into Cornell.

Also, I don't know if turning all colleges into private institutions would be the way to go. Maybe some, public/private partnerships, but I don't know if making all colleges private is the way to go.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Also, I don't know if turning all colleges into private institutions would be the way to go. Maybe some, public/private partnerships, but I don't know if making all colleges private is the way to go.
I agree, I think that public schools are a very good asset of any state. State colleges are very good, rich people can afford them very easily, but they pay more into them, the poor can't afford them so well, but on the other hand they put very little or nothing into taxes, so that is fair as well.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I agree, I think that public schools are a very good asset of any state. State colleges are very good, rich people can afford them very easily, but they pay more into them, the poor can't afford them so well, but on the other hand they put very little or nothing into taxes, so that is fair as well.
I would think that would sound more like the situation with private schools. I think state schools, generally, allow students from more of a working or middle class background to go to college, due to being more affordable, relatively speaking. For instance, look at the tuition for the SUNY schools(even the "really good ones") versus schools like Canisius, Syracuse, Cornell, Niagara, St. Bonaventure and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or